pill bottle with weekday reminder?

paulr

Flashaholic
I try to take a vitamin pill every day, and sometimes forget whether I've taken one on any particular day. I seem to remember once seeing a pill bottle which had a reminder built into the cap. The reminder was just a little dial that you would turn to point to the current day of the week (mon-tues-wed-etc.) So on tuesday, you'd point the dial to tuesday and take a pill. If you saw the dial already pointed to tuesday, it means you already took the pill for that day.

Have any of you seen something like this, or am I imagining it? It seems like a cool idea.

I went to the drugstore and the pharmacist had never seen anything like it, but they had some containers with seven separate compartments. That works ok, but it means you have to refill it from a separate bottle once a week. So I like the dial scheme a little better.

Greta

Flashaholic
paul... I work in a pharmacy and I've never heard or seen anything like that. Although it does seem pretty clever. I'm the same way with forgetting if I took my pills or not. The days seem to run together in that aspect. I take a vitamin, two Cal-Mag-Zincs and Clarinex every night before I go to bed so I do have one of those little 7 day pill boxes. I fill it every Sunday night and put it up on the window sill above the sink. Water glass next to it. It's also nice to have if going out of town... just grab the box and it's all set to go. I'd be lost without it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked for something similar before. Closest thing I ever found was the seven seperate compartments thing. If you ever find that built in reminder thing, let us all know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif In the meantime, I just use a tiny calender and check off the days.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
We have two of the seven day pill boxes. I ask my wife where she got them and she said you can get them at any drug store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif She said she got them for free years ago.
They are a long rectangular box with dividers and they have the days of the week on top.

Empath

Flashaholic
There are several kinds of electronic reminder pill boxes that could be set for daily reminders, such as this one. It can be set to signal you as long as 100 hours intervals.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, I don't want anything fancy or electronic. A normal pill bottle with a dial on top seems just right for this purpose. I really don't know if I've seen such a thing or not. One reason I'm asking about it is that in case it hasn't already been made, there's a published description now.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i takepills that cost somuch i seldem forget but a pill box works for me and i have a programi dled from the net

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take enough meds that I have 2 of the 7 day boxes. One large and one small. Only one med currently is twice per day, so that goes in the small one for the second taking of it. The rest go in the big one. Meds are for diabetes, Cholesterol, and heart.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have to take an antibiotic every day. If you just have to take 1 pill do what I did. I thought a 7 day box would be a PITA for 1 pill so I took an Altoids® Tiny Tin and put a post-it on the lid that reads:
SMTWHFS

On Sunday I take 1 pill and put 6 in the box. Monday I take one, leaving 5 in the box. Tuesday I take 1, leaving 4 in the box, etc. etc.

If you take more than 1 type of pill it might not work, but if you only take the 1...

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The annoyance, is when I get prescribed something for 3 times per day, with a 2 times/day setup. So I keep some empty prescription bottles around of varying sizes for just that purpose. I have yet to get prescribed something for 4 times/day.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i got some multi-vitamens about a month ago, but i think i've only remembered to take them once... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

then of course you can't take them on an empty stomach either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DBrier

Enlightened
After I had my Kidney transplant, I was taking pills five times a day. Now I am down to four times a day and this week I am getting that down to three. I still take 24 pills total. Get a watch with an alarm or use the one in your cell phone, that is what I did.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr,

I have not seen a device like you discribe.

My wife and I take quite a few meds/vitamins each day and we have developed little routines that not only help us to remember, but that also help us to remind each other.

If you take the pill in the AM this will work best if you have another routine act that you perform EVERY NIGHT. As an example, perhaps you could lay the vitamin bottle on it's side before you go to bed when you:

-- take another med,
-- or let the dog out for the last time,
-- or brush your teeth,
-- or whetever you do EVERY night RIGHT before bedtime.
The vitamin bottle could even be put on your nightstand and turned on it's side when you set your alarm for the night.

When you take your vitamin in the morning you could stand the bottle back up right after you've taken it. Just a glance at any time will tell you if you are up to date.

I know that this sounds kind of dopey but it can work pretty well. We have both used methods like this for years with some pretty serious meds, and either one of us will ask the other what is going on when one of us notices a mistake.

As an alternative to that idea, I also have a digital watch that I can set to sound an alarm at the same time every day. When the alarm goes off and I shut it down, I don't need to re-activate the alarm because once set it will just continue to go off at the same time every day forever. I don't use this method now but I have in the past.