does the ARC LE get scratched by your keys?

JollyRoger

Enlightened
OK, maybe I'm being too protective of my ARC LE. I know it has the ultra-hard type III anodized finish, but I was wondering just how tough it is? My original ARC is pretty scratched up. How will my ARC LE stand up to rubbing against my keys all day in my pocket?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just about eliminated that problem by covering my ARC AAA LE HA with 1/2" hard rubber tubing used frequently as insulating material in electrical equipment. Moreover, and more importantly, I also covered the LED and reflector with a soft rubber cap also used to cover connectors of expensive electronic equipment. This arrangement covers everything except the lanyard end of the little torch. The single key and blade that "ride" on the same split ring as the ARC AAA do not scratch it at all now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
OK, maybe I'm being too protective of my ARC LE. I know it has the ultra-hard type III anodized finish, but I was wondering just how tough it is? My original ARC is pretty scratched up. How will my ARC LE stand up to rubbing against my keys all day in my pocket?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The type III HA finish is several times harder and thicker than the type II finish used on the black.

It still will scratch, but not very easily.

Peter Gransee

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. A case could be made for the LED and the reflector getting scratched but the LE case has proven to be very resiliant to scratches thus far in my usage.

arab

Enlightened
My AAA LE has been living with my keys for almost a month now. So far, the colour of the finish is fine. I can however see some shiny areas on the barrel, indicating some wear as a result of frequent contact with keys. I can see no scratching of the reflector or the LED itself.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by arab:
...I can see no scratching of the reflector or the LED itself.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reflector and LED are recessed far enough so that they won't ordinarily get scratched. I placed the rubber cap on my ARC AAA to keep the pocket lint out.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is interesting because i built a light
also that has the LED's sticking out a little
from the case. The case is ABS plastic,
but the little led heads stick out about
1/8 inch from the case, unprotected
by anything at all.
What is the chance something will scratch
the LED's, and what are the effects of
small scratches? Anyone have experience
with this?
Or, what would happen if the light was
accidentally dropped on say a sidewalk
while the led's happened to be pointing
directly downward? It seems like
the LED's tops would get mashed in a little
screwing up their ability to project light.
Any experiences with this anyone?

Thanks,
--Al

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by arab:
I can however see some shiny areas on the barrel, indicating some wear as a result of frequent contact with keys. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That shiny area you're seeing just might be metal from the keys themselves.
See if it comes off with a pencil eraser or a little rub-a-dub-dub with a damp rag.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
That shiny area you're seeing just might be metal from the keys themselves.
See if it comes off with a pencil eraser or a little rub-a-dub-dub with a damp rag.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I think the HA is harder than the steel used in keys.

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I believe most inexpensive keys are brass with a thin plate of nickel.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.K. Let me see my LE. Nope, no marks. The tail end where the keyring goes through is showing some reaming. NBD. Test time. Pull out the old Al Mar S.E.R.T auto in 154CM stainless. Scratch with edge. Nothing. Shave lip. Nothing.
shocked.gif
Aggresive shave.
shocked.gif
. Nothing. Hard scratch with point. Small mark.
grin.gif
Check blade. Damn
mad.gif
Time to resharpen. Got a nick in the blade while shaving
confused.gif
End of test. LE's HA really hard. Either way, the LE is my always with me torch.
grin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Or, what would happen if the light was accidentally dropped on say a sidewalk while the led's happened to be pointing directly downward? It seems like the LED's tops would get mashed in a little screwing up their ability to project light. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For your project light: Buy some 5mm clear aquarium tubing at WalMart for 2 bucks. Cut about 1/4 inch off the end and push it over the LED. Trim it so the tubing extends just a little further than the end of the LED.

The tubing will now take the brunt of the impact/scratches. This has saved my Photon LED from several drops onto pavement (butterfingers with my keys...). Light output is not affected.

If the project light LEDs are already scratched, use Brasso (also available at walmart) to polish the scratches out - it won't remove them but it will smooth them. (This works great on palm pilot screens and plastic watch crystals as well.)

The aquarium tubing technique is not necessary with the Arc due to the recessed LED.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
I believe most inexpensive keys are brass with a thin plate of nickel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, your right. All the keys on my keyring clearly show brass under the nickel (which is wearing off). I just assumed the worst case.

Well, hows this: if they where steel, it still wouldn't be a problem for the HA.
smile.gif

Peter

JollyRoger

Enlightened
wow...ok, guys. I didn't know the type III HA was THAT hard! That's pretty cool....
smile.gif

I guess I'll start carrying it on my keychain and see what happens...

Newly Enlightened
Hey ya'll, regarding your ARC LE's "just use 'em and enjoy them" NBG if we all get a few war scars!

I happy to own the nifty little led.

James