Green Laser Pointer, Modified (With Pics)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what you do to modify your green laser pointer.

Take a knife or sharp object and pry the button off. Don't worry because it's glued on and it will come off easy. That will expose an adjustment screw. Use a very small screw driver to adjust it until it's the brightest.

I had a 5mW that I adjusted to be brighter then my 27.7mW. I'm guessing it's at least twice as bright. The only downside is, the batteries won't last as long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Edward

Newly Enlightened
Re: Green Laser Pointers, Modified

Is this for the Leadlight pointer or the Chanchun pointer? Yeah Pics would be helpful.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Edward said:
Is this for the Leadlight pointer or the Chanchun pointer? Yeah Pics would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question exactly. Leadlight or Changchun?
Another concern of mine is by boosting the output, you run the risk of burning out the diode. What do you use to calibrate the output after your mod?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe it's a Leadlight. I didn't get this one from Atlas Nova, however. Interesting note though, I could not adjust the 27.7mW "High-Spec" unit any brighter (Not visible anyway). Unfortunately I don't have a measuring device to give you exact readings.

I don't believe there's any more chance of burning out the diode then the "High-Spec" laser, as long as you let it rest frequently, 30 sec on, 30 sec off. After all the "High-Spec" unit has the same diode. However like all mods, Proceed At Your Own Risk!

Here we go:

This is the beast.
LaserMod1.jpg

The button removed. It's kinda hard to see the screw, but it's in there. Use a 1mm or smaller screwdriver.
LaserMod2.jpg

Before the mod.
LaserMod3.jpg

After the mod.
LaserMod4.jpg

Comparison of the 27.7mW "High-Spec" unit on the left, and the modded 5mW on the right.
LaserMod5.jpg

I report, you decide.

greenlasersrule

Newly Enlightened

wow, thats quite a difference! very impressed!

i wanna mod mine, but dont really wanna break it and wanna be able to leave it on for longer periods at a time... maybe one day i will though

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you think that "high spec" lasers are just 5mw lasers where the potentiometer is turned too far?

That kinda sucks because I ordered a high spec one, and if thats what I paid an extra $100 for then thast just plain sucks! I have a feeling the high spec lasers probably are just exactly that, 5mw lasers with the diod adjusted too far!??????????

Can anyone confirm this? If that is true then I might as well sell mine on Ebay and buy a cheaper one and mod it!???????????????????????????????????????

I have not even recieved mine yet!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just a reporter, reporting my findings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif However, just for the record, I got my 5mW unit from a different source, and I paid slightly more for it then I did for the "high-spec" unit, so I can't report on the 5mW from AtlasNova. Maybe an owner of a 5mW would be willing to modify theirs and report to us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

LightScene

Enlightened

Wow! Very Cool!
I nominate this for "Mod of the Year".

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would remind the people here that the reason that most laser pointers are limited to 5mw is the safety concerns; with that amount of power a quick sudden burst of light may only cause the eye to blink or the head to quickly turn away

By modifying the laser pointer beyond that level, even the smallest - quickest amount of light could be enough to inflict serious damage on one of the bodys most delicate and priceless senses; is the cost of having a brighter "toy" worth losing someones sight ?

When I was a kid in grade-school; some kids were throwing rocks at each other, and caught a kid in the eye; I saw that kid - now an adult at a reunion a couple of years ago, and he still has no sight in that eye

Think about it

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes! quick! someone mod their laser! that is so simple I could have saved ALOT of money for a 3 minute mod! Of course you had to find out a Day AFTER I ordered mine...

Nitro, when I spoke with the the guy at atlas nova, he told me that the new 5mw green leadlights are adjusted by a computer or machine to be exactly 4.99mw...He also informed me the "NEW" versions of the leadlights have an LED indicator on them...

Does yours have an LED indicator on it? I second this for mod of the year, except that it is too late to save me my cash! :p

INRETECH, that is a good point, but for those of us who must have the brightest, then we would be saving like 100$ + if this is true for the new as well as the old leadlights. I mean we would be buying them anyways. But responsability is VERY important with a device this powerful.

Again, the reason I was scared to mod one myself was because I thought the laser had to be compleatly removed from the tube to adjsut it. Now I see that is not necessarily the case... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

No LED indicator on it that I can see. I believe it's a Leadlight, but I'm not positive. I'll try to find out.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

When we go and display our flashlights at shows, we put up large "WARNING - BRIGHT FLASHLIGHT" signs, but it never fails that just about everyone picks up our flashlights - and immed shines them into their eyes

It doesn't even take a direct "point in the eye" for a laser pointer to do damage, someone could point it at a very reflective surface like the front of a stereo, the TV screen, a door-knob, a mirror - etc; and get too much light

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Nitro, what do you use to measure the output?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have a measuring device, yet. I do know that my "High-Spec" unit is 27.7mW, via AtlasNova spec.

MikeF

Enlightened

Nitro,
Any chance you might reduce your picture width to arond 600 so it doesn't require scrolling?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike, how's that?

Edward

Newly Enlightened

Nitro how much to the right did you turn the screw? Could you have turned it more?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ed, I wish. It's full tilt! Actually if you turn it too far, it shuts off and starts over get brighter.

Edward

Newly Enlightened

This is so strange. You see pictures of people openeing up lasers when all you need to do is pop a cap and turn a screw it just seems too good to be true. Is there any difference between the people who open the case and mod it that way than the people who do it this very simple way. Also I wonder if this will work with the new leadlight pointers or the chanchun pointers. This appears to be an older leadlight model. Where and when did you purchase it nitro? Thanks.