DragonHID battery starts at 19+ volts

Greymage

Enlightened
Since the DragonHID 12 was 12 NiMHs in series, I assumed the voltage would be 14.4 volts and bought a Maha CF777-II universal charger to replace the big, bulky, ungrounded metal charger it came with. Alas, the Maha is too smart, when I connected it to the DragonHID it told me the voltage was 19+ volts, so was beyond its charging range (only charges up to 14.4 volts).

I was a little surprised by this since the DragonHID had been off the charger since it was charged a couple of weeks ago. I then ran the light for a couple of minutes, thinking that might take the edge off the battery, but that was not enough to get it in range of the charger.

Luckily the CF777 proved really good at charging my digicam batteries, the conditioning cycle put 20-30% more capacity back in the battery packs, so it wasn't a totally wasted purchase, but alas I am still seeking a replacement charger for the DragonHID.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uff...typical should be arround 17,2 or so.
Anycase I must say that this batteries are a little special, I have read on some of them even 1,54 V using different chargers and charging methods.
We decided to use them as they are superior to all the brands we have tested (more than 15 types). The self discharge rate is very low, and the curve is flatter.

I must recognize that the charger is one of the points I'm really working hard to improve, and not because of how it works, but size and weight.

They work really well, but of course there is always a possibility of a failure, in that case I will replace whatever is damaged, inlcuding battery pack.

This week, I hope, I should be receiving the "travel chargers" wich are being designed for DragonLED3 and 9. They are mobile phone sized, smart (deltaV detection) and supposed to charge the battery in less than 5 hours. 90-240V 50-6O Hz. input and ther is also a 12-24V model. Of course I will test them intensively before ofering them, but I think they will match what I'm looking for.

Soon a similar battery charger will be developed for 14.4 V models

PeterB

Enlightened
Is this high voltage save for the ballast (I think WA specifies a maximum voltage of 15.5V)

Greymage

Enlightened
I wouldn't think so, but I've run it a couple of hours, so my guess is that what I'm measuring at the charger end may not be what's getting to the ballast. At least, I hope that's the case.