MRX vs Electrolumen question

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MrX that lives full time in my car, In fact it has never ever been in the house.

I would like to see a list of Pros and Cons between the MrX and Electrolumens 4 D-cell multi Luxeon lights.

1. MrX is smaller being a 2D-cell light running 6-AA's.
2. Electro is Hard Anno and MrX is standard mag finish.

Ok help complete the list of Pros and Cons on this.

Yes, I am a Pila Dealer but I am a flasholic first. My Pila powered 123 lights are Pila, Surefire, Arc, Tvord, and now LongBow. I still want some lighting alternatives though for things like power failures, no access to recharging, and battery availablility is limited to mom and pop stores in remote areas. I love remote areas. The Pila batteries have almost eliminated my need for Primary Cells but they are still a good fall back option.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me start this off...

MR-X / Elektrolumens Tri-star 4C

[_] [E] Runs on any D size batteries
[X] [_] Runs on any AA sized batteries
[X] [_] Fully regulated for constant brightness (65mins+ on 2300 NiMh)
[_] [E] Longer overall runtime
[X] [_] Shorter body
[_] [E] LED life > 5X longer than LuxV in MR-X
[X] [_] Brightest single point source light
[_] [_] MR-X vs tri-star brightness. Someone compare this *1. Rated 250 lumens vs rated 216 lumens.
[X] [_] Good for task specific applications (always know the brightness is there, unless batts depleated. will still give out light out of regulation)
[_] [E] Good for glovebox uses (there will always be light available, if batteries are not depleated.

Anymore points aside from *1

Kiessling

Flashaholic
with the MR-X you know when your batteries are going to die soon, it has an indicator. a very cool feature.

you can stick lithium L91s in the MR-X to have a 10-year shelve life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (yeah howard, I will never stop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif), and they will not leak.

bernhard

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
MR-X runs on a broader range of power sources:

6AA NiMH rechargeables
6AA lithiums
6AA alkalines
3x123
2xPila 150s Li-ion rechargeables
2D SAFT lithiums (single-use, high current version)

Also, MR-X is focusable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, MR-X allows you to adjust the output current so it will run regulated anywhere between 0A and 3A. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Both lights will give out a similar amount of light (with MR-X pumping out a little more overall), but MR-X will absolutely slaughter EL for throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
Not having a MR-X, I can only speak for my Space Needle II (2c 3-123 Mr Bulk Mag mod) vs EL Tristar.
They are two totally different animals. If a spot or throw is what you like, the mag mod period wins hands down. SNII/MR-X performs like a mag, only 10 times better with pure white/HIDish type light.

EL Tristar is a long throwing flood. More like a cars headlight out to about 150ft or more. As far as lumens goes this is a very subjective topic. Everybodys (Mauf.) lumens aren`t rated the same (SF vs SL vs PT vs UK) I have stated this before in some old EL treads that I own a Light Cannon 100 HID which is rated 450 lumens. My Tristar ran own 4C nimh (not recomended)will out lumen my LC. I`ve tested this several times inside and out. It throws better than my LC and lights up a room brighter and they both have the same color temp. Even on 4C alk. batts. it still wins. My SNII is no match for either in candle mode. Mr Bulks own SNII was rated at over 200 lumens by SL (if I remember correctly)

Eric

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... and do not forget that the 200+ lm of the SNII with an inferior (Charlie, forgive me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) V-bin LS is a lab-testet autput that should be surpassed easily by the MR-X whereas the 200+ lm of the Tri-Star are a calculated number of 3 x LuxIII, and no one really knows what leaves the mouth of the beast.
bernhard

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
You`er right!
EL sell an FT-3C 3w that some have said is around 100 lumens. I would have to agree with that, and it`s a lower bin than whats in the Tristar (I belive)

Eric