Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 volt lithium D cells

Default 1.5 volt lithium D cells

I have a number of lights that take multiple D cells. I would like to use Lithium for storage life, but I can't find any 1.5V lithium D cells. I have found 3 volt lithium D cells. So here's an idea that somebody who is so inclined could make some money off of.

A switchable resister D cell Spacer. The switch positions would be numbered 1 to however many. The numbers would represent the number of batteries that the device is supposed to use.

If the device uses 3 D cells, you would use two 3 volt lithium D cells, and the spacer set to position 3. If the device uses 4 D cells, you would use three 3 volt lithium D cells and the spacer set to position 4.

Of course, if anyone could point me to 1.5 volt lithium D cells, that would be preferable. I also could use 1.5 volt lithium C cells.

Default Re: 1.5 volt lithium D cells

This would be better off in "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included"
    And if you look there, the thread about AA lithiums explains 1.5 V chemistry is controlled by one company. D cell solution if the device uses an even number of D cells is half lithiums and half spacers. A simple resistor is not a good solution for several reasons. Search for Ohm's law here and on Google.

I looked around for the best forum and found several battery threads on "General Flashlights". I Guess I missed the Electronic forum. How do I get this thread moved to the right place.

My problem is that some of my favorite D cell LED lights take three batteries. I would hate to fry a good light on an experiment using two 3 volt batteries and a spacer.

I'm pretty sure these lights are not regulated - too many LEDs, too low a price.

Oops! It looks like the thread has alreday been moved.

A moderator already moved it for you. I did forget to mention using 1.5 V AA cells in a D adapter which is also discussed in several threads here. The simplest for your use would either be single cell or multiple cells in parallel.

Flashaholic*

JimH, where did you find 3 volts lithium d cells?
    I've been looking for these for some time now.

Hmm, 3V D cells? 18V lithium-powered nuclear Maglite. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Two makers I know of, likely others:
    Ultralife
    Taridan

Where to buy? That's a different question! Anyone?

Flashaholic*

holy monkeys! that's pretty expensive!

Youy crack me up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif[/img]. Good one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

I would also recommend using AA Lithium cells in AA-to-D adapters. I have a couple of these which I use, very handy - I use them so that I can use AA rechargables as well - since I have quite a few which I use for other devices, and they're much cheaper than D size rechargables too.

[ QUOTE ]
    JimH said:
    There out there - just have to find a good source.

http://www.houseofbatteries.com/lithium.htm

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/saf/saf104.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check out this piece of info, tho?

The LS 33600C cell is optimized for load profiles with a small (10-100microamp) quiescent drain and pulses of 10-130mA, typical of many metering and instrumentation devices, where a single cell would provide sufficient capacity for a lifetime of around a decade.

Maybe we could put one if these D Cells on an ARC AAA head, and use it as an emergency light (for the next 10 years). Because I don't think my Blaster VI is gonna like it too much, considering it wants somewhere in the neighborhood of 750mA.

Flashaholic*

The simplest way to use lithium D cells is to change the bulb. For example, in your 3D lights, use a good 9v bulb or search these forums for some recommendations of bulbs to substitute in 9v applications.
    Saft and others do have some hi current suitable Lithium D cells. Search this (battery) forum - its come up before..... -RussH

OK, I've seen the CRV3 (a 3 volt lithium the size of two AA side by side) implemented as two 3 volt AA sized cells permanently wired in parallel. I thought that was a "no-no" due to the possibility that one cell may be weaker than the other or short out and cause the good one to discharge.

I guess that's not as much of a problem as I thought.

So why not take 3 Eveready L91 lithiums, strap them together in a cylindrical shape and wire them in parallel? A little spacer on each end would be needed. Instant 1.5 volt (nominal) 9ah D cell, only 6 dollars per unit.

Daniel

Great idea. Thanks. I'll give it a try If I ever get time. 4 wheeling season is starting, and I'm pretty busy getting ready.

Flashaholic*

I've even seen some 4AA to D adaptors somewhere...

Do you mean 1.5 volt lithium D ?
    http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html

Darn. There really is nothing new under the sun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Well.... nothing simple.

Any idea if Aventrade is a reputable dealer? They have some good prices on SLA batteries.

Daniel

Flashaholic

Hmmm, I may have to order some of those 4-1 holders for some testing... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chris

fivemega,
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered a dozen. I'll let you know how it works out.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Gadget Lover:
    OK, I've seen the CRV3 (a 3 volt lithium the size of two AA side by side) implemented as two 3 volt AA sized cells permanently wired in parallel. I thought that was a "no-no" due to the possibility that one cell may be weaker than the other or short out and cause the good one to discharge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wiring in parallel is fine. They balance each other out. It is wiring in series, especially when there are a lot of cells in series, that one runs the risk of reverse charging.

Think about the logic of it. I tried to write down an explanation but it couldn't do it without illustrations. Sorry.

I think steelwolf is thinking of reverse charge whereas I'm thinking of the bad one draining the good one as the good one tries to charge it. There was a thread about one of the underwater kinetics lights that has a parallel setup. It was an interesting thread because the bad cell generated hydrogen when it was "charged" by the good cells. Loud noises and flying parts happened when the spark from the switch ignited the gas.

So that was my concern here. It's quite possible that the CRV3 uses matched cells to make sure one is not weaker than the other. It may simply be that it's a non-issue with modern lithium sisulfide cells.

Daniel

Chemistry of the cells is Lithium-Manganese Dioxide (Li/MnO2) not Lithium Sulfur. Lithium Sulfur has a few more risks. Lithium Sulfur, as I understand, are under pressure that gets higher as the cells discharge. As primary cells (CRV3), I doubt if any extra steps are taken to match them. They are not rechargeable.

Recharging other chemistries in parallel might result in a more balanced charge if the cells are good.

edit: Note that many manufactuers put a PTC (positive temp. coeffecient, thermistor) device in each lithium primary cell to limit the current it can deliver. Note also they can still deliver plenty to cause burns or a fire.

[ QUOTE ]
    gwbaltzell said:
    Chemistry of the cells is Lithium-Manganese Dioxide (Li/MnO2) not Lithium Sulfur.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't even close. I was actually thinking of the chemestry in the L91, which is something else altogether. Lithium /Fe?

Daniel

Flashaholic

Yep, L91's are lithium-iron... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chris

Flashaholic*

I see what Gadget Lover is getting at. Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking of reverse charging. I don't really know which is worse. Reverse charging, which is a common-place risk in any battery, or just straight charging which is a risk in parallel setup. Afterall, you always see the warning on primary cells about risk of fires, burns or explosion if recharged.

Actually, the rechargables are Lithium - ion.

Cool batteries, with no memory effects! Better charge to wheight ratio (charge density - whatever you want to call it) too.

Hey bindibadgi, want to get rich - come up with a lithium-ion D cell.

I have used this battery adapter for 4x14500 Lithium-ion batteries which are same size of AAs.
    Nominal voltage of 3.7 @ 2600 mAh in size of D

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    JimH said: want to get rich - come up with a lithium-ion D cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why another one? What is bad with the existing Li-Ion D-cells?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast