Maxpedition M1 & M2 comments?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting either the M1 or M2 for carrying my stuff in, was wondering if there's anyone who has one of these already who would be able to comment on these waistpacks?

I'm looking at putting a flashlight (something like the X5t or similar size), my PDA (m505), keys, small multitool/basic SAK and a very mini 1st aid kit (plasters & bandages, etc), and maybe keys as well if it'll fit... Right now I'm leaning more towards the M1, cos its slightly larger but then again the M2 looks nicer and less bulky...

What I'm interested to know is what and how much you can fit in there, cos measurements compared to actual usage can vary quite a bit. Also, I can't seem to be able to find any pics of either model which shows the belt loop on the back. Is it a standard sewn in loop, or a detachable (button on one end) type?

Thanks in advance guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 barely fits in the M1. I don't have an X5 to compare, but if it's as long as the L4 it probably won't fit in the M2.

Personally, I prefer the design of the M2, but I wish it were the size of the M1.

The belt loop on both models is the same. It's actually two "loops" side-by side. They have a snap closure that is pretty secure. The loops span the entire height of the back of the pack, so they will fit on a big strap if needed, and they have a horizontal loop you can feed them through to make the loop smaller so the pack doesn't slide up and down when attached to smaller belts. Sounds confusing, I will try to take a picture when I get back home (tuesday night). Maybe someone else can post one before then.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tyler,
Thanks for the info. I think I get what you mean on the belt loops from your description. But if you have time for some pics, it'd be very much appreciated indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, yes, I totally agree with you that if the M2 were the size of the M1, that'd be great... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Can't have your cake and eat it, I guess... Did you remove the velcro on the front flap like someone else mentioned in another thread?

Thanks again!

evanlocc

Enlightened
I like the M1 design more and i think the black one look nicer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt_j

Enlightened
I have m1 and m2 in olive and my original plan was to carry eveything in them just to realize that it is not going to work that well. It was just too bulky. Plus I was not able to deal with the zipper to access items that used to be in my pocket or velcro or snap away. Than the entire idea to put all my eggs in one basket was little scary. So how do I utilize the pouches? One is a first aid kit and second holds my camera. Word of warning: if you put PDA in there make sure other items dont crack your screen. My office buddy cracked his IPAQ that way.

Matt

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the warnings and advice, Matt. I don't plan on having all my eggs 'hatch' in the one basket, so this will purely be fore my PDA and toys (read as 'tools') only. Wallet, keys and EDC would still be in my pockets... As for my PDA, I plan on putting it in together with the case, so it should protect the screen well enough, I hope.

While its true that its more troublesome having to unzip the pouch to reach for your stuff, but think of it as security, at least you know that your stuff won't drop out if its zippered up properly. You win some, you lose some...

Thanks for your input Matt, its much appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So, all in all, which one do you prefer? M1 or M2?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, does anyone know if Maxpedition ships internationally? I emailed Tim (Maxpedition) yesterday, but still no reply yet...

matt_j

Enlightened
I like m2 a lot. It perfectly fits the otterbox with room for extra supplies. Front pocket has a Inova 24/7 light.
M2 is smaller. The front flap is easy to reach and open.
As far as the zipper goes. Case is so stiff that even if you don't zipper it up it still holds it shape and content inside.

Honestly those are quality items. Not some cheap stuff from your local Army and Navy catalog. I wish I had those when I was treking in Africa and South America. My biggest complaint was that once you get used to a slim profile on your belt it is very hard to go for somethign bulkier.

I don't know if they ship internationally but I know that tadgear and countycomm would. Latter being cheaper.

Matt

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would imagine that Maxpedition makes quality stuff, and I'm ready to get myself some, but still no reply from them!! Maybe another email is in order? By the way, Countycomm doesn't do international shipping anymore... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Else I'd be broke by now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll send off another email to them and see, will keep you guys updated...

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide between the two either. it would be nice if I could find a local retailer that sells them so I can try them out with all my stuff. I was thinking of PDA, camera, multi-tool, and phone. Maybe a wallet, but it looks like that might be too much, especially for the M2. I have a Pentax Optio S camera, which is about the size of an Altoids tin. I suppose I could order both and return one, although I'm sure I'd want to keep both for different purposes.

matt_j

Enlightened
M2 will take the Optio into front pocket. Pda and tool can go inside... Depending on your phone it all may fit but for example with Motorola i95 it would be very tight to the point that any stress on the pack can crush something. So your answer is probably M1.

Matt

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
I have Maxpedition H-1 and it is very well made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I put either a G2Z, a Z2, or an L4 in the side pocket and
a full-sized PDA in the inside pouch. There is room
for a few other things in the various small pockets.

The two pouches that you mentioned seem to be very small.

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Lux, I was thinking more of small cos it'll be less bulky for me to carry around. Last thing I want is have something too bulky which will no doubt fit everything, but I might end up not bringing it around cos its too cumbersome. I don't intend to stuff everything in there, just some extra stuff that could take the load off my pocket, thats all. Besides, my wallet has been very light since coming to CPF, so that can stay in my pockets, no problems... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Having said that, I think I've decided on the M1, I'd rather go slightly (and I really mean slightly) larger and be safe than sorry... after all, I'm getting it shipped all the way here, so I'd rather not have to send it back or something!!