Flashlights save the day -- help finding lost dog

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they actually saved the night, but you get the picture. Anyways to set things up, a friend of mine came over earlier today and we spent 12-13 hours working on his car (timing belt, headgasket, water pump, cams, etc), I ran inside for just a couple of minutes around 10pm to check on something inside the house, and I guess I left the gate open to the fence around our backyard where our dog, a jet-black Newfoundland (think St Bernard but black) stays sometimes. I thought he was inside, but I guess he was lurking in the shadows and decided to take advantage of my carelessness to visit some of the neighborhood dogs. I realized about a half hour later that he was gone. What to do, what to do?

We live out in the country on a busy State Route and have 4-5 neighbors on each side, all of our lots are approximately 100'x 400'. Little road frontage but deep backyards. As soon as I realized our beloved Thor was gone, I grabbed a Tigerlight as I ran out of the house. My wife was about a minute behind me, and she grabbed a Surefire M6 off of my desk on her way out the door. We spent about ten minutes calling for Thor and searching our neighbors yards and the cornfield behind our house. None of our neighbors have security lights outside, so finding our large black dog in the pitch black night was going to be up to us and our lights. I finally spotted Thor with my Tigerlight in a neighbors yard about a hundred yards away. My wife searching in another part of our property spotted him soon after with the M6. I ran three doors down and thankfully he came when I called and we all walked back home, reunited once again.

My wife is now quite thankful that I am a flashaholic. Two or three years ago the brightest thing I would have had to use in a search like this would have been a 4D Maglite with stock bulb, and it would have been quite inadequate. We would've had to wait for daylight, and by that time he might have been long gone or hit on the road by a semi.

Just though I'd share how we spent part of our evening....

-Keith

CQB

Enlightened
Whew! Glad you guys found Thor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I dont know what my wife or I would do if we lost our "baby" either. Our pitbull is black as well and would be quite the challenge trying to locate in the dark. Just wanted to extend my relief from one dog owner to another.

CQB

ps. Tigerlight AND SF M6. Niiiice!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have a Thor the spotlight, in case Thor the dog ever gets lost again. I agree, I had a similar experience where I only had a 6D mag (and even with a 5 cell bulb) and it's incredible how inadequate those lights are when you really need good light and there is no other light around.

tankahn

Newly Enlightened
Having a black dog. Thats good excuse for 'exercising' our beloved flashlights.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlights save the day -- help finding lost

[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
How big is you Newfie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thor is actually pretty small for a Newfie. His father was around 160 lbs and his mother 140 lbs, but he's only 100 lbs. Most male Newfies are around 150-160 lbs. He's a great dog, he's big, but very gentle and great with kids.

-Keith

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlights save the day -- help finding lost

I'd love to have one. I got lucky, though, when my wife and daughter came home with a 100lb yellow lab/GS mix. He retrieves endlessly and is very gentle and kind to all other life forms.