ASP lithium lites?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question...has anyone ever played with the ASP lithium powered flashlights? I've tried tracking one down, but they've been discontinued...

--dan

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with the blue ones. They are fairly bright, maybe a little brighter than the older Photon lights. They're not worth it to me. When the batteries die you have to send it back to ASP for replacement. They are also a little big for the light output. The new Photon light is smaller, about as bright, can be switched on, and you can change the batteries.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh hell, for some reason I read lithium and was thinking the LED lights they make. My mistake.
blush.gif

The lithium lights are the Tac Lights. I've seen a few and read the company liturature. They feel nice with the foam grips, sam material as their batons. I'm not sure about length, but they feel thicker than the Streamlight Stinger, and the reflector is larger than both the 6P and the Scorpion. According to a pamphlet that ASP sent to the police equipment store I used to work at, the Tac Light has been independatly tested and is brighter than the SureFire 6P and Stinger. I'm not sure about that as we didn't carry the ASPs so I could not compare them side by side. The beam from the ASP I looked at is similar to the 6P, no dark spots or rings. It is also supposed to have a more durable light than the 6P or Scorpion, and to have passed several hazardess environment tests (explosive gasses)
It comes with either a back switch like the 6P or a side switch for use when attached to the ASP expandable baton. The light is also shock resistant. I've seen in a police equipment catalog a rechargeable version, and a rechargeable conversion. It seems better than the 6R as it uses the same bulb and has the same light output as the lithium version, just a reduced run time, 40 instead of 60 minutes. The charger can charge the light with the battery in it and an extra battery at the same time.
I think the catalog was either Streichers or Tuxell (Skaggs).

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Unicorn on 10-11-2000 at 12:46 AM</font>