Hawaiian shirt fans?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recent thread on Hawaii reminded me of one of my favorite tropical garments. Any other fans out there? Visiting Hilo Hattie's in Hilo on the Big Island was fun. There are a couple good, but expensive online places, too. Paradise on a Hanger, for one. Anyone know any other good spots?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could remember where I bought mine. I bought five black Hawaiian shirts several years ago, all were high quality, made in Hawaii, and I wear them frequently. I saved the links at the time, but that was a couple of hard drives ago and the links are long gone. I like my Hawaiin shirts black, just like I prefer my flashlights, cars, and dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Keith

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have four that my wife made and a couple, probably, sewn by slaves.

When we were in the hospital, in 1983, waiting for our first child to arrive, I wore my best Hawaiian shirt because it was almost summer, hot, and to show appreciation for our doctor. Our, wonderful, Hawaiian born doctor was on vacation but came to deliver the baby. He showed up with a real Hawaiian shirt that blew mine away.

Darell

Flashaholic
My favorite Hawaiian shirts are made of "cotton lawn" - if anybody finds a good source of those, please let me know! I wear hawaiian shirts to anything where the invitation says "formal."

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Ignoring Brock...

I answered my own question. I have a couple of the Tori shirts, and they are fantastic. This is probably the best price I've seen on them anywhere:

http://www.richarddavid.com/ToriRichard/ToriRichard.html

[/ QUOTE ]
Tori Richards aloha shirts are pretty popular down here--too expensive for me, though. But the prices look pretty good at that link--I think that may be cheaper than a lot of places locally.

Brock--Mililani is the home of the "natural" red dirt shirt (i.e. taking a shirt and dropping it in the dirt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ).

Okay--scratch that--I was looking at the regular shirts, not the Tori Richards. The prices are about comparable to local prices.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do native Hawaiians wear Hawaiian shirts?
Some friends that live there told me some time ago that they never wear them; gave me the impression it was more tourist garb than Hawaiian wear.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
Some friends that live there told me some time ago that they never wear them; gave me the impression it was more tourist garb than Hawaiian wear.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you say "native Hawaiians," are you referring to the local people (i.e. people who live in Hawaii)? It's been awhile since I've thought about this at all, but if I recall correctly there's a difference between Native (upper case) Hawaiian and native (lower case) Hawaiian so I apologize if I'm addressing the wrong one. If you're referring to people who live here (also known either as just "locals" or "kama'aina"), then we wear them all the time. When Darrell talks about them being "formal," that's actually how it is in Hawaii. If you go to a wedding or a funeral, you generally wear an aloha shirt. Suits aren't real common down here.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think about the distinction between upper case and lower case native Hawaiians; just meant people that live there. I suppose it may have been just teenage snobbery or something at the time, since they seemed to turn their nose up at the thought, and not any view of the adult population.
I was wearing my red cotton one, which I liked because it was just so comfortable and cool (in a temperature sense), but was a bit taken aback by their seeming sniffery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
The locals wear them on every Island I've been to, certainly. It is basically the universal uniform for any restaurant you'll go to. And like zenghost pointed out, the more formal the occassion, the more aloha shirts you'll see. Oooh, I LOVE Hawaii for so many reasons... this is but one.

Anywho...the Tori Richards shirts must be cheaper locally where you are, 'cause I've certainly never seen 'em that cheap. Not the cotton lawn ones at least. Normally about $75... and I've seen them as high as $105. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:Anywho...the Tori Richards shirts must be cheaper locally where you are, 'cause I've certainly never seen 'em that cheap. Not the cotton lawn ones at least. Normally about $75... and I've seen them as high as $105. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that I think about it, it may be because I shop a lot on base and they carry Tori Richards stuff at some of the exchanges so I may be looking at lower prices (stuff costs less on base).

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Slightly off topic -- I recently got into BEN SHERMAN shirts from the United Kingdom via a gift from my wife.

I never received some many compliments over my shirts.

I guess I might be becoming a "metrosexual"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can usually get the BEN SHERMAN shirts off EBAY at good prices since most upscale stores that have BEN SHERMAN sell them at list price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Does anyone else wear BEN SHERMAN shirts?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
g 100 bucks for a shirt? i seldem spend over 3 bukcs and prefare 99 cents love goodwill and garage sales. i have litkle or no class lol

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i have litkle or no class lol

[/ QUOTE ]Don't kid yourself. You just have more sense.

If it makes you feel any better, the typical shirts that I wear everyday cost me NOTHING. Zip, zilch. I only pay for the shirts that I wear when I don't want to advertise something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My T-shirts all come from my wife's company. On average we get one new one a month, so I'm good to go.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Sure hate to see ya' go!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

This thread reminded me of an absolute museum for "real" vintage aloha shirts. I was lucky enough to visit this store in Kailua-Kona, Big Island and browse through the racks and displays of the classic pre-1960 DuPont Rayon aloha shirts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DuPont Rayon was the world's first man-made fiber and held a color print like no other. After World War II rayon fell victim to the success of the "true" synthetics, Orlon, Dacron, and nylon. DuPont produced its last rayon textile yarn in 1960.

Alas, this store -- Hula Heaven -- has closed. A small website is here , and you can view (or buy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif) these $500 to $5,000 shirts. Don't miss the vintage replica pattern "Hula Moon" (#982*) -- which I consider the most beautiful shirt print ever created! I saw the original of this shirt in their store...

Yes, I love aloha shirts and love wearing 'em! Maybe I'll even be sportin' one when they finally put me down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ZENGHOST said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:

[/ QUOTE ]
When you say "native Hawaiians," are you referring to the local people (i.e. people who live in Hawaii)? It's been awhile since I've thought about this at all, but if I recall correctly there's a difference between Native (upper case) Hawaiian and native (lower case) Hawaiian so I apologize if I'm addressing the wrong one. If you're referring to people who live here (also known either as just "locals" or "kama'aina"), then we wear them all the time. When Darrell talks about them being "formal," that's actually how it is in Hawaii. If you go to a wedding or a funeral, you generally wear an aloha shirt. Suits aren't real common down here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Zengohst said. I wear them everyday to work.

BTW, if you like the TR shirts, you should check out the Tommy Bahama collection.

Aloha

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i want to viset hawaii some day i can only imagine how pretty it is my real dad and stepmom went there last year and sent lots of post cards it was so pretty.