Using lithiums in a GPS?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sutro_SoundWerks said:
Is it ok to use AA lithiums in a garmin gps, or will they be too much voltage and fry something?

Thanks, SSW

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably quite safe, lithium AA's are only slightly higher in voltage when new compared to an Alkaline - but why not ask Garmin directly:

Garmin tech support page

george.

jtice

Flashaholic
If you have the etrex models, I think your fine, Look in the setup menu, it lets you select what type of batt.
I dont recall seeing lithium as an option, but I think its ok.

haertig

Newly Enlightened
Lithiums might get a little expensive for a GPS application. I don't think GPS's are known to be very conservative in the battery usage department. I use NiMH. Of course, if you need the shelf life or other attributes of lithium, then you need them.

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
I use lithiums in my etrex, and they work great, last forever. I got over 24 hours use from the last set of batteries.

Harrkev

Enlightened
GPS receivers usually have a switching power supply. The should be able to take an extra 1/4 volt or so. If it were me, I would just use them without thinking about it (except that lithiums are expensive).

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Just the plain yellow Etrex,Mark. Just checked, it is in normal mode.
My Magellan Meridian eats a pair of batteries in 8 to 10 hours, alkaline or lithium, so it only gets alkaline now.

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Garmin in February and asked if it was okay to put lithiums in the eTrex. They said, and I quote from their email, "Lithium batteries will work fine in the unit and as you noted, will provide the longest available battery life and excellent use in cold weather." Not to mention being lighter. But pricier.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I'm using lithiums in my 60C and haven't had a problem. The manual doesn't prohibit their use but it isn't a battery selection option on the unit. I can only choose alkaline or rechargeables but I'm glad to hear that Garmin has given their blessing.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the older Garmins could use lithiums with no problem. The 3+ let you select lithiums in the set up so that the battery meter would be accurate, and my 12 XL will work up to 36 volts, maybe only 24 (I have used it at 24), so I don't think that Garmin would have stepped backwards on that.

lbonser

Newly Enlightened
I just them in mine. They work great, last a long time. Only problem is they drop off fast when they expire. One minute you can check your battery gauge and it says full and two minutes later, you've got a "low battery" message.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
If you have the etrex models, I think your fine, Look in the setup menu, it lets you select what type of batt.
I dont recall seeing lithium as an option, but I think its ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

On my eTrex Legend, going to "Setup", "System", and "Battery", there is a "Lithium" option in the Battery setup menu (as well as "Alkaline", "NiCad", and "NiMH").

One thing I really like about Garmin GPS's is that you can download the current software version for free. Go to their website under "support" and you can see the features you're missing out on if you haven't upgraded recently.

Cheers,

Dave

Commander

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
One thing I really like about Garmin GPS's is that you can download the current software version for free. Go to their website under "support" and you can see the features you're missing out on if you haven't upgraded recently.

Cheers,

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Dave!

Great info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got my Etrex Vista, I tried a couple times to download new versions of the software from the Garmin site. Both times it screwed up the performance of the unit so bad I had to take it back and get a new unit. At one stage, the display would totally jump to a different part of the state and move around randomly in the area. No thanks, I'll leave the original old version of the software on my unit that I know works.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I've updated the firmware on my Vista several times, without any problems whatsoever. Just checked: I can now choose between alkaline, NiCad, NiMh, and Lithium!
Lithiums are too expensive here to use regulary, but they're perfect for backup.