Moving company help.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some help, PLEASE - I am moving across country to Phoenix and am trying to find a good moving company. It seems that every company I look at has horror stories on the net. Any advice or good links on the web for help would be greatly appreciated.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats cause every company has horror stories /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There is no way around that, but some research definitely helps.

We have moved some 5 times in the last 10 years or so. The last 3 times with real moving companies. i've used National for the first 2 and Harrisons Moving for the last one. All without major incident. However, the middle move I failed to get a binding estimate from National and they then proceeded to charge me nearly 2 thousand (2000!) extra dollars since they had under estimated.

If you're hiring a major company to do your move, get a binding, or "not to exceed" estimate. If they are unwilling to do this then ask them why and get a different company. If they don't give you a binding estimate, then you will pay whatever it costs as to the weight. And they ALWAYS underestimate (sometimes by thousands of dollars)

The last couple of times we have also had them pack everything up. If you do this then they guarantee it even more not to be broken and they are good and fast. Pack an entire house in one day and load the truck the next and be off. If you do it yourself it will take 10 times as long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This is VERY much more expensive, but really, if you can save the cash to afford it it is worth every penny.

Really, there is nothing more important than that binding estimate. If their guys that come out to count your stuff can't do their job, why should YOU pay for it? And you WILL pay for it, and it will be a LOT.

Did I emphasize enough to get a binding estimate? I hope so, get a binding estimate.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest using United Van Lines. I'm a little biased, though, because I have been a subcontractor for them for 11 years now. Mayflower Transit is owned by United, so things should be about the same as far as cost. Just make sure your estimator actually takes the time to do a thurough estimate. If it seems that he's in and out in a matter of minutes, that's not a good sign. A binding estimate is a good idea. And make sure you get your estimator's cell phone number, as well as the phone number of his home office.
To make the move as stress free as possible, be prepared before the packers arrive. Make sure you have everything you need to use for the next few days separated so they won't get packed. Nothing makes the packing day go worse than if the customer isn't ready. It takes much longer than it should, and adds stress to everyone's day.
If you are doing the packing yourself, make sure you are all finished with the packing before the movers get there. Make sure all the boxes are taped shut, and are packed as full as practical. And oh yeah, don't pack heavy things in large boxes! Make sure to have a few extra boxes on hand on moving day just incase something was forgotten. (It usually happens).
If the estimator offers the "unpacking service" at the other end, this usually means the unpackers simply empty the boxes onto any flat surface and haul away the boxes and paper. It makes one heck of a large mess that way. If you unpack yourself, I suggest unpacking a couple of your largest boxes first, and use them as paper receptacles for the packing paper. Then break down each box after it's empty. It'll save you lots of space.
Let me know if you need any more advice. Good luck with your move!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, as far as the horror stories go, everyone seems to have them. The biggest one I hear is "Last time, they packed my garbage!" Make sure you are adequately insured, and pick the appropriate level of valuation. (this sets the moving company's level of liability). Make sure you talk to the estimator about this, and get everything in writing. And don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Make sure you feel comfortable with the level of service your estimator is giving you.
I would shy away from small moving companies, and stick with the larger ones that have offices in cities across the country, like United Van Lines, Mayflower Transit, Allied, North American, and Atlas to name a few.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Not to hijack the thread, but at some future time I will be moving out of the "People's Republik." I have a full gun safe and a lot of ammo, and have heard movers will not transport ammunition. ("Inherited" a case of 12ga for that reason once.) Would it be possible to rent a shipping container and load it yourself? That would give you all the time needed at both ends and the ability to pack everything. They lock pretty securely but would insurance be obtainable? My last move was from (literally!) next door and I gave it a month! (Used it too.)

Larry

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
And make sure that it is really a binding estimate. I have not used a moving company for a home move--but the horror stories are legendary regarding Estimates/Contracts. They will swear up and down that they will not charge more than the estimate--then show up at the destination asking for thousands of dollars more to unload the truck--or they will just haul your stuff back to storage (extra fees or sell it off).

Even if you think it is a binding estimate--confirm with a third party who knows. Once they have your goods packed and on the truck--they are ruthless with the over-charges.

And figure on "loosing" 10% of your goods through breakage, loss or whatever. It just seems to happen more often than not.

-Bill