Satellite VS Cable TV and Equipment

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Satellite for a few months and so far so good. The only thing I don't like is that you have to sign a 1-year contract. I love the guide feature, according to the guy at Radio Shack the guide is what sells a lot of people. The quality is better then digital cables unless you have a storm, then it fades out. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't get 100 percent of the signal. I'm in an apartment with a balcony and awning using a tripod for the dish; the apartment complex will not allow the dish to extend out beyond my balcony so I have some of the signal blocked. What are you using to get you TV signal?

I would like to hear from some of you who are using the high-definition signal and what you think so far? What is your set-up and how well do you like the service and equipment? Anyone using a Plasma Display Panel or Liquid Crystal Display? What do you think? I was in a restaurant the other day and they had a HD TV setup and I couldn't believe the quality. The TV was about 5"s thick, which would be great for a small Apt. I have a Sony Trinitron WEGA that just takes up too much space. I was checking out some of the higher end TVs online and you can almost spend as much money on TV electronics as you can on flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, do you know anyone that is using the satellite high speed Internet option and what do they think of the service?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
the apartment complex will not allow the dish to extend out beyond my balcony so I have some of the signal blocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be against the law. I don't know the specifics, but there are laws on the books that guarantee your right to put your dish where you choose as long as it is not a "common/public" area. Perhaps someone with experience in this area will chime in.

I can't give opinions on HDTV etc., I still use a regular 27" TV. I can tell you that if you have DirecTv and are not using one of their DVRs with TiVo, you have no idea what you are missing. Once you try one there is no going back, kinda like after you get a cable modem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think TiVo is the greatest, just like everyone else who has one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Peter

Is the DVRs with TiVo easy to use? Direct has a special running for that now and I was thinking about it.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very easy to use, and once you use it for a little while you will be amazed at what it can do for you. I've never been more satisfied with an electronics purchase in my life. I never watch TV "live" anymore.

My only beef is the recording time. Stock, these units offer up to 35 hours of recording. This sounds like plenty until you start putting on a couple of "Season Passes" or saving PPV movies. Thankfully they are pretty easy to ugrade with a larger hard drive(s). I have two DirecTiVos, one for my shows, and one for the kids faves. They are 225 hours and 80 hours respectively. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mine has the entire run of Seinfeld on it (all shows, all seasons) and still has over 100 hours of recording time left.

Peter

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have Basic+ from DirecTV. No DVR (I still use VCR(s) to watch TV). I generally watch on a 32" RCA, but currently use a 20" because my RCA is on the blink.

My DSL reciever has an SVHS output that when used with the RCA TV DOES improve picture quality noticeably! But it ain't half bad through a normal cable.

I can always tell when heavy rain approaches. My signal starts breaking up. But it's raining here today, and I recorded the Qualifying for the F1 at Imola without a hint of trouble. My signal strength usually is between 85 and 94. My dish might be VERY dirty...

Latest posts