Time for a new torch

Clare

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everybody
I have to buy a new torch. Somebody nicked my old one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I did have a Night Searcher Panther which had a docking station mounted under my driving seat until some git nicked it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
I am a Coach Driver and I travel all over the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I need a torch handy at all times.
Is this the best there is for me money? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

It must be easy to use, lightweight, powerful and most of all rechargeable.

What do you chaps think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Eh, clare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif ("éclaire" in french /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Pocket size or not ?
LED or Incandescent ?
Cheap or not ?

Surefire 9AN or 10X, Streamlight Strion ??? Pila's GLxx's ?

Try a search on these and return with your questions, because the world of flashlight is very very big. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
If you give us slightly more information about what you are looking for and what light you are trying to replace we might be able to help you with your search. Otherwise there will be tons of people with tons of lights that might fit your search. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As Frenchy said the 9AN or 10X could be interesting eventhough the 10X might be better suited for you (only a wild guess) as the light doesn't have to be taken apart for charging. The 9AN uses the B90 rechargeable battery which has to be charged outside the flashlight body.

maverick

Enlightened
Argh!! I typed a really good reply and pressed the wrong button and lost it all!! Well anyway, to summarize what I had to say, it was similar to FrenchyLed. 10X or M3 with Pilas. 10X has really good runtime at 60lumens too and comes with an auto-charger!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello-

You never mentioned a price range. We can recommned to you several lights for affordable to very very expensive. "Surefire" brand being on the expensive end.

I would do an internet search for "Streamlight" brand of flashlights. Streamlight makes good solid flashlights of low to moderate cost. They have the widest variety of differnet types lights of any manufacturer.

If you are looking for a rechargeable light I would look at the newly released Streamlight Strion which uses a lithium rechargeable battery and is small and bright or the old reliable and very popular Streamlight Singer series.

GregR

EDIT: I just did a search on your now missing light, that is some light! Not cheap by any measure. Having now seen your light and it's specifications I think that you should consider the more handy Surefire 10X. That would be the only light I would say that is roughly equal in light but smaller and hander in size. However you would pay alot more for the 10X. While Streamlight make a model named "Litebox" and appears to be equal to your now missing light I'm not sure it would be better.

We need Al in here, he is probibly familiar with your light and can give information based on hands-on experience.

K-T

*Moderator*
If this is the light he is refering to, it could indeed be compared to Streamlights Litebox from its look.

K-T

*Moderator*
Only a different price range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif 79GBPounds vs. 1700US$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey, I didn't know Brightguy sells these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Yeah, and BrightGuy is really a bright Guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

My dream is to be able to buy this wonderful Maxa beam one day , but I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif for few years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
To be honest there are other lights I would wish I could buy, the Maxabeam is impressive but somehow I won't go nuts on one - maybe I need to see one for real. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As for a good quality, bright incandescent that's rechargeable, I only have one, so my suggestion might seem a bit biased. Having said that, the TigerLight FBOP for about a hundred bucks gets my recommendation.
My page about it is right here if you or anybody else is interested.
It can be charged from 110-130 volts AC from a standard US household receptacle or 12 volts DC from the cigerette lighter receptacle in your vehicle.

K-T

*Moderator*
The Tigerlight is a good suggestion, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif
It all depends on what she wants exactly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Clare

Newly Enlightened
Well Done. I am a she /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif yep a Lady coach Driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Ok back to torches. I have been looking about and seen some nasty rubbish.
Took a look on ebay and saw something called a Starlight.
Looks similar to what i had but not at that price. Dont really want cheep jap rubbish.
same with the Maxabeam. errrrr how much?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Yeaa get your wallet out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Im a coach driver not a millionaire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
A Rechargeable Mag Light seems to take my fancy so far.
have to wait till the end of the month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif PAYDAY.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Clare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif and Welcome, if I haven't said it already.

The Magcharger seems to be a fairly popular one, even if it is a Mag (most around here don't like them very much), but check out Tigerlight as well. They have a fairly good following here.

K-T

*Moderator*
[ QUOTE ]
bindibadgi said:
Clare sounds like a she to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ever say anything different? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

I would take a look at the Tigerlight - do a search on CPF about the Tigerlight and you'll see that it is a highquality light.

K-T

*Moderator*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clare,

MagChargers are a great choice, as is Tigerlight.

I prefer the Mag for its longer run time with super performance bulbs, like the Welch Allyn 1160, but the Tiger is smaller and possibly easier to handle for some. I'm 6'3" so the Mag isn't much of a problem, but some find it bulky.

There are lots of options as far as modding the MagCharger and Tigerlight, and js is running a mod sale on the Tiger right now.

Good Luck!!!

Bill