Sky Diving

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to go sky diving this summer but have never had the experience. Anyone every tried? What was it like and what kind of advise do you have?

Ok, I know someone is going to say don't forget the parachute. But seriously I would like to hear form some people who have tried it.

Also I will probably be living in the Phoenix area shortly so if you know of any outfits that you could recommend that would be great.

NoShadow

Enlightened
I have made five jumps.....four static line and one tandem.
There really is no way to describe the experience. But if you really want to find out, give it a try. Don't know of any clubs in the Phoenix area but once you're there, check the yellow pages, find a club and drive out and watch and talk to those who have done it. Won't be long and you'll be buying your first jump. Enjoy.

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about doing this this summer.
Not too sure what to start with. Tandem or static.
Leaning more for the tandem since you get the whole experience, free fall and all, and it's longer.

Positive for static is you get to do it solo.

Any advice?

drchow

Newly Enlightened
As a freefall school graduate, I can say from 25,000 feet..it feels great;)

--800+ & counting!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I only made 2 at Lake Elsinore many years ago. Has to be one of the max adrenline rushes ever! You're standing out there holding a wing strut and the jump master taps you on the shoulder. You look at him and want to say "who- me?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have to say I'd do it again waay before I would bungie jump!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Dad has ONE Jump - C/O the US Army - landed in a gopher hole, and broke his ankle - oops

I was thinking about it as a teen, but had an experience that REALLY turned me off. I was staying at a cousins farm, which was about 1/4 - 1/3 mile from a jump school. Being I wanted to go, when I heard the jump plane, I used to watch. I had the very unfortunate experience of watching someone streamer in - luckily the ground was behind trees, so I did not have to SEE the outcome - made the paper the next day. For some reason, I've never had the desire to jump since then

Screehopper

Enlightened
I went tandem in Queenstown, New Zealand from 15,000' back in Early March. The views were magnificent; the view of the Remarkables Mountain range and the Southern Alps with the peaks covered in snow and the view of the vibrant blue Lake Wakatipu.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you pass out when you jump, does the chute open automatically? I'm serious when I ask this question, that would be my greatest fear.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Back in the early 70's, civie jump school was a couple hours. It consisted of how to deploy the reserve and how to steer and land. Chutes were "double L" you pulled the right hand handle and it turned right. The cord you pulled closed the right hand "slit" on the chute. Same for the left handle. They had a radio receiver and would talk you down from there. Your first 5-6 jumps were static line, eg a lanyard to the plane opened the the "container," and a large diameter spring inside the pilot chute popped out the pilot chute with the spring inside and drug a "sock" off of the main chute which gave a progressive opening of the main and reduced the "shock" of the main deploying. I remember asking a "packer" how long did you have to deploy the reserve if the main was a total "malf." (Beginners only jumped from 2800'!) His reply was "The rest of your life." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:I remember asking a "packer" how long did you have to deploy the reserve if the main was a total "malf." (Beginners only jumped from 2800'!) His reply was "<font color="blue">The rest of your life</font>."

[/ QUOTE ]That response abso-friggin-lutely rocks ! I love it. I hope to jump one of these days, but it seems like a very expensive hobby.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never done it.

My oldest brother is way older than me. We're talking dirt old. But he's got one of those charismatic, dimple cheeked, teethy grins. Too darn good looking for his age. When he enters a room, no matter how large, people want to know who he is and they generally have no problem asking him.

He's been jumping out of perfectly good airplanes for quite some time. Loves it.

I've got some really cool photos, posters and videos of his antics. He never got into the aerobatic stuff too much. He did it though. Still does, but I'm not supposed to tell Mom he sometimes wraps his arms around himself and dives head first at 100 + miles per hour toward the landscape.

Early on he liked the accuracy competitions. Apparently he was and still is good at that. Touch your feet closest to a target in a sandpit and you win. Looks scary to me. Bores him. He really likes the relativity stuff, though. You know, formations of crazy people falling through the sky that relate in proximity to one another, gravity, the earth and sanity. Nutcases they are, I tells ya. They sometimes do this at night with cyalume sticks, headlights, LEDS and/or strobes strapped to them. He's got some stories.

He jumps in events all over the country and is based out of North Carolina.

One thing he does sounds wonderful to me. He likes to do high altitude drop-and-pops. I'm not allowed to say how high but it's higher than you might estimate. He likes to ride the last load up. It's early evening and the sunset has long since passed toward California. It's dark. At many thousands of feet in the sky he will drop out of the plane and free fall for a moment or two then he pops his square (chute). He'll drive it around and face east looking for the moon. Though he's a many miles from the coast, if there is a strong moon out, he can see the Atlantic ocean. The reflection of the moon trails across the water toward him and ends at the coastline. He tells me he then likes to stall the chute by delicately applying the brakes (control cords).

He likes to sit there, a couple of miles up, under his canopy enjoying the quite, the somewhat rarified air, the moonlit world and something else he has yet to been able to describe.

I guess he has been in some groups that broke a few records for number of participants. I can't remember the figures. Here is a pic of a small and fairly casual relative jump. He's about 3:30 to 4:00. Blue suit. Red stripes. Brown helmet.

RickSkyDive.jpg

October 2002 he made his 3,000th jump. He's still jumping. He will be 62 this summer.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebrake

Any way you might be able to post some videos?

Jumping at night sounds just two awesome, What kind of flashlight will your brother use for night jumping?

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
If you are moving to the Phoenix area, for skydiving you're a lucky dog. South of you about an hour or less is Eloy, close to the finest drop zone there is with a worldwide reputation http://www.skydiveaz.com Tandem is defintely the only way to fly these days. Forget all the nonsense you may hear till you visit their website and information. You might also want to visit Dropzone.com and USPA.com Have a blast! The most fun you'll ever have with your pants on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif (myself: 3,060+ jumps, former tandem instructor.)

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
"As a pilot, I can only say that no one in his right mind jumps out of a working airplane."

Since when are skydivers in their right mind? Normal poeple worry me. Besides, there's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. Hmm...do you fly without an emergency bailout rig? BTW, good jump pilots are serious pros and say they have a blast while being paid to rack up a lot of hours at someone else's expense.

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
If you pass out when you jump, does the chute open automatically? I'm serious when I ask this question, that would be my greatest fear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes, whether doing a tandem with your instructor or normal solo. No instructors and very few skydivers jump anymore without a very reliable electronic device that senses your freefall speed and compares it with your altitude. At a vertical decent rate above that under canopy and below a preset altitude the device will automatically open the reserve parachute, also designed to be extremely reliable and like the main, manuverable to avoid obstacles and land softly.

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Dan Ching said:
I was thinking about doing this this summer.
Not too sure what to start with. Tandem or static.
Leaning more for the tandem since you get the whole experience, free fall and all, and it's longer.

Positive for static is you get to do it solo.

Any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few drop zones anymore use staticline jumping, not a skydiving experience, simply "parachute jumping" without the benefit of "hands-on" demo by an instructor. Visit www.uspa.com (myself: 3,060+ jumps, former tandem instructor.)

Clouddancer

Newly Enlightened
BTW, in skydiving single women under 30 get a special discount and other perks. They make up around 30% of active skydivers these days. We would rather you single guys just find something else to do.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clouddancer

Thanks for the info on Sky Dive Arizona; I was just wondering if that's where you were an instructor? Or should I say is that where the mothership is parked? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3060 jumps it must be second hand to you by now.