Custom Sheath Makers?

Deanster

Enlightened
Hi all! I'm looking to get a custom sheath made for my Leatherman Juice S2. I currently have the 'Deluxe leather' sheath from Leatherman, and I've never been more dissapointed with a Leatherman product. It's cheaply made, doesn't fit well, as it's sized to cover any Juice model, which vary considerably in thickness, and it doesn't snap securely. I've liked my previous Leatherman sheaths, both nylon and leather, very much, but this one bites.

Several custom sheath makers were named over in the 'how do you carry your stuff' thread, but it looks like most are Kydex makers. I'm not a big fan of Kydex, I'd rather leather. Any suggestions for a decent-quality maker who won't break the bank? I'd like the sheath to be cheaper than the tool!

Any advice appreciated.

cabletech

Newly Enlightened
Hey just checked out that site, leather work, they have some nice stuff. I did find out you can check on having one custom made for your needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have had probably 10 sheaths made for me by Richard Dix at Dix Leatherworks. They are just awesome. Excellent craftsmanship, excellent design at a VERY reasonable price. The guy is just a leather artist.

see http://www.leatherwork.com.

Give him a call, I am sure he can help you out.

J

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Hi Matt,

Richard's sheaths are very secure. They form fit to the tool or light pretty quickly.

At first I was leery of the sheaths with no flap over them. But he talked me into one, and now they are all that I use. Because he molds the leather to them, they fit perfectly. There is enough friction to hold the told in securely - you can't even shake them out but they draw out nicely. This makes them exceedingly user friendly.

He makes them tight and you generally need to put your device in them for a day or two for the leather to really stretch out in the right places. He made a holder for me for my 6P light and it seemed a little tight. I read a hint here about putting it in a plastic bag and then back in the sheath. In an hour, it was just perfect.

You will love these sheaths. I totally swear by them. On top of that, he is just one helluva nice guy too.

J.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Try this:

705-787-0227

I called him and didn't actually get him but its the right answering machine.

J

Maple_Syrup

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dix Leatherworks

[ QUOTE ]
JohnJ80 said:
I called him and didn't actually get him but its the right answering machine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I too have tried calling him, but I always get the answering machine; and he never returns my calls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

About three years ago, I ordered one of his combo-companions for my Leatherman Wave. I was very impressed with the excellent workmanship, which was really top-notch.

This past December, I decided to order a custom boot-top companion for my Supertool 2000, and was quoted a price of C$86.52. Stupidly, I paid the full amount up front (trusting soul that I am!). Five and a half months later, and I'm still waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Rick didn't respond to my email and voicemail enquiries until March 17th, when he finally said that he would be sending the product "by the weekend" (i.e., March 20th), and would be throwing in a standard companion sheath as consolation for the delay.

When nothing happened, I made further enquiries, and on April 17th I finally received the following response:
[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to let you know that you don't need to fear at all. I'm way behind these days, but have the one sheath done and the other being made now. I do apologise for causing you concern, and admit to being embarrassed about the time lag on your order. Please don't be concerned. You will get your sheaths.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since then, I've heard nothing further, despite additional enquiries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am unable to recommend that anyone deal with Dix Leatherworks: good products, but atrocious customer service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif