Failure analysis/proposed solutions, Arc4 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cy

Flashaholic
Failure analysis/proposed solutions, Arc4 switch

The post is not to criticize Arc, but to try and figure out exact failure mode of Arc4 (rev1 & rev2) and why battery length is ending up so critical. I'm assuming, that no way Arc would knowingly send out a product that will give problems, so Arc has not figured a solution to the problems yet and/or we have not seen the fix yet. Ok Ok … I assume too much ha ha ha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flame suit on… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif in the spirit of cpf, I'm only trying to contribute.

The gold disc is the heart of Arc4's power linkage, just as the front micro-switch is the real switch. The gold disc measures .0125 X. 7630in. Only 12.5 thousands thick, but expected to deform .080in on rev2 to make contact with battery. Then add .050 micro-switch travel, this means the gold disc must deform .125in+ to do it's job.

Further it must maintain contact with the battery at all times up to 1.25amp load. The cone spring must deform gold disc .080 to maintain contact. Because spring is at the end of designed travel, marginal contact may result in contact not supporting the full 1.25 amp load at level 1. I wonder if this could be causing some of rev2's to flicker on level one, but not at other levels.

On rev2, the gold disc's travel is 10X it's own thickness, almost to the point of rupture. On rev1 the travel required to make battery contact with gold disc is aprox. .067in+ .035 still a large distance as compared to thickness of structure.

So when rev2's tube ended up being .017 longer. It made a marginal contact situation into a very hard to operate Arc4. The solution of inserting a longer/stronger cone spring to maintain battery contact doesn't solve the base issue of Arc4's battery length tolerance problem.

Proposed solutions:

1. A spacer inserted below gold disc reducing travel necessary for gold disc to make contact. Currently the easiest way to accomplish this is applying a blob of solder to the center of gold disc. You would need to apply just enough solder to raise disc off end of battery tube with your brand of battery in place.
2. A gold spring/spacer be engineered that can be soldered to the center of gold disc. This would get rid of battery length, contact issues and hard to operate switch issues.
3. With the above described spacer/spring in place. A simple rubber disc can be used directly on top of gold disc, instead of the domed cap/spring assembly. This would result in a protected switch with a light tactile feel and way less prone to accidental activation. ((tailcap mod V1.2) )
4. A shorter battery tube, then spacer would not be necessary. Gold spring described above would solve battery length tolerance problems.
5. Extending the plunger length along with a longer cone spring would solve hard switch problem and battery length issues. But would gold disc survive the distortion?

The best solution is probably a combination of the above. I anxiously wait to see which solution Arc uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Thanks,
CY

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CY for working so hard on this. As posted earlier, we have identified the problem and put solutions in action. People who have recently received their Arc4s back from us tell us that the switch is now working much better.

The inconveience and extra cost of the past week or so was caused by us not detecting this problem sooner.

I think the question people want to know is if they now order an Arc4 will it have a good switch, will it work with different batteries, will there be pulsing on level 1 or will we find some new problem. Because we are now aware of these problems, we can avoid them by all the additional tests and precedures we now perform. The proof that these procedures are working is in the testimony of those who have received their light back after the procedure was applied.

A bonus to this is that all this additional time spent with each light also increases the chance we will detect any other possible new problems. I am not saying that there will never be any other problems, I am saying that it is less likely at this point.

Having a lifetime warranty is not enough. Our goal is to deliver a light that does not need a warranty in the first place.

I am sorry for the trials of late, your expenses and your time spent on this issue. I am optomistic that just like with our first couple of runs of the Arc-AAA back in 2001, we will improve the product to the point where it wins awards.

Peter

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Failure analysis/proposed solutions, Arc4 swit

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:

. . . Our goal is to deliver a light that does not need a warranty in the first place. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

simbad

Enlightened

good news Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Thanks CY for working so hard on this. As posted earlier, we have identified the problem and put solutions in action. People who have recently received their Arc4s back from us tell us that the switch is now working much better.

The inconveience and extra cost of the past week or so was caused by us not detecting this problem sooner.

I think the question people want to know is if they now order an Arc4 will it have a good switch, will it work with different batteries, will there be pulsing on level 1 or will we find some new problem. Because we are now aware of these problems, we can avoid them by all the additional tests and precedures we now perform. The proof that these procedures are working is in the testimony of those who have received their light back after the procedure was applied.

A bonus to this is that all this additional time spent with each light also increases the chance we will detect any other possible new problems. I am not saying that there will never be any other problems, I am saying that it is less likely at this point.

Having a lifetime warranty is not enough. Our goal is to deliver a light that does not need a warranty in the first place.

I am sorry for the trials of late, your expenses and your time spent on this issue. I am optomistic that just like with our first couple of runs of the Arc-AAA back in 2001, we will improve the product to the point where it wins awards.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

*Retired*
It would be nice to know the exact solution that was implemented for the switch issue, so that owners could implement the same thing themselves, and they'd not have to bother Peter, saving time and money on both ends...

Commander

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
..we will improve the product to the point where it wins awards.
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

You won my heart peter!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.