Streamlight SL20X / 35 versus Vector 1 million cp

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I've been thinking about buying a SL20X for a long time and going with a SL35 lamp to get more light out of it. I decided that I might not use the light much since I'll primarily will be using a Stinger so I decided to go with something cheaper for a bright light for those occasions when I need it. I bought a Home Depot Husky 1 million candlepower aluminum spotlight, made by Vector. I thought I'd be happy with it but I don't care for it. The beam quality is poor and having to click through light settings each time to get to the brightest one is a pain. It also doesn't have as much throw as I wanted. Also on bright the light only has about a 15 minute runtime I've also got a 2.25 million cp Home Depot light and it gives me all the light I need and a good beam but it too big and awkward for my intended use now. After my bad experience with the vector I'm reconsidering the SL20X / 35. The question I have is how does the throw / beam quality of the SL35X compare to Vector that I bought (Husky 331-623)? I need something I can use one handed while driving if need be so I think some of the larger spotlights are out of the question. Also the opening for the sliding side window on the motorhome I'll be traveling in for a few months is too small for a large spotlight to fit out of it easily. John

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Can anyone give me a comparison between the SL35 and 1 million CP Vector. I know by the numbers the Vector should be considerably brighter but I'm curious to know if that's true in actual use. Does the SL35 give me side spill then the Vector does? John

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Streamlight SL20X / 35 versus Vector 1 million

Husky and Vector are the same???

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Re: Streamlight SL20X / 35 versus Vector 1 million

It appears that Vector makes the Husky lights for Home Depot. The body on the Husky Aluminum light looks identical to the one with the Vector name on it. Also the instructions that came with my Husky 2.25 mil. CP light say to contact Vector for replacement bulbs.
This is the light that I just bought:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0117972648.1085522201@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegadclihkiglfcgelceffdfgidgmn.0&MID=9876

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my take... I own and use my SL-35x just about nightly to run my dogs. I live in the country on 40 acres 2/3rds with standing timber the only ambient light coming from the moon. The Vector will put out more light because of the bulb it uses 55 - 100 watt depending on what model of spotlight you get. With this you sacrfice the runtime which in most cases is just a mere 20 minutes... Takes a lot of juice to light up those bulbs. I am quite happy with my SL-35x. I bought 5 9000mah NiMH Rechargeables giving the Streamlight a runtime of 2.5 hours. The SL-35x will light up a field with plenty of flood and descent throw. For obvioius reasons I don't use this as a car or carry light I use it as a tool. The light is not popular with the folks who collect torches or just use them to shine on the wall because of the heft of the torch.

I hope this helps...

Latest posts