Cordless Shavers

nightshade

Enlightened
Who makes a good cordless shaver? Been using the disposable Gilette Sensor blades for several years.They do a nice job on my tough beard growth. Are there any cordless units out there that are worth a darn? I tried looking at these 10 or 12 years ago, and nothing cut it-literally.

nightshade

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone,just want to get a general idea of good brand/model. The Sensor's are getting expensive,and sometimes I shave twice a day,depending on work,etc. Usually the disposable blades don't last past two shaves with me.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norelco (at least IMO) is the best you can buy. Personally I'm not a fan of electric and have returned to a blade (Mach III turbo) after every little electric stint I go through.

-Mike

Saaby

Flashaholic
Rotaries work better for some people, for others Foils are the way to go.

I'm a foil person. Braun syncro hands down. I'm far too lazy to shave with a blade, so the Syncro is easily the next best thing for me.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive tryied a few diff types but they all hurt my neck. kinda burns it well it fells like a burn when im done

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Tried the foil, it was ok until the foil tore and cut my skin! I typically use a rotary Norelco, occasionally use a blade. Been a rotary Norelco man for years and years and years!

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Rotaries work better for some people, for others Foils are the way to go.

I'm a foil person. Braun syncro hands down....

[/ QUOTE ]

These are really nice, aren't they? My wife got me a Braun 7526 Syncro System for Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif and I've been happy ever since!

Years ago I too got a scratched-up face from an old Remington with a torn foil that I let go too long without changing the head, and lately the Norelco product rotaries always seem to keep dulling out before their time...

I'm super pleased with the Braun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my fav way to shave but it cost so much is mach 3 man there so good

fluorescent

Enlightened
I've been using Braun shavers for years... Currently have the Syncro.. Braun is the shizzle..

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Braun electrics are great, but the high end models cost as much as a German performance automobile. I've seen some of the self cleaning ones selling in Germany for nearly 200 Euros. I've got a cheapo Braun travel electric shaver I use when deployed when water isn't readily available or I am too lazy to dig out my razor. Even this $10 electric hasn't failed me yet, so Braun gets my vote for electric razors.

RadarGreg

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I also suffer with a thick, fast-growing facial hair. I have gone through many cycles of using electic shavers and switching back to disposable blades. The lesson I've learned is don't buy cheap razors. I tried a cheap Remmington, Panasonic wet/dry, and a another knock-off brand along the way but always went back to blades due to being disappointed. I finally treated myself to a Norelco Quadra-action model about 3 Christmas' ago and I have been using it regularly since. I don't think it's so much the rotary vs linear action that is the difference as much as the fact I finally bought something engineered to work and last. Plan to pay over $100, more money typically equates to better razor.

Tips for use: 1. Make sure to replace cutter heads like the directions tell you to, they don't stay sharp forever. 2. If it uses nickel-cadmium batteries, try to run it dead before plugging it in for recharging (mine can be used while plugged in and charging). The batteries will develop a memory and fail if you recharge every day, I'm still going strong on original batteries. 3. Use some kind of lubricant for your face. Dry talc or shaving powder works, but collects inside the razor. I use Afta pre-shave lotion and get a closer shave and no skin irratation with it. I will shave dry on days when I don't really need a close shave.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Braun Syncro user here. Far and away the best shaver i've owned. I have gone through 2 or 3 fancy rotaries in the last few years and they all chewed up my neck. I guess I've got a foil shaver face. The Braun has never irritated my skin at all, even when I dig for those few stubborn hairs that electrics always leave behind.

The base thing with it's cleaner cartridges really works well. The thing is always clean and lubricated and that keeps the blades sharp a lot longer.

It's not significantly more expensive than any other high end razor (they even have them with 4 cartridges at the SAMMS club here for like $120)

I can't recommend it enough.

nightshade

Enlightened
Thanks again everyone for your time,I knew the good ones weren't gonna be cheap,I'm gonna try the Norelco Quadra series and the Braun Syncro out first. Wally-world near me carries both and I'll take advantage of the return policy if I get burned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Braun syncro and must mention that the last two norelco shavers that I purchased were not capable of providing an adequate shave. I do not have a particularly tough beard or consider it to be unusual in any way. After an adjustment period of two weeks, the norelco was unable to get most of the hair off after spending 20 minutes of continual shaving. I tried different settings and concluded that many people might have different expectations than I but I honestly couldn't see any reason for Norelco to be able to sell so many shavers without them being returned. I actually was left in a state of disbelief on each occasion. After reading so many positive reviews over the years , I felt I must give Norelco another try just in case I missed out on some of their new technologies. When you try the Norelco don't assume that your shave will improve with time as your beard gets used to the anomaly of the Norelco shaving system. I believe they use the break in ruse so that people will forget how long they have used the shaver so it will go past the returnable period. But that's just my opinion and my experience using their shavers. The remington foil and braun shavers give superior shaves.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Been using the Braun Syncro for one year now, and I'll never go back to blades and shaving cream again. You can get one on ebay for <$100. There is no need to get the newer more expensive versions, or the versions with the display on the razor, the simple 7526 does everything the others do without the unnecessary extras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31766&item=4171698352&rd=1

Shaver is self cleaning, self lubricating, and damn near as good as blades and certainly much faster and easier, although you should keep a spare blade nearby for the occasional ingrown hair the shavor misses, which is no biggie at all.

You can also find 6-12 months supplies of cleaner refills on ebay for pretty cheap. Unit itself is made in germany, gotta love that german engineering.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Amazon sells refurb 7126 model Syncros for about $45. That is what I got. The first one I got had a defective charging cord or shaver, so the thing wouldn't charge--but Amazon swapped it out like true champs.

The only disadvantage of getting a refurb one is that it doesn't come with the clean n' charge base, but that can be purchased separately for about $40. I haven't purchased one yet but it's on the horizon.

The Syncro has NiMh batteries so they won't develop a memory, but just to be safe there's a red light that starts to blink when it's time to charge. I usually go about 2 weeks between charges.