Have Come to a Conclusion...

Normark

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys...

After hanging around in here for a few days,, looking at all this cool stuff..Conversions and such,,I've come to the conclusion....

you guys are a Bunch Of Frigging Geeks!!!!
smile.gif

And I mean that in a good way..LOL
smile.gif

Pretty cool stuff...

I'm now interested in trying one of these Solitare conversions...

Couple of questions though...

How do you get the bulb seat and lens assembly out ??

Also where do I get these LEDS ??Radio Shack ??

The Solitares are cheap enough that if I bugger it up,,it can easily be replaced...

Thanks in Advance...

Eric..
Geek in Training..
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had some similar questions as far as the Solitaire mod.

1. Where does one get 3mm LED's in general?

2. If I used a red or maybe even infared, would the voltage be low enough to run it with a standard AAA alkaline or lithium battery?

3. For those using the 12V battery, has anyone burned out an LED yet?

4. Kinda technical: I understand that resistors drop current, how does one drop voltage? (Don't have my circuits course until next semester.)

Thanks for all the help.

Stay Sharp,
Joe S.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>you guys are a Bunch Of Frigging Geeks!!!!
smile.gif

And I mean that in a good way..LOL
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats "MR." Frigging Geek!
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm now interested in trying one of these Solitare conversions...

Couple of questions though...

How do you get the bulb seat and lens assembly out ??

Also where do I get these LEDS ??Radio Shack ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my site (click on graphic below) you'll find 2 solitaire conversions - 1 requires you remove the reflector and lens and drill them out - needlenose pliers work good on the lens - grip and twist in circles - try to do it carefully (impossible). Just push the lens carefully out after removing the reflector.

The other uses a 3mm instead of a 5mm led and you don't have to remove the lens or the reflector - much easier.

I only get my LEDs from www.whiteleds.net - but his site is down for a while - and he only has 5mm white (which is all I use). I'll leave it to someone else to tell you the best place to get other LEDs... (Hosfelt, maybe?)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>2. If I used a red or maybe even infared, would the voltage be low enough to run it with a standard AAA alkaline or lithium battery?

3. For those using the 12V battery, has anyone burned out an LED yet?

4. Kinda technical: I understand that resistors drop current, how does one drop voltage? (Don't have my circuits course until next semester.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Answer #2: Probably not
Answer #3: Not yet!
Answer #4: Resistors drop both in my experience (and that's all I have - no formal electronics training
frown.gif
) - See my resistance calculation help page in Tips and Tricks.

Someone else with more knowledge could probably give better information on #4.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe S:

Joe S.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Resistors limit current and drop voltage.

napalm-2002

Enlightened
i converted my solitare.i used a nichia 5600 mcd (standard for us geeks here).i filed the leads of the led down.they put little nubs on there to standoff from the breadboard (thats geek for circuit board).
file em off and make the leads smooth.dont drill anything.just take the reflector out and throw away.you just leave the clear lens at the end.cut down the leds leads to slide where the bulb used to be.dont worry about the led touching or applying pressue to the lens it will be ok.it will apply pressure to turn it off.the led should sit flat on the blak plastic where the pins go in to the lite.

email me and i'll send you a white led and a blue green (cyan) my personal favorite.the least i can do for you makin our sheaths.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Answer #2: Probably not
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quickbeam, your site says that a AAA cell runs at 1.5 V. I have an infared (940 nm) LED that wants 1.3 V DC, and 20 mA. I should be able to runs that just fine, right? And even without a resistor?

Sorry for all the annoying questions.

Stay Sharp,
Joe S,

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Along the same lines, could two AA's in series ( a la Mini-Maglite) give 3 V to power certain red, green, or yellow LED's?

Thanks.

Joe S.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Quickbeam, your site says that a AAA cell runs at 1.5 V. I have an infared (940 nm) LED that wants 1.3 V DC, and 20 mA. I should be able to runs that just fine, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Along the same lines, could two AA's in series ( a la Mini-Maglite) give 3 V to power certain red, green, or yellow LED's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this should work. The red and yellow photon run an LED on 3v.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Thats "MR." Frigging Geek!
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug, you made my day...I needed a laugh...thanks!
smile.gif