Which is the best outdoor lighter?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like a good old-fashoined Zippo with a disposable for a backup. That setup has served me well for many years, and I see no reason to change to something different.

-Keith

juancho

Enlightened
I don't know which is the best one of the ones you mention, I been using a Ronson Varaflame Windlite, gas lighter made in Germany for almost 40 years (I got that when I was 18) Last year I retired the Ronson (for sentimental reasons I don't want to risk the lost of my fine companion) and replace it with a Zippo.
What I want really to tell you about is my system for using a lighter to start a campfire, I wrap a heavy short rubber band or two around the ligther, when ready to start the fire I introduce a long stick between the rubber bands, now you can hold the ligther all you want without risk of burning and it is easy to put it right where you want the flame to be.
Juan C.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite, and I've tried many, is the Cricket piezo-electric butane lighter. They always seem to light everytime with only one click. I've even dumped mine in a sinkful of water, blew all the water out, and it lit. I've seen at least two different models, one about 3 inches long and a shorter version about 2 inches long that comes in a pack of two or three with a really bulletproof metal flip-top case to protect the plastic base of the lighter. Walgreens Drug Store seems to stock them around here (LA). I'd stake my life on 'em. They seem to last forever, and no worries about evaporating fuel like the Zippos or running out of flint like the Bics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I've never had the flint in a disposable lighter outlast the fuel. But the sparkers in cheap piezo lighters do stop working after a while.

Bic lighters work if you dry them after getting them wet, but I guess you have to dry them pretty thoroughly, not just blow out the water.

Over at equipped.org they seem to like the Sparklite spark-wheel thingies which apparently generate more sparks than a normal flint would.

Commander

Enlightened
I use the windmill and haven't found anything better yet...

Anodized Aluminum Windmil:
362_6004.jpg

INFO:
windmill.co.jp
essentialgear.com

SHOP:
http://outdoorsuppliesuk.com/windmill/anodized.html

Opinion on windproof lighters:
Forum at equipped.org/

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price I don't think you can beat the disposable Bic lighters. I have several stashed in different places. One placed in waterproof, floating container, and replaced once a year could provide fire, for any situation.
I am a believer that everyone should carry one of these regardless of smoking preference. You just never know when it will come in handy, and the cost/size makes it worth while.

juancho

Enlightened
Try to start a somehaw wet campfire with a BIC and you will change your mind in a jiffy, specially after nursing your burning finger!!
Juan C

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure of the extended durability yet, but I got a lighter at walmart a while back that looks almost exactly like the "delta" windmill lighter. Armored, double latched, fuel window, etc. The element looks pretty thin though. I think it was right around ten bucks with tax. (Cheap, but they still had them locked up in the knife counter.)

bald1

Enlightened
I've had a Vector Gear for sometime now and have found it to be the best lighter I've owned. Wind-proof, lean-burn, plenty of fuel capacity, and high altitude functionality.

gear_2c.jpg

--Bob

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Check out the blazer line. Large fuel capacity nice hot flame and adjustable. Beware of the Calibri line of torches I have not had good luck with the Calibri torches.
DOC

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Docs is warning about the Colibris, and here I was about to ask about the Eddie Bauer-branded Colibris. Target is selling the Bauer name plated Quantum Firebird Electron for 11 and change, I wonder if it's any good. They also sell the rubber armored one, with window and all, for $25.

Anyone have experience with either?

daloosh

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're trying to light wet fuel, I think you're better off using an easy-to-light tinder (quick tabs, fire paste, or something like that) than trying to use a cigarette lighter as a miniature hair dryer to get your fuel going.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're in a situation where you potentially might need a fire, a candle to start wet fuel is just as important as a lighter (and lots easier on the fingers).

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
If you're in a situation where you potentially might need a fire, a candle to start wet fuel is just as important as a lighter (and lots easier on the fingers).

[/ QUOTE ]

and fuel.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
juancho said:
Try to start a somehaw wet campfire with a BIC and you will change your mind in a jiffy, specially after nursing your burning finger!!
Juan C

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I could start a fire in a blinding rain storm with only 2 matches if I had to. If you are trying to start a fire like you described, better bring along a blow torch. Building a fire is in the logistics, not the flame source. If you can't get close to building a fire as I described perhaps some outdoorsman education might be warranted before putting yourself into the outdoors.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Bravo, I'm curious... I'm a newb in starting fires... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What is the best way? Tinder? I'd like to learn.
Thanks much,

K-T

*Moderator*
I'm with B@rt, tell us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif