Looking for keychain voice recorder

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a keychain voice recorder that has decent quality sound and is sturdy enough to take being smacked around by my keys, Spyderco, and Arc AAA. There are several small, inexpensive models on ebay, but does anyone have any experience with these or any others that might fit the bill? I'm not looking for tons of recording time or other fancy features, just small, clear and tough (enough).

If someone could put one of these in an Arc AA body...

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one from Radio Shack that has a surprisingly decent sound. The problem is, you can only record one message/note. When you go to record, it erases whatever is already there - you can't add to a message even though there's plenty of time left. For that reason, I don't use it. I got it as a Xmas gift and it's only been played with, so it's like new. It was $25-30 - I'd sell it for $15 shipped.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
which model, Kite? I don't see any keychain models on their website.

kristofg, that's a little larger than I was hoping for.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's model #63-948. It's 1 3/4" x just under 3" and has a red LED light on one end. I got it Xmas before last, but it's been sitting in a bag with some other stuff untouched, pretty much looks like new.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
StevieRay,

Thanks, I ordered one of those last afternoon. I'll post it's quality here when I get it.

Hmm. Kite, I can't seem to find that item number on RS's site; returns item unknown or some such when I pasted the number into the search field.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor update: the recorder I got was defective and non-operable. Technika, the dealer, sent me out a new one that should arrive in a day or so.

Semarin

Newly Enlightened
I've had one of these Cellular style digital recorders on my keychain for a couple years, and it's still going. Nice thing about it, is that it has a flip cover that closes up and covers up the buttons when you're not using it. Pretty nice for the $6.99 price, and I've never seen anyone else with this type.

Semarin

Newly Enlightened
The clarity was good on it, no problems understanding the playbacks. Most of the buttons are just for looks (the #'d ones). It has play, record and reset for the main buttons to operate the unit.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, finally got a working unit. No problems with the vendor, just a long ship time between coasts.

I'm happy with the unit. It's what I wanted, a little memory-in-a-box on my keychain for thoughts, notes, etc. Clarity is fine for this purpose. The body is around the same size and build as a auto alarm remote. The keychain attachment is ok. The keychain that comes with it is trash and I removed it. The mike is actually quite sensitive for such a small, inexpensive device. It works best in a normal speaking tone at a range of 12-18". The bonus is that it has a red led indicator that confirms the unit is recording or playing. All in all, it's unobtrusive on the keychain and would likely be viewed as an auto remote unless under great scrutiny. It takes 2 3V lithium 2025 coin cells. Recommended.