Laptop recommendation sought

Geode

Enlightened
I would really appreciate any recommendations on a laptop that is reasonably powerful and well-priced.

My usage would be mostly word processing, spreadsheet, and SAS work, with some internet surfing. Not a Gamer or multi media guy. Good screen resolution would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what your price range is but a relative told me the Tiger Direct outlet store in Raleigh, NC has IBM off lease T20/21's for $300 and up to $650. This is not their on line store but an outlet store in the Southpoint mall IIRC. (only been there once) The clerk says they are off lease business machines.
They have 2 other outlet stores in IL and FL.
correction: not in the southpoint mall, that's in durham.

utomatoe

Enlightened
I use my laptop everyday and my reccommendation is IBM or Dell. I heard the newer HP laptops are better, but the older ones (HP/Compaq), I didn't really like. I avoid Toshiba entirely, I've had 3 bad ones...

I've talked to some laptop repair ppl and they say that Asus is a good bet to try, same with hitachi.

I still say go with Dell Inspirons. Close to IBM quality at close to half the cost. Wide availability of parts and excellent service.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about new Dell laptops--but the older ones (2-4 years old) had problems with keyboards and batteries that died at very young ages. Had people I worked with, who used to work at Dell, that confirmed the problems.

-Bill

Geode

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Wait, what's SAS?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a statistical program. I like data.

I appreciate all your opinions - the more the better. I have never owned a laptop, but have owned many desktops.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Word Processing, and especially spreadsheet would look great on a Powerbook with a wide display. There's probably some good stats programs too. I'll look into it and get back to ya.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am the happy owner of a G4 powerbook with a widescreen display. The display on this machine has completely spoiled me. I can never go with anything smaller, it feels too small! It's bright, colorful, clear and just great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you get a bigger screen, you won't regret it. But that doesn't just mean going with the screen that has the highest resolution in the smallest package. You won't like that and LCD's don't run at lower resolutions with the same clarity as a CRT does. Don't expect to be able to crank it down to 800x600 or 1024x768 from something higher and have a clear picture. It won't.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first question you need to ask yourself is "do I need a laptop" i.e. do you intend to work with the computer on your lap. Laptops today have both grown and shrunk, you can get nice little and light ones or big heavy desktop replacements. I think its the keeping up with the jonse's syndrome, the same thing that makes people buy a more expensive car that their neighbors has worked it way into laptops. So if your actually going to work with the machine on your lap, don't go for the biggest, fastest, laptop otherwise you will end up with hot numb legs. If your going to use the laptop mostly on a desk, consider a slim desktop case and a LCD monitor for the better performance, less price and more upgradability. Since you not into games that much and more into work look at the business lines of laptops instead of the "home user" lines. Dell for example makes an Inspiron and Latitude line. The Inspiron will have better graphics and sound but usually not as sturdy case or as good of a keyboard. The Latitude line may not have latest and greatest processor but will be a sturdier system, better keyboard and most importantly better cooling. Same goes with HP/Compaq/Toshiba/whomever. The Dell Latitude are nice ,machines, so are the Compaq Evo.

Deanster

Enlightened
Good advice so far -

don't get a laptop unless you NEED a laptop, right now. IMHO, Apple makes the best laptops out there today, and the only ones I'd spend my own money on, given any choice at all - great battery life, everything integrated, great software, but many prefer Windows.

My experience, however, is that Windows laptops do really poorly over time - they're highly integrated packages, and when you upgrade the OS, it's often a bit rough from then on.

IBM makes great laptops, but you pay for it. Dell makes pretty good laptops most of the time (there are a few real problem children), and you get more than you paid for. Huge fan of their 'Complete Care' all-hazards warranty.

You couldn't get me to take an HP, Compaq, Toshiba or Sony for free, much less with personal money. I'm sure someone has had a good experience with these brands, but mine points me away.

I'd buy Apple first, IBM with someone else's money, and Dell Latitude if I needed to buy a Windows laptop with my own $$.

Finally, I'll say that I really like smaller machines - if you really NEED a portable machine, having it be small enough to carry easily is a HUGE plus. 6lbs is my absolute top end, and I love my 12" powerbook at 4.6lbs.

Geode

Enlightened
Eugene and Deanster,

You are correct about whether this is the right type of computer to get. I will only occasionally take advantage of portability.

The big plus for me really is how much quieter the laptops seem. I just bought a Dell 4600 desktop and it is a pretty noisy sucker compared to the 8200 which was it's predecessor. What seems to be driving up the noise level of all desktops is the cooling needs imposed by the systems - met by case fans, chip fans, PSU fans, and others.

I have tried to find a quiet desktop, but to no avail. It does not have to be silent, just not sound like a small refrigerator.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be very careful then, not all laptops are quiet. Some sold today are "desktop replacements" and come with desktop processors and the noisy fans that accompany them. The worst laptops I've seen as far as being propritary to where you pretty much can't upgrade the OS are Sony, some manufacturers won't support a new OS on some models but Sony's you are really stuck. When it comes to Apple its really an apples to oranges thing, you can't really compare them to pc based laptops because they are completely different from the inside, so if your already an apple user then an apple laptop makes sense, if you already use a pc then an apple will require you to unlearn what you know and re-learn everything different. Thats about the nicest I can say about those, but from working for a reseller they did have an abnormally high rate of warranty and non warranty problems when compared to some of the bigger brand names (it was a pain because apple had a catch 22 that you couldn't become service authorized without being already service authorized, so we had to waste a lot of time handing off those calls).

Astro_Saber_III

Newly Enlightened
I had a NEC laptop, and it was garbage. Spent more time in the repair center than actual use. I have not seen many NEC laptops anymore - good thing in my opinion.

Got a Sony Vio, first LCD screen went out, returned it and got a second different Sony, it's battery charging circuit failed after about 3 weeks. 3rd laptop from CircuitCity was a Sharp, and it never failed me yet (1.2 years old so far)

A few things to think about"
If your mainly going to be word processing, than make sure you get a good keyboard, and as close to full size as possable. Make sure the keyboard keys have good tactile feedback and a decent amount of "travel" on the keys. A good wordprocessing laptop will not be a micro laptop, due to the larger keyboard.

If portability is the issue, then a smaller 12" screen laptops should fit the job.

A few things to keep in mind, metal cased laptops are strong, but will show all dings & dents. I also like the bottom of the laptop to be made of metal - stronger frame makes a more rugged laptop. Cost of a replacement battery is something to keep in the back of your mine, because after a few years of using the laptop, you'll probably need a new battery. Faster laptops eat batteries, so if your word processing, you don't need a 3.2Ghz. Built in Wi-Fi is nice to have too

Buy from a reliable merchant with a decent return policy. I had problems with my first 2 laptops, but the store was happy to return both and i've been happy with the Sharp since.

Harrkev

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geode said:
Eugene and Deanster,

You are correct about whether this is the right type of computer to get. I will only occasionally take advantage of portability.

The big plus for me really is how much quieter the laptops seem. I just bought a Dell 4600 desktop and it is a pretty noisy sucker compared to the 8200 which was it's predecessor. What seems to be driving up the noise level of all desktops is the cooling needs imposed by the systems - met by case fans, chip fans, PSU fans, and others.

I have tried to find a quiet desktop, but to no avail. It does not have to be silent, just not sound like a small refrigerator.

[/ QUOTE ]

One trick is to open up the case of a desktop system and put sound-absorbing mat maerial in the case. This is the same stuff that they sell in car audio stores to install in car doors. It can be pricey, but might be worth it. You can also replace all of your fans with low-rpm ones. Almost the same cooling, half the noise.

Latest posts