Which Cable Size to choose (2200mA)?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished the head for my first mod - Battery is 11V that connects through 1 size 18 cable to three downboys 700 which each is connected to a 5W Luxeon (w or x bin). When turned the light draws about 2200mA.
I noticed now that the cable (size 18) that connects the 3 DB to the battery gets hot fast.

So my question is, can I leave the size 18 cable, or do I need to go with a larger one? Are there any indications how much current a size 18 (and larger cables can do)

Thanks

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the wire is getting hot, you need bigger wire. Is it getting hot on the side away from the DB's? BTW where'd you get x/w bins?!! Also the longer the wire run the bigger wire you'll need. As distance increases the resistance. If it was only a few cm then it woulnd't get hot.. you're only pulling 700ma or so through the 18guage, so I wouldn't imagine it getting hot but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

14C

Enlightened
Maybe you have one 18 Ga. wire to all three DBs? 2.2 Amps through ONE 18 Ga. wire will heat it. In that case I'd change to three individual leads . If you want to stay with one I'd jump up to 16 Ga. and try it.

IsaacHayes is right - the shorter the wire the better - in any case.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, it's 18 Ga solid and one 18 Ga cable feeds the 3 DB.

I got the X bins from Wayne at Electrolumens. I called him up a couple of months ago and asked him what's the best bins he had and he had 3 X's and for a bit extra $ they were mine and produce now about 3x200 lumens in my tri-Fraen lens. All I have to do now is to mount the thing in the case... I'll post some pics once I am there....

Right now the 18 Ga wire that feeds the 3 DB is still about a foot long (haven't mounted the thing yet). In the final setup it's going to be only about an inch, so I think that I should be alright.
Thanks for the chart and info - that was very helpful.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
While warm wires are a concern, as long as the heat rise is in keeping with the insulation temperature ratings you're fine.

A more important issue is voltage drop. Carefully measure the voltage as close to the battery as possible at right at the load (the modules). More than a tenth of a volt or two of loss (drop) and you might want to consider bigger wire. It takes 3 sizes in AWG to double/half the cross section area and therefore the drop/loss.

Doug Owen

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, who knew? 3 X bins!!! people consider themselves lucky to have 1 X bin!!! What head is used for this beast?
This is going to be killer!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Hobo

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure they are X bins, as in X being the first letter on the bin code? What was the "ballpark" price you paid for them? I hear that they are increadibly rare.