best place to purchase nichia white led?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dear fellow flashaholic,
I'm going to buy some white led for diy flashlight. I understand that nichia have the brightest white led out there but they have many different types. What are the type (product no.) that is most suitable for building flashlight and where are some places that I can buy them at a low price? Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Jason

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:

Cheapest place to buy is http://www.whiteleds.net
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah except Paul is going through some
problems right now, so im not sure if hes
selling for a month or so.

--Al

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by holography:
Dear fellow flashaholic,
I'm going to buy some white led for diy flashlight. I understand that nichia have the brightest white led out there but they have many different types. What are the type (product no.) that is most suitable for building flashlight and where are some places that I can buy them at a low price? Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Jason
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were you, I'd try for the "S" rank Nichias-see thread last posted 10/22/01-"S"rank Group Buy Offer." -They're supposed to be the very best ones available.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone here know what are the type of nichia led used in photon keyring flashlight and those used by other reputable led flashlight manufacturer?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by holography:
Anyone here know what are the type of nichia led used in photon keyring flashlight and those used by other reputable led flashlight manufacturer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stingmon (or somebody) said a while back that Photon claimed they use only "R" rank Nichias.
The white Photon II that I wound up with sure seems like it has an "S" rank though...It is just a wee bit smaller in diameter than all of my other 5600 Nichias and the beam looks noticeably whiter- regardless of the condition of the batteries.
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Anyone here know what are the type of nichia led used in photon keyring flashlight and those used by other reputable led flashlight manufacturer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost all good flashlights use NSPW500BS white LEDs, except the new Photon Fusion which has mixed in some NSPW510BS to achieve both wide and narrow beams at once.

As for colored LEDs used in the Photon and others:

IR: Unknown part. 28+ milliwatts, 880nm typical, varying beam angle.
Red: Unknown, probably an Agilent part.
Orange: Unknown, probably Agilent or Toshiba.
Yellow: Unknown, probably a Toshiba part.
Green: Nichia NSPG500BS, 10000mcd+, 15° beam.
Blue-green: Nichia NSPE505BS, 12000mcd+, 15° beam.
Blue-green: Nichia NSPE510BS, 7000mcd+, 30° beam.
Blue: NSPB500BS, 3000mcd+, 15° beam.
Ultraviolet: NSHU590E, 1+ milliwatt, 10° beam.
White: NSPW500BS, 5600mcd+, 20° beam.
White: NSPW510BS, ???mcd, 50° beam.

With all LEDs, wider viewing angles always translate into lower mcd numbers, even with LEDs using identical chips.

Brightness figures are for the LED driven at 20 milliamps. Most flashlights drive them considerably harder. The Photon II for example, using a 5600mcd white LED, can briefly top 22000mcd.