Led Colors, I'm soo confused. ARC, Photon, etc.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Colors, I\'m soo confused. ARC, Photon, etc.

Do comparing Led colors from one light brand give you a good relative comparison to other light brands. I was thinking about getting all of the color's in the Photon line to judge what colors that I want in future light purchases.
At first I was planning on only White LED's except for a couple of reds.
Later I see people saying that turquoise is the brightest. Later I see that it is not the brightest but the red or amber is. Another place I here that red is dimmer. Help, I don't know what is going on. I just want to be able to see things. Ok, here is where I am at now. If I want to see full color, I want white, Check! When I want to preserve my night vision I want red, Check. When I want the maximum ability to see objects and color rendition is not on the top of my list, ???What do I do??? ???does this vary from light to light if we keep everthing else on my part and the light a constant??? I'm so confused.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Led Colors, I\'m soo confused. ARC, Photon, etc.

The Nachia turquois is the brightest 5mm type...the LS red-orange is the brightest led at 55 lumen followed by the LS amber at 36 lumen...you might want to post this question on the led side for more responce.

Bad

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Led Colors, I\'m soo confused. ARC, Photon, etc.

Jon; you said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ok, here is where I am at now. If I want to see full color, I want white, Check!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You are absolutely correct here.

You went on:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When I want to preserve my night vision I want red, Check.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is absolutely false. First of all, to preserve night vision, the light must be so faint that no color is preceptable.

Secondly, under scotopic (no light) conditions, the retina changes its' sensitivity, and is actually more sensitive to blue-green light than it is to red (Purkinge effect). Go HERE for an explanation of this: http://www.corvus.com/kniffen.htm

The retina is most sensitive to light at about 510 nm. under scotopic conditions. This is close to the turquoise color of 500 nm. Thus, all things being equal, the turquoise Photon will appear brighter than all the other colors.

You asked about:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When I want the maximum ability to see objects and color rendition is not on the top of my list, ???What do I do???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The obvious color choice is turquoise, for the reason mentioned above. Further, turquoise does not exhibit as much chromatic aberration as blue (your cornea and lens bend short wavelength light, i.e., towards the blue end of the spectrum) more than other wavelengths. This causes the blue light image to be formed in front of the retina, and causes blurring of images.

Hope this helps, Walt

Latest posts