Mix n Match with your Surefire

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size 15s got me started having fun with mixing n matching various Surefire bodies and parts.

First was building a couple of "G3" lights for my sons to take to the jungle last year. Of course, there is no real "G3" that's just what some of us call 'em.

I started with a couple of black G2s, bought a couple of A19 extenders, replaced the Lexan lensed bezels with Pyrex and UCL lensed bezels, bought a P90 and P91 Lamp assembly for each.

This gave them a choice between the standard 6V P60/P61 and the 9V P90/P91. A very handy additional capability to have when you are living in jungles and mountains with no grid power.

Since Al got me started I've been buying all sorts of Surefire parts and lights and mixing and matching.

Here's a photo of what I call my "M2 Plus" and a rather stock G2.
standard.jpg

The "M2 Plus" has an A19 extender on it (wish these were available in HAIII Natural) to accommodate 3 cells for 9V. It also has the Z58 Clickie Switch installed. The head is a KL3 that has been hotrodded by CPF's Chop. It has a T binned Luxeon III LED nested in a Pelican Reflector and driven at 850ma. But it usually has the stock M2 bezel which will accommodate either P60/61 or P90/91 LAs. I can also screw on my C or Z bezels if I want something less bulky.

The clamp-on Beamshaper is the one for 1.47" bezels, I can't remember what the designation is. It diffuses the spot beam into a nice light for close work or for lighting up a tent or campsite.

I have an A19 for my G2 to convert it to 9V for P90/91, but I had to install a thin stainless steel ring to get it to work with the G2. Both of my sons' A19s required the same thing for theirs to work. It works fine without the ring for the M2, C, P, and Z lights.

The bezel has had the UCL glass lens from Flashlightlens(dot)com installed.

The F26 red flip-up, slip-on filter is a terrific accessory, so is the F24 Beamshaper.

Also, the G2 has the lanyard ring, can't remember which designation it is either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Britt

Size15's

Flashaholic
Britt,

Mixing and matching is fun!

It's important to match the lamps to the batteries when mixing!

The WeaponLights allow a lot of mixing and matching
This photo shows three proto-type parts
two CombatGrip housing bodies
one Lamp Module Housing part for attaching Millennium Bezels to the Housing body without holding a third SF123A.
SureFire%20LU%20types%2064.jpg

This is an old photo - a new photo would show the KL5 & KL6 as well as the U2 Bezel along with the current style parts, and new TailCaps. I'd really like to take photos showing the latest combinations.

Z12 Lanyard Ring for standard bezels (& 9AN TailCaps)
Z26 Lanyard Ring for standard TailCaps

Al

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Al,
I'd really like to see a photo showing the latest combinations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

akula88

Enlightened
Al,
Can you give us the description of the components on the photo? I always thought that you can't exchange M95x and M96x head... Am I wrong?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Oh man, Al, thanks for bringing out the really neat stuff!

I've never seen half of those.

Johnny, I just put a P60 in my G2 (I normally have a P61 in it) and will compare it with Chop's KL3 for throw tonight and get back to you.

Here's a photo from Al that showed me how to build up a "G3T". I call this version a "Bumblebee G3T". Corny, ain't I? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
standard.jpg

Al's photo below shows all kinds of ways to build up a 9V Turbo Head SF. I took the easy path and just bought the M3T. It's still my favorite stock Surefire light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
standard.jpg

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
akula88 said:
Britt,
Nice M2Plus. How do you compare your KL3-PR with a stock P60 as far as long range application?

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny I took 'em both for a walk last night. Next time I'll take a pellet gun along and shoot out some of the dadgum lights they keep putting up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif. They just put up another one in the middle of the only stretch of dark street up on the hill behind my place.

Anyways, here's how I interpreted what my eyeballs saw. Chop's PR KL3's hotspot projected further than the P60. The P60's spill or flood, if you will, is tighter than the PR KL3's. So, the P60 throws its spill further than the PR KL3.

I have someone coming over tonight who can help and I'll try to get some beamshots down at the swamp. I've been wanting to take some beamshots comparing P60/61/90/91, so I'll bring along the PR KL3 while I'm at it.

Britt

Hey, here's a photo Size 15s sent me of some trays of Surefire parts out of one of his boxes of Surefire parts. Al said you can contact him if you want detailed photos of any of these.
Yum yum. How many parts can you identify? I saved it so I could zoom in.
standard.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have a few more SureFire things that aren't shown. Like my EDC SureFires, and some SureFires that aren't photo friendly. Also, chargers and SC's etc are in another box.
These photos weren't really so people could name all the parts. I could take some so people could try if they like... (?)
These aren't really my idea storage solution - especially for the lights. I'm trying to get old of a better carry case.

Al

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes please, more photos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do need some help. I bought an A20 for converting my P,C,G,Z 2x123s to rechargable. I think I need the B65 battery, right? Also the charger. Do I need different LAs?
Would the best way to get what I need be to buy the G2 recharging conversion kit?

Britt

Size15's

Flashaholic
The A14 converts from 6P to 6R
The A20 converts from 9P to 6R

The AN14 converts from G2 to G2R

The B65 NiCad Battery Stick used by the 6R & G2R powers the P60 Lamp (some use the P61 also but the B65 doesn't have the power of two SF123As so the performance isn't that great)

Best to get the KR1 (for the G2) or the KR2 (for the 6P) rechargeable conversion kits.

If you want to convert a 9P (or D3) to rechargeable, still best to get a KR2 and the A20.

Al

akula88

Enlightened
Britt,

Thanks for that test. I think what we can do is try to measure the hotspot from a common distance -- 10 feet?
I'm going to do a circular patterns of 6" distance and point my beam into it, and thus we can measure the size of the hotspot at such a constant distance what do you think?

Al> I sincerly thought that you have your surefires arranged in a display cabinet. It seemed that out of your parts, you can still come up with a few complete lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Display cabinet?!

I have a few SureFires that I consider my "collection" - ones that I want to keep in good condition.
All the rest are used (to varying degrees) and don't stay in one place long enough for a display case to be worth it!
I tend to take a lot of photos for people who email me with questions so I end up with piles of them and parts all over the place.

Al