• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak LED Solutions Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasA

Enlightened
Good Morning Everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif,

We have had many questions in regards to additional information on each of the LED Flashlights. As previously mentioned we have been working on a simple chart for this information.

Peak LED Solutions Chart Information

This chart will provide most information and will be modified and updated as information is need to be added. If you have any suggestions please let us know.

Updates:

N mini series ( Shasta Collection ): These items are starting to be released at this time and has been added to our site. Some basic information; 1.5v N cell comes in both mini pocket version ( no key ring / flat back end ) and mini keychain version.

Custom Design Center request on AAA Bodies: These items at this time can be purchased from our Custom Design Center; we will be adding these items as standard stock at a later date.

Questions on the additional accessories that will be released: At this time we are in the process of adding more. Thank you, for all the suggestions on different items to add /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

Questions in relation to the Alpine Collection: This unit comes with 2 x 1.5v N cell batteries creating a 3v system. Note:*** A 3v N cell Head will operate differently on a 1.5v N cell body*** This information will also be updated on the site to reflect the difference.

This post has been restarted to help answer question, we will post her any additional information and answers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Thank you,

MJ

spica

Newly Enlightened
You may haved meant this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
peak chart

edit: nevermind the original link works now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
-spica

DallasA

Enlightened
Questions in relation to the Pikes Peak Double Headed N Cell:

The Pikes Peak is designed double ended. This means on one end you have one head and on the other there is another.

Let me use one for example in this. Pikes Peak 1.5v N cell 1 LED Double Head White.

This unit has 1 White LED on both end and can be run at the same time, or one at a time. You can also have it with a UV on one end and White on the other end.

You can mix and match the colors as shown, as an option. Later if you choose to you can switch one of the heads to run as 3 LED ( any color ). You can also use one of the end to carry an extra battery.

Question in relation to attaching any two units together: This accessory is going to be added to the list soon. At this time the attachment can be purchased through the Custom Design Center.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regards to a multiple LED light, I used to hear about a "principle" whereby each LED's output could not simply be added to give the total output figure. For example, if each LED alone put out 10cd, a 3 LED light would actually put out less than 30, maybe more like 18 or so. Did your tests show this to be true?

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carl, no , that is not true. If 3 LEDs have the same direction you just may add the candela.
The perceived brightness may be different. That means twice the candela may not look twice as bright to your eye.

Al

Enlightened
Any news? .. Noticed your release dates have been upgraded to June 25 ...

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Al said:
Any news? .. Noticed your release dates have been upgraded to June 25 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Al

I am working on putting everything up at this time. I am also reworking the website as I go as well.

Some news I was not planning on letting out until I was done, but I will go a head and release it now. We are adding Hi-Power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif( Increased ) Output to the standard items. We have been waiting to make sure we have enough stock on hand before we release these. This will include " all items " we currently offer.

As soon as I am finished all items will be released and fully available. My estimate at this time is about 14hrs more worth of work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.

I will make a post as soon as this is done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you,

MJ

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJ,
Are you saying that the output of all the standard items is being increased, or that it will be an option to get the brighter output? Where does that leave those of us that have already purchased a light but want higher output? Also, any news on the foam washers for solving the battery rattle problem?

Thanks!

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Fitz said:
MJ,
Are you saying that the output of all the standard items is being increased, or that it will be an option to get the brighter output? Where does that leave those of us that have already purchased a light but want higher output? Also, any news on the foam washers for solving the battery rattle problem?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be an option.

Example:

Standard version: AAA 3 LED White 28 to 39cp
New Version being added to the list: AAA 3 LED White Hi-Power 42 to 54cp

These lights have been in high demand through the Custom Design Center. We have decided to make these standard increases available as a standard item and add all of them to the list of products. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The K2 and Everest will be added with these as well.

The price difference that we have been offering on the "standard increase" is an additional $5.00us

The price will remain the same. For the customers prior to us posting this to the site, that have purchased the standard units can have the option of going to the increased brightness for the price difference between the units.

If any one "prior to the posting of these units on the website" would like to upgrade their units please contact us and we will be more then happy to help you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If there becomes a high demand for a particular product though our Custom Design Center then there is a good chance you might see it become a standard item /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif. Our standard items that you see listed on our website are just a few things that we can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. A good friend once told me when in doubt just ask, you might be pleasantly surprised.

The solution to the battery rattle is almost complete. We will be mailing them to all pervious purchases as soon as they are available. I will post an up-date on this on Tuesday.

MJ
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Al

Enlightened
Have read your Q&A's at your web-site and understand your mfg. protocalls as described under:

"WHAT DETERMINES THE CHOICE OF LED BRAND?"
"WHAT ARE OVERDRIVEN LEDs?"

However, you probably realize the peculiarities of flashaholics in wanting the BRIGHTEST-WHITEST LEDs available even at the sacrifice of SOME runtime & emitter longevity. I have a brass 1AAA 3LED + 1LED head and a brass 1AA 5LED and consider them both to be of "showpiece" quality. My only disappointments are with color temperature (too blue), not enough sidespill (compare with ARC or ULTRA -G), and brightness. I consider these to be "walkaround" lights and would like to see a wider, whiter beam projection.

Seems to me that producing lights such as these has become as much as an art-form as an endeavor to produce a practical item for consumer use.

Please accept the above as suggestion based on personal preference and not as criticism. Look forward to doing more purchasing soon.

DallasA

Enlightened
Thank you Al I will pass it along.

Hello Everyone

Quick update most of the pages are up at this time. I will be adding more as I go and make a post when there is more.

Have a Happy 4th of July /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif!

