1000 Pound UV Desert Scorpion Hunter

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
This thing is my Yamaha Electric "Desert Scorpion hunter" Golf Cart with 80 watts of UV lights in the front. It's amazing the stuff you find in the desert.

A washed $20 bill and some nice Motorcycle gloves were my last catch. The thing that stands out the most is dryer lint stuck to tumble weeds. It's everywhere.
uvgolfcart.jpg

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing gives me headaches just looking at the pic on the screen. Might be the contrast or something, but it's seriously giving me headaches.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tech said:
Wow...that's gotta be giving someone a tan....

T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, yeah... tanned scorpions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Arcoholic

Enlightened
Wow i thought it was weird of me to build remote controlled Hot air balloons. But that is the beauty of this place.
Really like your hobby looks like a lot of fun.
David

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
And I thought my 6W PM6 was the cat's meow for scorpion hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
That is a neat use of a couple of T40BLBs. Those tubes put out an impressive amount of UVA light.

I saw some twin-tube 40W UV fixtures at WalMart last October. They were selling them really cheap. I think their price was worth it for the bulbs alone.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Wow! Did that really come with the the "golf cart"? Make it a hand held and I'll buy one for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Wow! Did that really come with the the "golf cart"? Make it a hand held and I'll buy one for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A portable jumpstart battery pack from the automotive department and a 12 volt rv type flourescent fixture with twin 40 watt UV tubes = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

It won't be long before we run out of scorpions or dryer lint to find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:

[/ QUOTE ]

A portable jumpstart battery pack from the automotive department and a 12 volt rv type flourescent fixture with twin 40 watt UV tubes = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

It won't be long before we run out of scorpions or dryer lint to find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The bulbs run about $15 each and I just used a $8 fixture from walmart. The Golf cart is Electric with Six 6v/225Ah batteries with a 12v dc to 110ac inverter. It can run the 80watts of bulbs 80+ hours. Or about 30-35 sand miles with the bulbs on.

blacklight.jpg

The dryer lint is plastered on tumbleweeds that span for endless miles into the desert. I never noticed it in the daytime. The linted tumbleweeds look like Christmas trees under UV. Very cool and disturbing at the same time.

We were also looking for minerals, rocks and crystals. Everytime we found a really cool glowing rock it ended up being a piece of chewing gum. LOL

The Terminator was filmed by our house and we found this freaky metal thing by the filming location. It looks like a piece of that morphing metallic Cop.
metal2.jpg

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tech said:
Wow...that's gotta be giving someone a tan....

T.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and skin cancer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif