Inexpensive Mod Host / Parts host Quest AA

jhereg

Enlightened
I was in ****'s sporting good today & found an interesting flashlight in their camping section. It is a Quest 2AA flashlight. Approximately the same length as a Minimag, but it has a clickie switch on the tailcap. They come in a 3 pack in the colors of red, blue & silver. Normal price was $15.00 & they were marked down to $7.50.

Here are the discoveries I have made at this point.
1) I can screw a normal mag tailcap into this flashlight. The clickie tailcap from this light would start into a Minimag, but bound up halfway in. I lightly filed the peaks off off of the threads on the tailcap & it works.

2) A minimag bezel & reflector both work on this flashlight. This is good because the reflector on this appears too deep. The beam consists of a thin ring w/ the normal reflector. Has a decent beam for a cheap AA with the mag reflector. The Minimag which donated the reflector for this test seemed to have a better beam with the deeper reflector from this light. Makes a decent trade.

3) the head uses normal threads. Not the threads the Minimag does. Head is not interchangeable.

4) Uses the same style bulbs as a Minimag, but the mounting system is different. Does not have the lip that retains the mounting system. Does not appear that it would work with a normal sandwich.

5) The clickie is the style that comes on when released.

I like this light. Don't know if I will use it intact or as parts, but it seems to work pretty well. At $7.50 for 3 flashlights plus 3 wrist lanyards, 3 extra bulbs & 6 batteries. it is a pretty good deal.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good alternative for those who hate Gag.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I cut the reflectors and put them in my SLGI's - they work well with the LUX's.

Used the rubber switch domes for my Rayovac 4AA/uFlex lantern mods to make waterproof uFlex pushbutton.

Drilled the reflector and bulb holder on one and stuffed a 2-cell Night Pearl PR-based LED (5mm) in there - very nice perfectly round beam with some spill using sputtered reflector. Throw is outstanding for a 5mm LED.

Add a decent bipin bulb, lightly sputter the reflector and wrap the head/body threads with teflon tape - makes really nice "giveaway" light. Clickie (momentary "off") has a nice feel to it.

Machining and anodizing is not great, but an excellent value for the useable parts alone.

John