MJ

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJ,
Just ordered a brass Hi-Power 5 red LED AA light...OK, my wife ordered it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Anyway, the Hi-Power option hit just in time for my order so this will be interesting.
Does the Hi-Power option use different LEDs or are they overdriven a bit? If they are overdriven, by how much?
I will be heading across the pond in a few months and really need a higher output red LED light than my Arc AAA can provide. Although a "blackout" light made of brass is a bit odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif it will be easier to identify in the dark. I can always throw some heatshrink on it if too shiny.
Sometimes you got to say what the #$*& and get a different light than gray or black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dallas,

I just checked your website for any updates and it is looking good! The design has changed since I last saw it, an it is definitely superior and much more user-friendly. Thanks!

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
MJ,
Just ordered a brass Hi-Power 5 red LED AA light...OK, my wife ordered it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Anyway, the Hi-Power option hit just in time for my order so this will be interesting.
Does the Hi-Power option use different LEDs or are they overdriven a bit? If they are overdriven, by how much?
I will be heading across the pond in a few months and really need a higher output red LED light than my Arc AAA can provide. Although a "blackout" light made of brass is a bit odd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif it will be easier to identify in the dark. I can always throw some heatshrink on it if too shiny.
Sometimes you got to say what the #$*& and get a different light than gray or black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Everyone:

Sorry been away on expedition over the holiday weekend. Good question here is some information on this.

" Standard Output version " : Current to the LED's limited to 23ma maximum.

" Hi-Power Output version " : Current to the LED's limited to 30ma maximum.

" Ultra-Power Output version " : Current to the LED's limited to 40ma maximum.
( note: Ultra-Power version only available at this time through the Custom Design Center )

LED manufactures recommend maximum current to WHITE LED's is 30ma.
Recommended maximum current to RED LED's is 50ma.

"Hi-Power Outputs versions" are not overdriving the LED's

An Ultra-Power Output version of 40ma to each LED would overdrive a WHITE LED, but would still be under the recommended limits of A RED LED.

At 23ma drive current ( Standard version ) the life of a WHITE LED would be about 8,000 hours, and a RED LED at about 90,000 hours.

At 30ma drive current ( Hi-Power version ) the life of a WHITE LED would be about 6,000 hours, and a RED LED at about 50,000 hours.

At 40ma drive current ( Ultra-Power version ) the life of a WHITE LED would be about 2,000 hours, and a RED LED at about 20,000 hours.

Stated hours are with a bench current supply. Individual LED life times vary by as much as 20%. Battery drive hours tend to be longer.

Personal note: That was really nice of your wife.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJ, I was looking at the black HA AA Hi Power lights, and there seems to be a price discrepency-

1.5v AA Anodized 3 LED White Hi-Power

$44.95

1.5v AA Anodized 3 LED Red Hi-Power

$39.95

1.5v AA Anodized 5 LED White Hi-Power

$39.95

1.5v AA Anodized 5 LED Red Hi-Power

$44.95

Is this correct?

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Hey Dallas,

I just checked your website for any updates and it is looking good! The design has changed since I last saw it, an it is definitely superior and much more user-friendly. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThank you!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifAnd a thank you to everyone that has provided suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Fitz said:
MJ, I was looking at the black HA AA Hi Power lights, and there seems to be a price discrepency-

$44.95

$39.95

$39.95

$44.95

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have corrected it.

$44.95 ( corrected $39.95 )

$39.95

$39.95 ( corrected $ 44.95 )

$44.95

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifThank you for pointing that out. Ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just checked on a few things and a few people got lucky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif My error their win.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think some overdriving is ok, especially in a multi-LED light, where if an LED blows out from the overdrive, there are still a couple more running. Are the electronics built in a way that having one LED blow out doesn't cause the remaining ones to either blow or stop being lit?

Arc, CMG, etc. run LED's at 50+ mA, so 40 mA "ultra power" doesn't seem like aggressive overdriving at all. 2000 hours of operating time is more than most any portable light will ever see. It's more of an issue in fixed lighting.

How about a 3-led light with 1 red, 1 green, and 1 blue LED, with the drive currents set so they blend together as white? That should give higher efficiency than a phosphor-type white led, and have no phosphor to wear out.

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I think some overdriving is ok, especially in a multi-LED light, where if an LED blows out from the overdrive, there are still a couple more running. Are the electronics built in a way that having one LED blow out doesn't cause the remaining ones to either blow or stop being lit?

Arc, CMG, etc. run LED's at 50+ mA, so 40 mA "ultra power" doesn't seem like aggressive overdriving at all. 2000 hours of operating time is more than most any portable light will ever see. It's more of an issue in fixed lighting.

How about a 3-led light with 1 red, 1 green, and 1 blue LED, with the drive currents set so they blend together as white? That should give higher efficiency than a phosphor-type white led, and have no phosphor to wear out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the circuit design is structured that if one LED out of multiple die the rest will continue to run at their same function.

Red, Green, Blue mix: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifNo joke: done that, out come not good. You never know though technology is an amazing thing.

Your correct the 40ma ( Ultra ) is not an excessive overdrive, but this is designed as option not a limitation.

If we were to stock every possibility there is to a unit we would be looking at the operational capital of lets say Bill Gates. Not going to happen anytime soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

That is why we designed the Custom Design Center. It was designed to be able to expand all the possibilities and release some of the limitations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

When we first started this we were looking at about 350 variations in possibilities. As soon as the last bit of items are up we will be offering 660 variations in possibilities as standard stock items. And yet we are just beginning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like I once stated before. If you might like something different just ask and we will do our best to see what we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.