help me pick 1 of these 2 AG Russells for EDC

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
A.G. Russell ATS34 Pocket Lockback (carbon handle) or the A.G. Russell City Knife..

these are two budget-friendly knives i've had my eyes on for EDC for the past few days.. a search on the Blade Forums didn't really yield much information.. found a little on the older version of the City Knife but nothing on the Pocket Lockback.

i have no blade preference, no lock preference, or opening preference.. yet.. that's where you come in. haha (sorry for taking advantage)..

both are legal here for EDC carry (Pocket Lockback = 2 and a half inch blade and the City Knife = 3 inch blade).. both are light (Pocket Lockback = 1 ounce and the City Knife = 4.5 ounces)..

right now, i'm leaning toward the Pocket Lockback with carbon fiber handle.. it weighs only an ounce, it's ATS34 blade is hardened to 60-62 Rc.. and i like the drop point blade.. the only thing i'm turned off by is the pinch-open design.. which isn't a big deal.. just something i'm not used to.

then there's the City Knife.. looks a bit sharper in the all steel finish.. skeleton handle (i don't mind cleaning it out).. i also like tanto blades.. Walker-lock.. ATS34.. 59-60 Rc.. and comes with a pocket clip.

so what do you think? this is what i'm spending some of my birthday money on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I like that pocket lockback in CF. The tanto blade thing is just bogus. Tantos were a mid-90's fad if I remember right.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i would sorta prefer the drop point for EDC.. but a tanto definitely isn't a fad.

i'd prefer one for very heavy work over any other blade personally.. i've never seen a blade as strong as the tanto on my MiniCuda.. it's just awesome.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Ryan, if I may be so presumptuous -- of the two knives you are considering -- I would almost guarantee you will like the CF pocket lockback as an EDC knife. It will be a nice, dressy little knife for use and showing off!

I happen to own an 'original' City Knife (the discontinued variety he mentions in his write-up) and to be honest -- I never used it once. I took it out of the box, looked at it, yawned, and put it away. It does have a slight 'cool' factor but that knife ten years later still remains a "Drawer Queen."

IMO, A.G. has many other knives better suited than the "City" for EDC. Carbon Fiber has a snazzy appearance and I'm sure you will be happy with the pocket lockback.

Good Luck and if for some reason you don't like the CF lockback -- my real name is Bolivar Shagnasty (that's one "Shag" and two "Nastys") on Page 6 of the Elephant's Breath, Arkansas phone directory... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fluorescent

Enlightened
I have a few A.G. Russell brand knives that I picked up early in my knife collecting days. Now that I've had the chance to compare them to others, my suggestion would be to look at other brands like Benchmade or Spyderco. I'll admit, I still enjoy looking at their catalog... But I think they are aiming for the newer collector and trying to reel you in with the 'cool' factor. I've been hanging out on some of the knife forums for a while and you really don't hear about their knives mentioned because they are considered inferior comapred to some of the better standards out there. Look for somthing made in the good ole USA. The Benchmade Axis lock is one of the nicest locks available. William Henry makes a fine T10 folder but that might be getting out of the price range...

t10-cf.jpg

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pocket Lockback. ATS-34 is a good blade steel. 1oz.?? You won't even know its there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

TOB9595

Enlightened
Pocket lockback...BUT... I don't edc two hand knives.
You can get the same type with Thumb stud/disc or a spydie hole.
I like the CF ...But it is slipperier (is that a word??) than the grippy G10.
Personally I'd go on ebay or the BST and get a good one hand opener.
Tom

Latest posts