Need input on a computer / task chair

drchow

Newly Enlightened
Looking for input/recommendations on a good computer / task chair with good neck/head support for 8 hour sitting use?

Any ideas? recommendations?

Mikhail

Newly Enlightened
tiktok22, first link doesnt work, second link is working.... $699.99 for that "Freedom" seat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Aeron is over-hyped. We have them where I work and I used one daily for the first couple weeks I worked there, then I got "stuck" with one of the red chairs that didn't look nearly as nice. Wouldn't you know it, the red chairs are more comfortable! They're Leap chairs from Steelcase. I sit in one about 6 hours a day. Spend about 45 seconds getting comfy at the beginning of the day and then there is minimal fidgeting from there.

The Leap chair beats the Aeron out with it's more articulate arm rests, Live Back technology, and it's system of "supported slouching." A random, unscientific sampling of my coworkers shows the Leap chair is preferred about 5:1 over the Aeron.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I've tried both Leap and Aeron, and prefer the Aeron, which I have been using for a couple of years. No matter what you sit in, if it's long enough, you will have to move around and stretch. I sit a lot at work and no longer am as comfortable as I was a year ago.

Someone has turned me on to Bodybilt chairs, and I'm looking into them now, but they are even more expensive, unfortunately.

bodybilt

Best of luck,
daloosh

was_jlh

Enlightened
Another Aeron user here, but I don't think the Aeron will match drchow's request for good head/neck support. My main complaint with the Aeron is that no matter how tight you get the armrest screws, they will creep down and require readjustment routinely.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this chair a few months ago and have been very happy with it.

I have found that the angle of your chair/monitor/mouse/keyboard can make all the difference. I have gotten rid of severe neck and back pain by changing the angle and position of my chair and monitor.

The result was keeping the chair's seat perfectly straight, no leaning back, and raise my monitor so that when I sit up straight my eyes look directly into the middle of the monitor. Any deviation from that will result in pains that take weeks to go away.

Oh and BTW I spent months going to every store I could find and sitting in all the chairs. Most chairs I would pull up to a desk and pretend to be on the computer to get a better idea. It was a long search, but I found a winner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
was is right on the head/neck support. the bodybilt features a contoured neckroll for head/neck support, and it seems to flex with your body much better than the aeron.

daloosh

unnerv

Enlightened
I too am an aeron user. I have one at home and work. We also have the Leap chairs at work and they are plenty comfortable also. If you need a head/neck rest the leap is probably what you are looking for between the two. I prefer the aeron myself because the mesh is non insulating and I hate that hot sticky feeling you get sitting along time, esp in the summer. I like mine so much I bring it to lan games with me, because when your playing video games for 10-18 hours you definately need a comfortable chair.

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The result was keeping the chair's seat perfectly straight, no leaning back, and raise my monitor so

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the main benefits of the Leap chair is that it is designed to let you slouch, that is, a supported slouch. It's actually better to slouch (with support) than to sit straight up--takes all the weight of your back and neck off your back.

I think I came across a little harsh, the Aeron is a great chair too.

You get what you pay for, in a small office environment a Leap or Aeron should easily last 10+ years.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my dad's first exam chair. Think 'barber chair' without the extra stuff. Arnold in his prime could pick this up, but I can barely move it around. This one is very old.

Skyline

Enlightened
I second Saaby's review of the Leap chair. We use them at work, and I've been sitting in mine for about 3.5 years. I love it! So adjustable, so comfortable. Also, the supported slouch is my favorite feature. The best part is you can adjust the tension of the slouching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd love to get a Leap chair for home...but it's $800 for the cloth version.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
daloosh said:
I've tried both Leap and Aeron, and prefer the Aeron, which I have been using for a couple of years. No matter what you sit in, if it's long enough, you will have to move around and stretch. I sit a lot at work and no longer am as comfortable as I was a year ago.

Someone has turned me on to Bodybilt chairs, and I'm looking into them now, but they are even more expensive, unfortunately.

bodybilt

Best of luck,
daloosh

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about getting the Bodybilt. Though, Id like to find a local dealer where I can try it out first.

Do you have any experience with, or more information about them?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I test furniture for a living. Mainly deal with structural testing but I'm also used for ergonomics evaluations.

