Mossberg 500a, Full Sight Set?

Hobo

Newly Enlightened
Greetings. I have a 12 gauge Mossberg pump shotgun with the extended tube on it [holds 7 shells], and a pistol grip/butt stock aftermarket accessory.

Looking to sell to someone local and wondered what I should ask for it.

It is used, but in very good shape.

I appreciate the input.

See later posts.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s it worth? Mossberg, 7 shot, 12 gauge,

In central/southern Louisiana, if it is a 500 model it would probably run $175-$195, and if a 590 it might go up to the $250 range depending on condition.

Hobo

Newly Enlightened

Oh yeah. I guess that just might be important. It is a 500a model. Bead front site is all its got.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mossy's are cheap to begin with and don't imagine you'll get more than $150 for it. It's generally advised to not sell guns, you'll regret it later.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Mossy's are cheap to begin with and don't imagine you'll get more than $150 for it. It's generally advised to not sell guns, you'll regret it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

You can check www.gunsamerica.com for prices, also a good place to post an ad.

Also, check www.thehighroad.org and www.glocktalk.com for prices and info... both have b/s/t forums

Hobo

Newly Enlightened

Alright then. I guess ya'll talked me out of selling it. I pulled it out of the safe this morning and decided that I guess it's worth more to me than $150. Now, if I could only find some better sites for it. Ghost or some other type of front and rear sites. Anybody got any ideas as to where I might find a set?

Hobo

Newly Enlightened
Mossberg 500a, full set of sights?

I went ahead and changed the topic of the post rather than starting a new one. Figured it might save a band width or two.

Besides the above mentioned, is there another place where I can pick up a set of front and rear sites for a Mossberg 500a?

I do appreciate your input.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mossberg 500a, full set of sights?

Howdy Hobo and welcome to CPF !

I ran down a few links for you on Ghost Ring Sights for the Mossberg 500/590 shotgun.

Mossberg website's page on these sights:
Mossberg Factory Page on GRS for 500

Here's a place that offers them for sale:
Mossberg GRS for sale

I think $65 is very reasonable, you can spend alot more for GRS but these serve our military very well.

Here is a link to Numrich Gun Parts Corporation's website. You can order off the site or by phone or mail. Their catalogs are a blast to thumb through. They're huge. NGPC is the place to look for hard to find parts.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=257

Glad you decided to keep your 500, it performs yeoman service and nothing is better for home defense, in my opinion.

Britt

Hobo

Newly Enlightened

BC0311, thank you, kindly, for the information. I will use it to it's fullest!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woo Hoo! My favorite subject, guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Good choice keeping your shotty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

You're gonna find out you need a smith to install those sights which ofcourse will add to the cost. If you want tritium the price obviously goes up from there.

Let me put it to you this way, quality sights will cost you more than the gun is worth. Just stick wtih the bead front, many a social work has been done with a bead sight. While ghost rings are the "in" thing and "tactical", they aren't necessary.

IF you just have to have some check out Vang Comp systems and Wilson Scattergun.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

One inexpensive solution that's worked well for me when I rehabbed an old single shot for a truck gun was a "clip on" front sight with a highly visible glo tube. It clips on the barrel at the muzzle with an indentation to fit the original bead sight. It was like $10 from Cabelas. I have a pic of the gun -- I'll post it if I can figure out how.

I agree with no rear sight on a gun of this type.

Edit - I just checked the FAQs and won't be able to post a pic. If anyone feels strongly about it, I'll email to them.

Hobo

Newly Enlightened

Well, I guess I'll not do the full sites, . . at least not just yet. Don't want to spend for the gunsmithing work. I suppose the only good use of the full set is if you're going to use slugs. I like using slugs, which is why I'd like to have a full set later on down the road.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

It might require a lot of luck but Mossberg (and maybe some aftermarket) made different barrels for the 500. Mine has 18.5in w front and rear iron sights. I also have a 28in barrel. The shotgun was packaged with both. You might find one somewhere and if your really lucky you might find someone who dislikes the sights and wants to trade! If you do find that person, I suggest you buy a lot of lotto tickets the same day.

Hobo

Newly Enlightened

LOL, yeah, BIGIRON, . . . I'll be sure to get them lotto tickets if I'm that lucky! :)