1.5 volt lithium D cells

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of lights that take multiple D cells. I would like to use Lithium for storage life, but I can't find any 1.5V lithium D cells. I have found 3 volt lithium D cells. So here's an idea that somebody who is so inclined could make some money off of.

A switchable resister D cell Spacer. The switch positions would be numbered 1 to however many. The numbers would represent the number of batteries that the device is supposed to use.

If the device uses 3 D cells, you would use two 3 volt lithium D cells, and the spacer set to position 3. If the device uses 4 D cells, you would use three 3 volt lithium D cells and the spacer set to position 4.

Of course, if anyone could point me to 1.5 volt lithium D cells, that would be preferable. I also could use 1.5 volt lithium C cells.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
This would be better off in "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included"
And if you look there, the thread about AA lithiums explains 1.5 V chemistry is controlled by one company. D cell solution if the device uses an even number of D cells is half lithiums and half spacers. A simple resistor is not a good solution for several reasons. Search for Ohm's law here and on Google.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked around for the best forum and found several battery threads on "General Flashlights". I Guess I missed the Electronic forum. How do I get this thread moved to the right place.

My problem is that some of my favorite D cell LED lights take three batteries. I would hate to fry a good light on an experiment using two 3 volt batteries and a spacer.

I'm pretty sure these lights are not regulated - too many LEDs, too low a price.

Oops! It looks like the thread has alreday been moved.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
A moderator already moved it for you. I did forget to mention using 1.5 V AA cells in a D adapter which is also discussed in several threads here. The simplest for your use would either be single cell or multiple cells in parallel.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Youy crack me up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif. Good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

SomeBloke

Newly Enlightened
I would also recommend using AA Lithium cells in AA-to-D adapters. I have a couple of these which I use, very handy - I use them so that I can use AA rechargables as well - since I have quite a few which I use for other devices, and they're much cheaper than D size rechargables too.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
There out there - just have to find a good source.

http://www.houseofbatteries.com/lithium.htm

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/saf/saf104.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check out this piece of info, tho?

The LS 33600C cell is optimized for load profiles with a small (10-100microamp) quiescent drain and pulses of 10-130mA, typical of many metering and instrumentation devices, where a single cell would provide sufficient capacity for a lifetime of around a decade.

Maybe we could put one if these D Cells on an ARC AAA head, and use it as an emergency light (for the next 10 years). Because I don't think my Blaster VI is gonna like it too much, considering it wants somewhere in the neighborhood of 750mA.

RussH

Enlightened
The simplest way to use lithium D cells is to change the bulb. For example, in your 3D lights, use a good 9v bulb or search these forums for some recommendations of bulbs to substitute in 9v applications.
Saft and others do have some hi current suitable Lithium D cells. Search this (battery) forum - its come up before..... -RussH

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
OK, I've seen the CRV3 (a 3 volt lithium the size of two AA side by side) implemented as two 3 volt AA sized cells permanently wired in parallel. I thought that was a "no-no" due to the possibility that one cell may be weaker than the other or short out and cause the good one to discharge.

I guess that's not as much of a problem as I thought.

So why not take 3 Eveready L91 lithiums, strap them together in a cylindrical shape and wire them in parallel? A little spacer on each end would be needed. Instant 1.5 volt (nominal) 9ah D cell, only 6 dollars per unit.

Daniel

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. Thanks. I'll give it a try If I ever get time. 4 wheeling season is starting, and I'm pretty busy getting ready.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Darn. There really is nothing new under the sun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well.... nothing simple.

Any idea if Aventrade is a reputable dealer? They have some good prices on SLA batteries.

Daniel

Tweek

Enlightened
Hmmm, I may have to order some of those 4-1 holders for some testing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
fivemega,
Thanks for the link. I just ordered a dozen. I'll let you know how it works out.