MR-16 LED bulbs

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: MR-16 LED bulbs

WOW! Id like to know also, they would look great in my rec room. Judging from the photo in the link they appear to be blue in the lamp. My guess is they are in the prototype stage and being test marketed at this point i dunno..

OK.. So i get my alkalines at the dollar store.

Darell

Flashaholic
MR-16 LED bulbs

Yup, I've asked this before, and I'm asking again! Has anybody else come across an MR-16-based LED light? The last time I asked, I was pointed here: MR-16 at LAGO (thanks!). This is exactly what I'm looking for. So what's the problem, you ask? Well, they aren't actually producing them yet, apparently.

So, has anybody else seen something like this around? This will answer so many of my problems that it is mind-boggling.

Thanks!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

why not make your own?
you can use the shell of a spent mr16 to start.a bit of perf board and a sack of nichias will make a pretty good light.
unless you are allergic to the soldering iron
smile.gif
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snakebite:
why not make your own?
you can use the shell of a spent mr16 to start.a bit of perf board and a sack of nichias will make a pretty good light.
unless you are allergic to the soldering iron.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No alergies here. The problem are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>1) It has to look really good since the "bulb" is totally exposed in the lamp, and the lamp is somewhat of a piece of art, and a focus of the room.
2) MR-16's are fed AC
[/list]One idea I had was to use the Versalux board from Techass, but was informed that I'd smoke it with AC. Bummer.

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
Take a look at http://www.theledlight.com/120-VAC-LEDbulbs.html for 120V LED light bulbs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks - yeah I've seen those around. The choices they have seem to be 120VAC or 12VDC. I, of course, need 12VAC. But I also need a reflectorized light, not a diffused one. But good ideas - and going in the right direction (except for cost (!))

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey:
Have you considered using Lexan? I would think the design can be creative with circular tubes or geometric designs, I know full well I could beat the cost at Ledlight for assembling arrays using 30+ LEDs, its just that you have to buy in larger quantities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm counting on you to come up with something great! But again, I need a 20* (or so) focussed light out of the thing - so no diffusion. I need them mounted in an MR-16 base with reflector (though the reflector really won't do anything but hide the back of the board)

LED-FX

Enlightened

As far as I know the guys at Lago have withdrawn the old white led MR16 to bring out a brighter version,more LEDs.

Someone else has one on market at mo`:
http://www.bocaflasher.com/bulbs.htm

According to PDF data sheet it is DC fed,either polarity though?! so guess it has on board rectification, hopefully not using the LEDs themselves to do this.

Almost forgot Ledtronics:
http://www.ledtronics.com

Do a few MR16s that require,er,DC?
http://netdisty.net/ds/mr16-12/

You could always put a bridge rectifier in the base of the lamp beside the transformer.

If you get any further let everyone know...

Adam

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LED-FX:
As far as I know the guys at Lago have withdrawn the old white led MR16 to bring out a brighter version,more LEDs.

Someone else has one on market at boca:
http://www.bocaflasher.com/bulbs.htm

According to PDF data sheet it is DC fed,either polarity though?! so guess it has on board rectification, hopefully not using the LEDs themselves to do this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam - THANKS. Another bookmark saved. I've fired off an email to ask about the AC issue {update - email bounced. I hate it when that happens}. As far as I know, the standard for MR-16 fixtures is AC, so I'd be surprised if they did not account for that.

Where did you learn about LAGO's upgraded light?

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey:
This idea would really be nice for accent lighting for paintings or trac type lighting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I need this stuff for. I want to highlight some pictures, and also use them for ambient (low) lighting. I don't think I'd have to focus any relatively narrow LED source anymore than it already is. I'll be over here holding my breath for your results.

LED-FX

Enlightened

Just after I added the Ledtronics link come back to see your reply.

And add another one to your list:
http://www.ledeffects.com/color_spot.htm

Ledeffects are friendly people,you`ll get Pat or Fuzzy himself if you phone them.
I have an interest in using both some of Lago`s and Ledeffects` gear commercially in the UK.

Adam

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LED-FX:
Do a few MR16s that require,er,DC?
http://netdisty.net/ds/mr16-12/

You could always put a bridge rectifier in the base of the lamp beside the transformer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Now I'm confused. I guess there is no standard. Wouldn't be hard to just rip the guts out of my light and stuff a 12VDC transformer in there. Or I could just power it with my 12V battery array. Hmmm. We're getting VERY close now.

Thanks again!

Darell

Flashaholic

And add another one to your list:
http://www.ledeffects.com/color_spot.htm

Ledeffects are friendly people,you`ll get Pat or Fuzzy himself if you phone them.
I have an interest in using both some of Lago`s and Ledeffects` gear commercially in the UK.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I notice these are back to AC again...

I'm more and more glad that I asked the question again!

Darell

Flashaholic

And one more thing about LEDeffects. They appear to be right in my back yard - probably within 30 miles. Super find!

Darell

Flashaholic

The gooseneck idea is one that I had for my reading lights. I would just need a single Nichia white (or turquoise would work fine) LED poking out of the end of the thing. I read by a single LED all the time.

The market seems so ripe for this kind of stuff - my guess is that it'll explode any moment now....

LED-FX

Enlightened

Darrel,
Let everyone know on how you get on with the white MR-16 hunt,Lago are good people and I have no doubt there product is one of the best, not so sure about the Ledtronics version to be honest as it wants a regulated 12V DC,this would not make it a drop in replacement for a typical MR 16 halogen.

Most inductive, as opposed to electronic, transformers will rise a bit in voltage on a lower load,so what started as nominal 12V may be closer to 14V with an LED lamp cause of the lower current draw.Every MR 16 based system I`ve ever come accross, a few.., supplies AC to the lamp.

It would be simple enought to add a bridge rectifier and smalll smoothing capacitor to an existing transformer,but shouldn`t be neccessary....

Adam

LED-FX

Enlightened

Daniel,
Gooseneck lamps,hmmm, the big name in goosenecks is probably:
http://www.littlite.com/

Who strangely enough don`t have an LED version in their lineup,which given the low heat and bang resitance is quite strange...

All the big lighting companies have a finger in the LED pie:
http://www.led.com/

Is GE lightings LED division.
Luxeon is a Philips/Agilent joint venture.
Osram Sylvania have apile of LED products coming to market, heck even Uniroyal,better known for tyres,have an optoelectronic division.

Guess up in Alaska power saving and battery operable lighting has got to be of interest to a lot of people.

So,hopefully,the future is bright.

Adam

Darell

Flashaholic

I'm finding out from everybody (LAGO excepted since I haven't asked due to the fact that they aren't available yet) that everyone requires regulated 12VDC, unless you special order a unit that will work (less efficiently) in the standard 12VAC fixture. Small regulated power supplies are cheap though, so it won't really be a problem to convert. I'll probably go with LED Effects since they are so near, and they've been the best to respond. They'll custom build any color combination I want, and their stuff looks really nice.