PT Yukon HL vs. Matrix 2 questions

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Matrix 2 either or both stepped up and regulated? Based on my experience with a CMG Reactor, Luxeon LEDs don't do so well with 2 AA alkalines unless at least stepped up. Between the Matrix 2 and Yukon HL, which is brighter and has a better beam with the Yukon in Luxeon mode? I am guessing the Matrix 2 is brighter based on PT advertised run times. Lastly both are available at local REI, $39.95 for Matrix 2 and $59.95 for Yukon HL. Are there any killer web deals that can substantially undercut these prices?

I am leaning towards Matrix 2 due to it's simplicity and lower price but I want to get at least a good three or four hours of brighter runtime per set of batteries then my current PT Aurora on fresh cells. Anybody have both?

Thanks for any replies!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I had the Yukon but returned it. It draws around 300mA on both the leds and luxeon (as acknowledged by PT), offering little if any power saving attributes in led mode. Performance is nice, if non-regulated, if that doesn't bother you. It bothered me; to me, one of the major points of dual mode lights is powersaving.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Geepondy,

I decided to go with the Matrix 2. I have been very happy with it. I use it while hiking around the camp site at night.

I believe both lights use the same LED. Brightness should be listed Doug's (Quickbeam) or Craig's (LED Museum) reviews.

Tom

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked at Quickbeam's site and the Yukon HL is quite a bit brighter. I'm guessing the Matrix 2 is direct drive so that one would have to use lithiums to get better brightness.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Geepondy,

I don't think that is true. I believe LED's require 4.5 volts (or close to that) to run. I believe the Matrix 2 uses a step up converter.

I did not realize the difference in light throw was that much. It would appear that the Yukon HL's ability to focus the beam results in a tighter spot that the pre focused Matrix 2.

If you check the overall output numbers you will find the Yukon HL a little bit higher, but not by as much a margin as the throw numbers.

It looks like the extra battery also gives the Yukon HL more runtime.

I stayed away from the 3 AA battery set up because I felt it was a bit heavy on my head. Just a personal preference.

I should also mention that when I got my Matrix 2, I went through several to find one with a white LED. They ranged from blue to green. The salesman at REI was not aware of the differences in color and gladly helped me pick a white one.

Tom

javafool

Enlightened
I am not particularly upset with the 300mA draw on both settings. The 3 led setting provides a wide area of light for close-up activities. The single LED setting gives a decent long throw with very little side spill. I also like the battery pack being at the rear of my head as opposed to sitting on my forehead with the light.

There seem to be pros and cons with all lights. I like the Yukon HL just the way it is.

TerryF

gessner17

Enlightened
Have any of you used the Streamlight Argo? I picked one of these up a while back, like it but it has short battery life, maybe I should have waited???

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Are there any killer web deals that can substantially undercut these prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

41.39 + 6.95 s&h from globalmart.com Mine was back ordered and took a while. I really like the light. At it's tightest focus the luxeon is not much good for walking but de-focuses fairly well. Write Rite helped the beam a lot.