I'm okay with the Aeron in the largest size but I prefer a KAB Seating chair for the upper back support. Desk height and monitor & keyboard placement are critical. For the current chair I'm sitting on I have my desk 30 mm higher then with my normal chair.

Our Ergonomics Unit has me sitting in loads of different chairs and they computer pressure map me in them because I'm tall and fat - 99% of the UK population are short and weigh less than I do. The Ergonomics Unit can monitor me remotely and see how I sit whilst working. I sat in a proto-type chair the other day with the best back I've ever felt. They are making me a better seat and head rest for it. If you free-float in the chair then the spring tension is important. Most chairs can not be adjusted for larger people.

I've visited Herman Miller in the UK - Very impressive. I don't like their latest chair though. I'm too big for it.

The fabric and foam make a difference when you spend a lot of time in your chair.

No matter how well they do on test I seem to be able to break pretty much every chair I sit on. 750,000 cycles on a fatigue machine and I break it in two weeks!

I'll ask the Ergo Unit to suggest some chairs for you.

Al

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I test furniture for a living. Mainly deal with structural testing but I'm also used for ergonomics evaluations.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding? Then I guess you are the man to talk to.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm okay with the Aeron in the largest size but I prefer a KAB Seating chair for the upper back support. Desk height and monitor & keyboard placement are critical. For the current chair I'm sitting on I have my desk 30 mm higher then with my normal chair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about the Aeron also, but that mesh doesn't look that comfortable to me. Reminds me of lawn furniture. That's why I was thinking about the Bodybilt, with the memory foam. Actually I have a Tempur-Pedic bed that I find very comfortable. I have yet to sit in either the Aeron or Bodybilt though.

I'm average size, 5'11" 190lbs. My current chair is 16" high. My keyboard is 26", and the top of my monitor is 4'. So when I'm sitting, back straight, my eyes are level with the top of my monitor, and my keyboard is about the height of my elbows. I spend all of my time seated (10+ hrs a day), typing and using the mouse.

[ QUOTE ]
Our Ergonomics Unit has me sitting in loads of different chairs and they computer pressure map me in them because I'm tall and fat - 99% of the UK population are short and weigh less than I do. The Ergonomics Unit can monitor me remotely and see how I sit whilst working. I sat in a proto-type chair the other day with the best back I've ever felt. They are making me a better seat and head rest for it. If you free-float in the chair then the spring tension is important. Most chairs can not be adjusted for larger people.

I've visited Herman Miller in the UK - Very impressive. I don't like their latest chair though. I'm too big for it.

The fabric and foam make a difference when you spend a lot of time in your chair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what type of fabric either. Whatever is the most comfortable.

[ QUOTE ]
No matter how well they do on test I seem to be able to break pretty much every chair I sit on. 750,000 cycles on a fatigue machine and I break it in two weeks!

I'll ask the Ergo Unit to suggest some chairs for you.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd appreciate that.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used to have one of those Z-shaped computer "back chairs." It seemed like a good idea at first, but over time it was actually messing up my back, so I had to ditch it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Based on what you've written Nitro, I spoke with an Ergo bod at work. Here is a summary:

Firstly you shouldn't sit for 10 hours straight!
It is incredibly bad for your health. You need at least 5 minutes in every hour away from your desk; walking around or at least standing (anything but sitting).
The key is to be able to change posture whilst sitting so you constantly move and 'feed' your back, if you
are static for long periods of time then your back will suffer. This means not locking your chair and setting it up so you "float" supported in it.

There are several good chairs out there that will allow such movement but obviously we [FIRA] can not recommend any one chair over another because we are independant and test for everybody. Significantly, there are many other factors
involved in selection of a chair.

We would recommend a chair that has the FIRA Ergonomics Excellence Award.
If the user is going to be sitting for long periods, then such a chair will be of great benefit.
Its simply a case of try the chairs and see what's best for you.

Herman Miller - Aeron, Mirra
Steelcase - Please 2
Giroflex - G64
BMA Ergonomics - Axia
RH Form - RH4, Activ
Human Scale - Freedom

FIRA - Setting the Standards. It pays to belong.