Arc AAA U.V. Light....anyone else have one?

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Hi,

I just got an Arc AAA U.V. light. It's great! This thing lights up Holograms on Credit Cards (Eagle on Visa, MC on Mastercard, etc), the strip glows on $5,$10,$20,$50 but not the $100 for some reason.

If you stay at Hotels, you can "search" around for urine, blood, feces, semen stains that are invisible to the naked eye.

Ok, besides that I have no clue what to do with this thing.......uhm..anyone else know what I can do with this thing?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flexmodem:
If you stay at Hotels, you can "search" around for urine, blood, feces, semen stains that are invisible to the naked eye.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a couple of exceptions here.
If the fabric glows a blue-white color under UV radiation, it will tend to hide the pee's fainter glow and you usually won't be able to detect it. In this case, a bright white light like an Arc-LS or a LW4000 might find the pee first.

Secondly, if the "criminal" is deficient in vitamin B2, their urine usually won't glow at all, regardless of what fabric they peed in or how long it's been there.

There are some new HIGH POWERED UV LEDs just coming out that might be able to detect the stain in the latter case however. Wilycon makes UV LEDs using Cree's new 395nm dice which are supposedly 12 times more powerful than Nichia's UV LED. I'll be getting one of these to evaluate within the next week, so maybe I'll try the **** test on some flushable scrap cloth and see just what happens.
blush.gif

Oh the life of an LED & flashlight tester.
Never know what I'm gonna get myself into.
shocked.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Thanks for that info. Where do I get the more powerful UV LED? I need to get it.....it's a gadget.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:

Oh the life of an LED & flashlight tester.
Never know what I'm gonna get myself into.
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there anything Stingmon won't do for the sake of science?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
>Thanks for that info. Where do I get the
>more powerful UV LED? I need to get
>it.....it's a gadget.

At this *very moment*, probably nowhere.

But look for "UV LED" on ebay in the next few hours, maybe over the next day, and you just might hit the jackpot.

You should find a keychain flashlight made by Wilycon that looks like a transparent Gamma Ray without the button (or a *very poor* Photon knockoff), but using this new super dee duper Cree UV chip. They've been selling for about $8 apiece, batteries included.

There's also a way to direct-buy from the manufacturer, so let me go dredge up that info as well. (dredging...)

-------------------------------------------
<pre>
High Power Ultra-Violet KeyChain
Description: Please see the description above
Quantity
Direct Sale Price (Unit: pc)
1pc
USD8.00
10pc
Email me
50pc
Email me
100pc
Email me
Shipping & Handling for KeyChains to USA
Quantity
Price in USD
1pc
USD5.00
10pc
USD14.00
Base $5 + Additional Item 1.00 each
50pc
USD29.50
Base $5 + Additional Item 0.50 each
100pc
USD44.60
Base $5 + Additional Item 0.40 each
Total Price
Quantity
Price with shipping & handling
1pc
USD13.00

E-mail Ken for Lights, be sure to tell em I sent you.
</pre>

-------------------------------------------

Shipping is from Hong Kong, so that's about another $5 (or was it $7). Still, you can't find *any* UV flashlight for $13 or $15 ppd anywhere, so it's still a steal.

I didn't get one simply because I spent all my regular money on another UV flashlight, and I didn't want to dig into the camera fund for that.
grin.gif

I'll get one of these new Wilycon lights of course, but it will be next month instead of next week.
smile.gif

pec50

Enlightened
Other uses for UV ... the UV light is effective for locating scorpions. The scorpions fluoresce quite nicely because of a substance in the cuticle. Nice tool for us living in the wilds of the southwest.

papasan

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>from the hands of Stingmon:
But look for "UV LED" on ebay in the next few hours, maybe over the next day, and you just might hit the jackpot.

You should find a keychain flashlight made by Wilycon that looks like a transparent Gamma Ray without the button (or a *very poor* Photon knockoff), but using this new super dee duper Cree UV chip. They've been selling for about $8 apiece, batteries included.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1674648904

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Too bad you can't use these UV led's to sterilize things...like drinking water, etc. The current water sterilizers that use UV lights are SOOO expensive. Wouldn't it be cool if you could stick your UV ARC AAA into a glass of drinking water for a minute and sterilize it?
I wonder if they could ever make UV leds in this wavelength....

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
hey peter - any chance of you getting these Wilycon/cree leds put into the arc aaa's? at 12x the power i feel my arc aaa uv is really dorfed by these units...

papasan

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
There are some new HIGH POWERED UV LEDs just coming out that might be able to detect the stain in the latter case however. Wilycon makes UV LEDs using Cree's new 395nm dice which are supposedly 12 times more powerful than Nichia's UV LED. I'll be getting one of these to evaluate within the next week, so maybe I'll try the **** test on some flushable scrap cloth and see just what happens.
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

let me know when you reach a verdict on how much better these LEDs are...i like the idea of a high-powered UV LED but these photon knock-offs look kinda cheesey...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:
hey peter - any chance of you getting these Wilycon/cree leds put into the arc aaa's? at 12x the power i feel my arc aaa uv is really dorfed by these units...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ordered samples last night... It will be interesting to test them out. They may produce too much visible radiation to be as usefull as the higher frequency Nichia (395nm vs 375nm).

Peter

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
Too bad you can't use these UV led's to sterilize things...like drinking water, etc. The current water sterilizers that use UV lights are SOOO expensive. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UV water purifier at REI:
678466.jpg
What? $200
tongue.gif
is too much for one of these? Still it would be cool if you could use your arc instead.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
let me know when you reach a verdict on how much better these LEDs are...i like the idea of a high-powered UV LED but these photon knock-offs look kinda cheesey...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could always remove the LED and put it in a *real* Photon 1 or 2 case.
Same batteries, same LED case style. As long as the LED leads in the new light aren't too mutilated, it should work fine in a Photon case.

papasan

Enlightened
You could always remove the LED and put it in a *real* Photon 1 or 2 case.
Same batteries, same LED case style. As long as the LED leads in the new light aren't too mutilated, it should work fine in a Photon case.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, asuming that the leads are still there unlike the photon3...

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
[QB]Link doesn't work.... Got another one
smile.gif
?

[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could just go to www.ebay.com and search for the item 1673098232 . This one ends Dec-10-01 17:21:45 PST according to ebay.

I think he left an = out of the link, btw.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, I got my hands on one of these LEDs, and it's quite a thing to see.

When shone on a white surface (a wall, or unbleached white paper) it projects a deep royal purple beam.

Anything brightly colored also fluoresces *brightly*.

As for finding "the invisible enemy" on nonfluorescent, nonreactive cloth, I tried three different sources of UV, and none of them found it.

I tried a fluorescent blacklight, a Photon using a Nichia NSHU550E (370nm) UV LED, and the light I got today using a Cree C395-MB290-E400 (395nm) near-UV LED.

papasan

Enlightened
As for finding "the invisible enemy" on nonfluorescent, nonreactive cloth, I tried three different sources of UV, and none of them found it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe your b vitamin deficient =)...

how well does it bring out UV reflective material (like UV marks in paper money, UV ink, etc.) compared to the photon?...

does it give off visible light?...meaning, if you shine it off into the night or at non-reflective material can you see the beam?...can you on the photon?...