Ever sharpened a knife with sandpaper?

paulr

Flashaholic
I read somewhere that extra fine carborundum sandpaper makes a useable knife sharpener. Anyone actually done that? How well did it work? How fast do you wear out the sandpaper? Thanks.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silicon carbide wet/dry sandpaper works very well for sharpening things. Use wet. You can use anything from 30 to 1200 grit. My father started doing it that way in the '50s. For curved blades like knives it takes some practice to get it right, but gives good results.

Stick the paper to a pane of glass. Put it in a baking dish and fill with water.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Actually any sandpaper works. It just depends on how fine an edge you want. The drawback, sandpaper is not very durable.

Most of the time I use sandpaper as a quick easy fix. When I have more time I get the stones out and sharpen properly.

I do not suggest using sandpaper as your primary all the time sharpening method. As for wearing it out, well it depends on what grade of sandpaper you buy and how tough the backing is on it.

--Jason

K-T

*Moderator*
I did that once or twice, in fact some knive brands do advertise to use sandpaper but before naming any I keep my mouth shut as it might be the wrong firm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It does work but there are more elegant and easy ways to resharpen a knive.

Bill.H

Enlightened
It works quite well for convex ground knives. 600 grit over a mouse pad. Swamp Rat recommends it for their knives. Get it at an auto parts store in the "auto body stuff" section.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used it for "field expediency" glued to a solid surface (paint stirrer). Also works very well that way as a fine file. Suggest only good quality emery paper - not sandpaper unless absolutely necessary.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works just fine, I've used several kinds of paper but tend to use wet/dry paper these days. It's the only way to go for convex edges (over a mouse pad as Bill suggested). It also works well for regular edges. Sometimes when I'm using my Spyderco sharpener, if the hones aren't cutting fast enough, I wrap a coarse piece of sandpaper over it to re-profile quickly.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Yes, and I've also sharpened them with denim and leather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The sharpening method I was taught is a progression to finer and finer abrasion surfaces. The sandpaper has usually been 1000-grit grit or more. Never the brown coarse stuff, always the finer grey/black.

Rebus

Enlightened
I believe there is a book about sharpening
chisels with fine sandpaper glued to glass.
They claim this produces the sharpest possible
edge, they call it Scarry Sharp!

-Rebus

14C

Enlightened
I use the bottoms of ceramic coffee cups...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
I use the bottoms of ceramic coffee cups...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Chinese cooks sharpen their chopping knives on the bottom (unglazed edge) of dinner plates.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my knife was only 2 bucks or so.i figure when it needs to be sharped id throw it away