Modifying the Clipper....suggestions? (see pics)

JollyRoger

Enlightened
OK, so I got the Nightbuster Clipper from CCrane in hopes of modifying it (to put more led's in it). I turns out I got the 2 led model...and would like to add atleast two more led's. It's harder than I hoped for...since the "reflector" is needed to keep the led board mounted to something...I think I'll have to drill out the reflector. As for the existing board with the two led's on it, do you guys think I can simply put two more led's in place of the resistors? I think they're resistors anyways...please look at the pics. They seem to be wired in series with the led's. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rogerkang/vwp?.dir=/LEDs&.dnm=Pic+1.jpg&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/rogerkang/vwp%3f.dir=/LEDs%26.dnm=Pic%2b2.jpg%26.src=ph

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those on order also. Nice to see what it looks like.

Those definitely are resistors and are needed if you are going to be using alkaline batteries. I see the battery in the picture says rechargeable. If you plan on only using rechargeable batteries in this light you may be able to get away without any resistors since the total voltage is about 3.6V. Each LED/resistor pair will need to be wired in parallel with the batteries.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
But don't you think that even using alkalines w/o any resistors is okay? That's 4.5V to each led, right? These led's are wired in series. Since the two resistors are wired in series, I guess I cannot simply put led's in their place....I might have to fashion a new board...wayne, what do you think?

One thing I don't like about the design is that the connections (the two prongs on top of the battery pack--see pic 2) "scrape" against the bottom of the pcb-led array when you turn the unit on/off.

Well, since I'm going to use nimh or alkaline, I figure anywhere from 3.6V to 4.5V is okay for the led's. I want to add one cyan colored led (you guys say they're so bright) and also one blue or orange led--probably orange. That should make a nice color mix...2 white, 1 cyan, one orange! If there is room, I might try to add one more...but 5 led's on 3AAA's might be too much of a strain? especially 3 nimh AAA's?

Suggestions? Also, where is a good place to order those bright cyan and orange led's?

Thanks!

-Roger

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I'd expect that your LEDs wouldn't last very long using the alkaline batteries. 4.5V is way over what they are rated for.

After seeing your pictures I think I'll just replace the white LEDs with turquoise, and maybe bump up the current by reducing the resistor values.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
OK, so I got the Nightbuster Clipper from CCrane in hopes of modifying it (to put more led's in it). I turns out I got the 2 led model...and would like to add atleast two more led's. It's harder than I hoped for...since the "reflector" is needed to keep the led board mounted to something...I think I'll have to drill out the reflector. As for the existing board with the two led's on it, do you guys think I can simply put two more led's in place of the resistors? I think they're resistors anyways...please look at the pics. They seem to be wired in series with the led's.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I have driven white LED's on 4.5 volts. I have a 4 'AA' flashlight, in which I removed one battery and put in a dummy cell. Then, I put 2 white Nichia's in it. Works fine. I know it is overdriving them. This is what some flashlight makers are doing with Nichia's, to get more light. If you go too far, it starts turning a bluish color. You know you've gone too far if you see the LED do this.

I have a Garrity 2 'AA' flashlight. I removed the 2 'AA' batteries, and put 3 'N' cell batteries, to give 4.5 volts. Then I put one white Nichia in it, and drill out the reflector to fit the LED. This is my favorite flashlight. I also do this mod with the 2 'AA' Mag lite. Works fine.

The life of the LED is really shortened by doing this, but, hey, who cares. So it only lasts 1,000 hours instead of 10,000 or whatever. They still last a long time, and the batteries you save will more than compensate for the premature demise of the LED.

I have to note that once in a while I will burn an LED out, as not all LED's have the same amperage tolerance. Some of the LED's can handle 4.5, and sometimes you'll find one that will just not be able to, and will start to blink and flicker, and go dim.

There is also the matter of the intermal resistance of the batteries you are using. I do not know what it is for the 'AAA' batteries, but it is probably pretty low. You have to consider, or measure, what the amperage is that is going to the LED's. I have driven 20 LED's on 6 volts from 4 'D' cells, and I had no problems whatsoever, and I used this flashlight constantly for walks at night.

I think if you removed the resistors, and put in more LED's it would still work just fine.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
another thing...as it is, with the two leds (resistored down), the clipper is not really that much brighter than my ARC LE!

Go ARC LE!