Dorcy 1 AAA circuit

Streak

Enlightened
I followed a previous thread about the boost circuit used in the Dorcy 1 cell LED lights.
Does anyone have a picture of the actual boost circuit as opposed to the schematic?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know pictures of the boost circuit did show up in some previous threads, but you'll have to do some digging to find it.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here:

Circuit_cls2_S.jpg
CircuitBck_S.jpg

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi Streak,

Here's one photo of it.

I don't know of any other pics of it here. I would be willing to take some shots of my remaining boards, but none of mine have any components on the boards anymore. I've been cannibalizing them pretty badly.

Let me know if you still want to see them,
pb

EDIT:

UnknownVT posted while I was composing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice shots btw. Also, the only differences in the boards I have seen is that some use a different brand of diode which is marked "SK14". Those boards have slightly different silk screen markings as well, but all other components and the layout are still the same.

EDIT2:

Crap.. Now that I'm looking at the pics, I've got a different boost IC than what is shown in all my dorcys. The IC in my dorcys is an AIC1642 and is marked with "AM50". My post on that is here.

Now I've got to look this one up too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pb

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pbarrette said:
Crap.. Now that I'm looking at the pics, I've got a different boost IC than what is shown in all my dorcys. The IC in my dorcys is an AIC1642 and is marked with "AM50". Now I've got to look this one up too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pb

[/ QUOTE ]
Peter, For what it is worth, I have seen a variety of markings on the IC. The ones I have with the AM50 marking also have 128B5 on the IC. I have also seen CXWG and CXSG. I am wondering if the WG and SG of the later two are date codes.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pbarrette said:
the only differences in the boards I have seen is that some use a different brand of diode which is marked "SK14". Those boards have slightly different silk screen markings as well, but all other components and the layout are still the same.
EDIT2:
Now that I'm looking at the pics, I've got a different boost IC than what is shown in all my dorcys. The IC in my dorcys is an AIC1642 and is marked with "AM50". My post on that is here.
Now I've got to look this one up too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that link.

The circuit shown is from the very first Dorcy 1AAA (blue body) I bought from Wal-Mart (Nov/2003). I haven't disassembled my second Dorcy 1AAA (gold), also Nov/03 from Wal-Mart, but from a new delivery.

I did try another Dorcy 1AAA from Wal-Mart sometime in February this year but the beam was quite noticably bluer than the two I already have. I had just put it down to sample variations in the LEDs - but perhaps they may have used different LEDs as well as changed the circuit board and components?

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi all,

@Doug: You're probably right. The CX designation in the pic corresponds neatly to the (C)ommercial (non-lead free) (X)SOT-89 designations that seem to be in all the AIC boost ICs. Since the UG is underlined and sideways, it's probably a date code. So they are probably all AIC1642's.

@Vincent: Re: bluer. I've had a few now myself and I also see some noticable variation in the color. My guess is that it's a Vf bin variation in the LED. The circuit in your pic is exactly the same as my recently purchased Dorcys (except as noted) and has the same board revision (3) marking.

pb

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pbarrette said:
Hi all,

@Doug: You're probably right. The CX designation in the pic corresponds neatly to the (C)ommercial (non-lead free) (X)SOT-89 designations that seem to be in all the AIC boost ICs. Since the UG is underlined and sideways, it's probably a date code. So they are probably all AIC1642's.

pb

[/ QUOTE ]
Or maybe not. The use of "C" for commercial and "X" for SOT-89 may be the same for multiple manufacturers. The other coding, UG, WG, SG, etc, does not match the marking info on the AIC1642 datasheet. Based on a limited sampling of 4 "AM50" marked versions, they seem to perform differently from the "CX" marked versions. Check my recent post here for more detail: Dorcy data