MOD Hornet?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I have a Master of Defense Hornet headed my way. I kind of won it on e-bay by accident. Is the Hornet an undesirable MOD knife for some reason? Anybody have one? It's has the BT blade, partial serrated, CM154 steel. I plan on it being an EDC. It's not coming with a box or sheath so perhaps that's the reason it was cheaper but frankly I don't care about either one. If this thing is as good as some claim the MOD's are then it is in for a lot of abuse the next couple of years.

ygbsm

Enlightened
The MOD I have, a Dieter, is nicely made and sturdy -- as long as it's kept away from flea market grinders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Thanks for reminding me. I look at that Microtech blade just about every day and the sinking feeling doesn't go away but it's better. To help with the pain of destroying the looks of the knife I have painted a stripe of glow paint on both sides of the blade about 1/8th of an inch wide. The paint has bubbles in it, ran a little and generally looks horrible. My Microtech is truly an EDC in the most humble of ways.

ygbsm

Enlightened
That Hornet looks pretty nice. The MODs I have seen were very well made.

The only complaints I've read about (have not read much however) is that the grip inserts come loose -- but this was about the Dieter which has skateboard tape type inserts -- and that (again with the CQD) that the blade is not easy to open. The blade issue is true for the Dieter I have, although I have not spent time breaking it in.

Good luck with it.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My Hornet arrived Monday evening. I'm impressed. Shaved a little hair from my arm. Cut some magazine pages and worked the very smooth action. Lockup is very snug. I don't know if I can bring myself to make it a true EDC. It just seems too nice to be abused. I carried it all day but used my Microtech when I needed to cut. I remember not to many months ago thinking the same thing about my Microtech. I may have to scratch the finish on the Hornet so I can actually use it for something.

ygbsm

Enlightened
That reminds me of a story that used to be told when we went hunting. Someone always told the tale of a friend who would take a new rifle (making sure it was unloaded) and drop it into the metal bed in back of his pickup and drive around some. When asked why, he would say he did it with all his new rifles so that he could carry them without worrying about putting the first nick and scratch on them -- might as well get it out of the way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif