Runtime estimate

sflate

Enlightened
I'm gathering components to build a LuxIII into a Dorcy Cool Blue 4AA light. Can anyone help me predict the runtime for various configurations? I'm hoping to get a little over 1A. I'm thinking of using 2 600ma Badboys in parallel. Choices are (1) use 4 NiMh and a high binned LuxIII (2) use 3 NiMh + 1 dummy and a lower binned Lux III (3) use 3 AA Alks. (4) Any combination of the above but direct drive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

sflate

Enlightened
Can the 4AA battery holder that comes with the Dorcy Cool Blue be modified (easily) to run 2 sets of 2AA in parallel? (Mine haven't arrived yet so I can't tell)

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sflate said:
I'm gathering components to build a LuxIII into a Dorcy Cool Blue 4AA light. Can anyone help me predict the runtime for various configurations? I'm hoping to get a little over 1A. I'm thinking of using 2 600ma Badboys in parallel. Choices are (1) use 4 NiMh and a high binned LuxIII (2) use 3 NiMh + 1 dummy and a lower binned Lux III (3) use 3 AA Alks. (4) Any combination of the above but direct drive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
That cool blue dorcy is my 1st led flashlight.
My vote would be to just go with 4 nimh batteries seriesed,
and a simple dropping series resistor with the right resistance to get the desired amperage.
Heatsinking will be a problem with that plastic flashlight case.
A single 600ma circuit for that lux3 would be about right if you want to go the regulated route.
Or easier still just drop in an everled 1 watt luxeon pr bulb in that, or any dorcy 4cell light.

sflate

Enlightened
My mistake - I should have said 'Dorcy Cool Blue Aluminum'. Good info though. I have been considering using a plastic flashlight case but not sure of the heat issue. I've been wondering if the heatsink alone carries away enough heat from the LED. I'm running a Badboy 1A w/ LuxIII in my MiniMag but would like to get just a touch more light out of it. I'm thinking about 2 Badboy's in parallel, I think there is a 611ma combo making it 1.22A total. I only want to do it if I can get a decent runtime though.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast