Anybody have a "Chawly Changer" coin dispenser?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have a \"Chawly Changer\" coin dispenser?

I read on another forum that these are a handy gadget to have. They keep you from accumulating a mountain of spare change. I am thinking about getting one. They are only about $6 shipped, but I was wondering if anyone had used one and how they liked it.
h19s2.gif

web page

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Anybody have a \"Chawly Changer\" coin dispenser?

I hate carrying change, so I throw my change on a box and take the box to the bank every couple of months to be counted.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I accumulate a coffee can full every once in a while. My bank won't take it unless it is rolled. What a pain. Even with a coin rolling machine, it takes a while to roll and an extra trip into the teller line at the bank. I'm looking for a way to avoid that. Sounds like you have a great bank!

Bucky

Enlightened

I have one and they are great. Holds just enough change to be useful. The customer service is great too. The owner personally responded to me when I sent in an e-mail.

I highly recommend them if you need to carry change with you. They are also great for carrying toll money in your vehicle.

Bucky

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Bucky, I think I am going to try one. It looks like it will easily fit in a pocket and be an easy way to get rid of change. I may have rolled my last stack of pennies.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

That's an interesting concept. I also accumulate change but I only take mine in once or twice a year and I don't have a change machine so I'm generally rolling $200-300 worth of change (they won't take mine unless it's rolled either) and carrying it to the bank.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been rolling about $100 at a time and believe me, a change machine is a necessity. They are not perfect and it is still a hassle, but doing it by hand will drive you crazy. But maybe the changer is a better way. I am definitely going to order one.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope. I do however have a nice lump of it sitting on my desk. Every few months Ill count it and take it to the bank. The poroblem I have is that it gets to heavy if you have more than a few coins on you at a time.

rfdancer

Newly Enlightened

Many markets now have coin counting machines in them. I think you just dump your change in, it counts it and then they charge you 3% of the total. Quick and easy - for $3.00 on $100 worth of coin - it's worth it to not have to roll the coins.

Maple_Syrup

Newly Enlightened

To me, it looks like a solution in search of a problem ... kinda like a tip calculator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Just my opinion though; please don't take offense if you have one and swear by it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bucky

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Maple_Syrup said:
To me, it looks like a solution in search of a problem ... kinda like a tip calculator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Just my opinion though; please don't take offense if you have one and swear by it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with you on the tip calculator, but wanting to organize change in your pocket so it doesn't jingle and/or fall out is a pretty common problem.

Bucky

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

rfdancer,
The grocery store change machines are a neat idea, but in my area (Raleigh, NC, USA) the prevailing fee for that service is 8.9%. Nearly $9 on $100 in change. That is going to add up to real money over time. Heck, I'd go into the coin rolling business for a hefty fee like that. Plus you still have to collect the coins, carry them in to the store and you only get a voucher that must be redeemed or cashed by a chashier. There must be a better way.

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened

I must be living right. My bank refuses to accept coin in rolls. They count it for free, I only have to seperate it.

Leadfoot

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must have it easy. My bank has those coin counting machines in the lobby and its free. No rolling and no fees for me.

Mark

drchow

Newly Enlightened

Obvioiusly we need to get the name of the manufacturer who makes thsoe machines and i'll petition my bank to get them.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I make it a point to never accumulate change, preferring to use it up whenever possible, so I don't have coin sortage problems. Not of my own accord, anyway. Except my parents accumulated buckets of coins, and I was tasked one day to take it to the bank to convert to real money. Went to a bank with a brand new coin counter machine, with a cutesy little cartoon girl interface giving instructions, and had to get the bank rep to empty it out the machine several times before I was done. Neat machine, and supposedly they did it free of charge, but who's to say; I certainly wouldn't know if the thing skimmed off 50% of the take. Never was very good at counting jelly beans...
The Chawly thing looks nifty though, so long as it doesn't add too much weight and bulk, and works as easily as it says.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's another trick I picked up to reduce the rate at which I accumulate coins.

Every morning when I get dressed, I put a single quarter in my pocket. With just one coin, there is no jingling in my pocket. If I make a purchase that totals up to, for example, $5.06, I don't get back nearly as much change as I used to, because I can offer the quarter.

I figured out that having a quarter in my pocket vs. having no coins will reduce my accumulation of coins by 38 percent. That's not perfect, but it does take a chunk out of the problem.

And it also eliminates that sinking feeling you get when a purchase rings up to $5.01 and you realize that for the lack of a single penny, you are going to have to break that $20 bill and get a pound of change back.

This has worked for me for a while, but I have been dropping some hints for a Father's day gift, so after 6/20 I hope to be equipped with the Chawly Changer and giving that a try.

avusblue

Enlightened

Looks neat. I just ordered one. Cheers to them for making the price reasonable enough to try it on a lark, and also for the cheap shipping ($1.05!). I hate feeling "taken" by others who charge expensive shipping on a cheap item.

Looking forward to receiving it.

Dave

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anybody have a \"Chawly Changer\" coin dispenser

I have the opposite problem, I never have enough change...
The train ticket machine which only accepts coins always has by far the shortest queue, the vending machines at school only accept coins, the cashiers in the cateen get stressed if you pay with notes as they run out of change and it seems i always end up with only notes.