Stinkin Pop Ups

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an up to date norton internet security installed and google bar on my browser. I haven't seen a popup for as long as I can remember.
Google bar is free and if your turn off the spying thing in it, it works great without any compromise.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run adaware. Spybot seems to do a bit better, I ran that too. I downloaded the Google toolbar so I'll see how that does.

JOshooter

Enlightened
When I saw this thread title I thought of the comercial with the guy making laser noises like he was playing a game. Instead he was trying to close all the pop ups on his PC.

I have AOL and am not getting any pop ups.

metalhed

Enlightened
Do yourself a favor and chuck IE (whatever version you're running). Go to Mozilla.org and download the Firefox web browser. Stops virtually all pop-up windows, it's free, and it's open source software. Much better thatn IE and you get the chance to give a big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif to Bill Gates.

greenLED

Flashaholic
AdAware and Spybot used to do the trick for me. Then I got tired of IE´s crap and switched to Mozilla. Never seen a pop-up after that.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
metalhead, thanks for the reminder about Mozilla, I was going switch months ago but it slipped through the busy cracks. Will installing the Google toolbar have any additional advantage?

Thanks for the help.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
IE used to have a few pop-ups that Panic-Ware and Google tool bar did not stop--but they were relatively few and easy to live with (get a couple every few days).

The Google tool bar is pretty nice--some one-button translations, quick searches and such...

But,--plus I have had zero unwanted pop-ups. I too switched to Mozilla Firefox and I am running fine. The little emotion-con's don't move most of the time, and there are a few sites that Firefox does not work well on--then I use IE... Otherwise, can't really tell the difference in day to day use. Each has its little quirks--but not enough for me to worry.

-Bill

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'll try Mozilla. These popups are opening in IE windows, it's really pissing me off. Something is on my system I can't shake. Spyware scans and Norton is doing nothing.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do I rename links when I add them to my toolbar?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second Mozilla.

Also JunkBuster (free, too).

You may also consider a Mail/Pricacy service like COTSE, which among many, many other things, filters out malicious Javascript when you surf through their own proxies. Very inexpensive.

I use all three.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
IE or Firebird? Typically, to rename links you can right mouse click on the object, then click on properties.

One other comment... Are these really IE pop-ups that you get from browsing web sites--or do you get these pop-ups if you are on the Internet but your browser is closed (or inactive)?

If you are getting pop-ups every few (or tens of) minutes and your browser is inactive (but are logged on the Internet through DSL or dialup)--you may have picked up a piece of Ad-ware that is serving ads directly to your screen.

I found, by installing the free version of Zone Alarm, I could see each program as it accessed the Internet and I quickly found the one that was serving the adds (Spybot, Search and destroy, Norton, Ad-Aware did not find this program).

I went into msconfig--turned off the program from the startup list and then went to the window system directly and deleted the file--and the regular pop-ups every few minutes stopped.

-Bill

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BB said:

If you are getting pop-ups every few (or tens of) minutes and your browser is inactive (but are logged on the Internet through DSL or dialup)--you may have picked up a piece of Ad-ware that is serving ads directly to your screen.

I found, by installing the free version of Zone Alarm, I could see each program as it accessed the Internet and I quickly found the one that was serving the adds (Spybot, Search and destroy, Norton, Ad-Aware did not find this program).

I went into msconfig--turned off the program from the startup list and then went to the window system directly and deleted the file--and the regular pop-ups every few minutes stopped.

-Bill

[/ QUOTE ]I get them when I'm browsing, but not related to any site. I've tried everything and I have Zone alarm. Nothing is working! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmmh... That reminds me...
Are they script msgbox type of pop ups(not ie windows)?
If so, go to run, type, "services.msc" then look for a service called Messenger.
Go into its properties and set it to disabled; oh and stop it if it's running. That should stop those buggers.