Kershaw Leek blade steel

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a partially serrated Leek and I really like it...tried it out at the store and had to buy it right there and then.

Looking through the net, I'm a little confused on what type of steel is in this knife. Some sites say that it is a 420 blade and a 410 handle while others say that it has a 440A blade.

Did Kershaw change something mid-way in production or are people just misquoting it.

Thanks.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Kershaw lists it as 440A. Some makers do not list steels since they change depending on what is on hand. One major US maker lists theirs as "surgical stainless steel blades" It is listed that way since they use several different types of steel in the same line of knives.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
There may have been more than one steel used if they list 440A now--I could've sworn it was 420J (or some other version of 420). Mine isn't marked, though, so I can't tell just by looking at it.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I also remember seeing a the blade being refered to as some 420 variant. If they did switch steels...I wonder when they did and if there's a way to find out...my blade is stamped "Feb 04" so I guess mine is pretty recent.