my RB MiniMag Mod "The Eye Killer"

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
my RB MiniMag Mod \"The Eye Killer\"

FIRST I must say, the affect of this light is WAY cooler than my camera can percieve. The light makes stuff glow to the human eye WAY more than the camera can detect. That said, enjoy.

RB1.jpg

RB2.jpg

RB3.jpg

RB4.jpg

RB5.jpg

RB6.jpg

RB7.jpg

RB8.jpg

RB9.jpg

RB10.jpg

RB11.jpg

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: my RB MiniMag Mod

Gosh.... do you have some UV protection goggles? I think I'm going blind here...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Maybe you should make a 2D purple 5 watt RB light..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice work

ditto on nerd, wear some protection google /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yea, its a RB lux III (N4LY) not Lux I, the batteries are a little drained too (not fresh) so its not at its max power...I was afraid it would not work well with the Pill due to it's high Vf, but it seems to work pretty decent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A 2C with a Lux V or even another Lux III and DB 1000 would be very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I can only do so many projects at once heh

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

royal blue is a cooplish color indeed.

paint the inside of the mag head for a cool glowing affect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i've painted the inside of my minimag mods with gp and using a white luxeon, and it works great, but the shorter wavelength of the rb will charge the gp even better!

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used epoxy to form the glow ring on the lip, what shoudl I use to paint the inside of the head with gp? My G/F has fingernail polish? I could paint it with that then sprinkle poweder over it? OR should I just try to use more epoxy?

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I'm totaly addicted to this stuff now. Means alot coming from you guys!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Nice mod and nice name for it, hehe.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

you could use fingernail polish, or i use clear spraypaint.

fingernail polish would probably be a lot less messy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

also, you should paint the base coat white, for a more intense effect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is cool.

Just what is involved in a project like this? I've never modded a light so I havn't a clue. I'm assuming it wasn't just a 'drop in' kit. If it's not too much trouble could you just give a brief run-down of what parts you bought and what you had to do?

Thanks

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

That beam shows the emitter to be perfectly centered.

I've got an EL 5W B VI that's fun. I think your light may be more intense. Frean LP?

Very cool, Justintoxicated.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

yea its a fraen Optic, I'm getting better at centering the LED's on the pill. Im actualy using a Modified Mag reflector to center them now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The trick was also what someone else mentioned, there are 3 threads on the maglite, twisting the head on on the right thread helps, otherwise it is slightly off center even with the lux centered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The mod was pretty simple, I purchased Lambdas I'll pill kit (about 9 of them total lol) and used a lux III RB instead of a Q2K; following his instructions I made the Pill. Added some glow powder mixed ruffly 70-30 with clear 5 minute epoxy around the lip for fun... I think I may add some more powder to the head as suggested with my Gf's Clear Nail polish, or maybe I'll use some clear coat paint (I'm good with paint usualy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) I'm not sure which would be more permanent or if it would even make a difference in which method I decide to use.

Oh yea, and I added a mineral glass lense from the shoppe and an O-ring from kragen for a better seal.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! I can't wait until classes are over and I can get my RB domelight made! I need to do a lot of projects I keep putting off, and there's only 2 weeks left to do them! Kinda bummed out though cause my college is closing and I'm going to have to move or travel a lot and loose a bunch of classes which = money + time and then take new ones in their place which = money+time :angry: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Nice! I can't wait until classes are over and I can get my RB domelight made! I need to do a lot of projects I keep putting off, and there's only 2 weeks left to do them! Kinda bummed out though cause my college is closing and I'm going to have to move or travel a lot and loose a bunch of classes which = money + time and then take new ones in their place which = money+time :angry: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha I hear that! I graduate in May, but I also lose my student job, so I need to find an entry level software engineering job quick! The Job market is not looking so well either...

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
utomatoe said:
Wow, looks amazing. How good is it at finding the counterfeit strips on dollar bills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me some money and I'll let you know!

haha, actualy it does not find them at all, I just checked...My blacklight picks it up though.

utomatoe

Enlightened

Doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There goes my dream of a arc N + RB emitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif