Why do we love lasers?

kakcoo

Newly Enlightened
<font color="green"> What is it with the laser that we love?
The intensity of pure color? The consentrated power of the beam?</font>

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
I think our love for lasers can be traced back to the numerous James Bond and other movies that feature over-exaggerated laser devices.

You see a laser on-screen that can supposedly slice the damsel in distress or a laser that can be used in some evil plot for world domination.

What's the first thing that comes to mind....
I want one of those!!!

Unfortunately, some movies do feature some lasers which are practically impossible to manufacture (regardless of money). However, there are affordable lasers which are possible to obtain, such as red and green diode lasers. In a lame attempt to make it just as powerful as the ones on TV and the big screen, we modify them.

Obviously, a modified green laser can't cut through a slab of 1m thick boron steel. However, it does make good eye candy.

Jeff

Greymage

Enlightened
I don't know about the movie theory, at least for me. I just like the color. I remember going to a Laserium show before I'd seen any 007 movies and just being awed. Even today I just like staring at my red and green lasers, even when they're not moving.

freeze12

Enlightened
#1 Great survival tool for signaling
#2 Someting a lot of people do not have (high power ones)
#3 Just plain COOL!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big factor for me is that "shimmering" effect when shining a laser into a partly transparent material, or the beam in fog, just generally the "cool" factor.

Oh, and the fact that the $1 ones make the best cat toys ever...

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red laser on my Belkin combo pen, stylus, LED light and laser makes a brilliant reflection off of the freeway signs from hundreds of yards away when I'm sitting in LA traffic before sunrise or after sunset. A great time passer.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Relax, Perhaps Frankie Goes to Hollywood can shed some light on the question....

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The tight collimation;
That distinctive speckle pattern that we don't otherwise see in nature;
The sheer brightness and throw;
The hollywood-induced mystique;
The idea that a beam of light can actually cut and burn things;
And because they just look cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
All of the above. I'm a flashaholic, after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cmendoza

Enlightened
Because it's a piece of alien technology!

(Just Kidding!!!!)

I did see a tv show/ documentary of some gov't official stating laser technology was garnished from the Roswell crash. I've also heard that the inventer of the laser (?name/ group) can clearly document its developement that is completely separate from extraterrestrial influence.

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
because they impress the chicks better than red ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Hell yeah!!

I was at a party last night/this morning... don't EVER give a powerful green laser to a person that's drunk.

Jeff

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Being into lasers is part of being a flashaholic. After all, they are the only pocketable lighting instruments with the furthest throw. Red lasers are nice, but green lasers are impressive.