Available high heat glue for potting

moraino

Enlightened
I've got several bare WA bulbs, WA1318 etc, needs to be potted. I've bought the J-B Weld from local store, rated 300F, but I doubt if the temperature rating is sufficient for an 15-20watt bulb.

The specialized potting compound is too expensive because you have to buy it in a litre size from what I've read. It is rated somewhere 2000-3000 F.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of high heat (2000-3000F) potting compound such as epoxy can be purchased locally in small amount?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the goal is 'buy it down the street in a small can' I'd suggest looking into the cements used to repair fireplaces and furnaces.

Otherwise, I've used a high temperature ceramic cement (two part) from Omega a company that sells, amongst other stuff, thermocouples. It's used in installations.

There are also soduim silicate and similar based products in the auto parts store for exhaust repairs, but the strength is often poor.

Epoxies, per se, are out.

Doug Owen

moraino

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oeo2oo said:
Start here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/products.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi oeo2oo,
Thanks for the reply. I have those silver stuff for my CPU and Lxeon but I don't think they are for potting the HOT bulbs, not to mention for $24, in CANADA, a pop it sure is expensive to filler up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Henry

moraino

Enlightened
Hi Doug,

Your suggestion does light up the path. I've got a few stores to visit tomorrow. Thanks & have a nice weekend. Be sure to put on the sunglasses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Henry

*Retired*
3120 RTV is rated for use up to 572F, and would impart some shock dampening. Do you know the actual temperature?

http://www.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090007b58012f19f.pdf

There are some MasterBond products that are 600F and one up to 1500F:
http://www.masterbond.com/sg/htsg.pdf

Cerambond:

Ceramabond? 835 bonds halogen bulb.

Ceramabond? 503 bonds Pt/40Rh heater wire on an alumina
core. This assembly is part of a hi-temp process furnace used aboard the space shuttle.

New Ceramabond 671 Bonds Metals and Ceramics at High Temps
SUMMARYCeramabond? 671, a new high temperature ceramic adhesive developed by Aremco Products, Inc., is now used in the assembly of high temperature thermocouple housings used in furnace, boiler and stack applications to 3200°F (1760°C).

FEATURES

Ceramabond? 671 is a single part, water-dispersible, aluminum oxide based adhesive and coating system that offers exceptional mechanical and electrical properties to 3200°F (1760°C). Physical properties include torque strength of 24.0 ft-lbs, dielectric strength of 250 volts per mil at room temperature, and a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of 4.1 in/in/°F x 10-6

New Ceramabond 671 Bonds Metals and Ceramics at High Temps
SUMMARYCeramabond? 671, a new high temperature ceramic adhesive developed by Aremco Products, Inc., is now used in the assembly of high temperature thermocouple housings used in furnace, boiler and stack applications to 3200°F (1760°C).

FEATURES

Ceramabond? 671 is a single part, water-dispersible, aluminum oxide based adhesive and coating system that offers exceptional mechanical and electrical properties to 3200°F (1760°C). Physical properties include torque strength of 24.0 ft-lbs, dielectric strength of 250 volts per mil at room temperature, and a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of 4.1 in/in/°F x 10-6

http://www.aremco.com/adhesives-and-sealants.html

Oh, forgot to mention, alot of companies offer sample packages...

moraino

Enlightened
Hi Newbie,

Looks like the 835 and 835M will work. It says they are for Halogen Lamps. Now I'll figure out how to get the free sample. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the link.

Henry

paulr

Flashaholic
See also the Tigerlight upgrade thread. js bought some specialized ceramic potting compound for those monster WA bulbs and he might be willing to part with some, since he got a pretty big supply.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
See also the Tigerlight upgrade thread. js bought some specialized ceramic potting compound for those monster WA bulbs and he might be willing to part with some, since he got a pretty big supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. I had to buy a pint of the Cotronics (www.cotronics.com) Resbond 940LE. It was $64.95 plus shipping. It's rated to 2500 F and is quite pleasant to work with. I can sell small amounts but it needs to be mixed by weight and you'll need a scale accurate to .1 grams or better. I can pre-measure it for you, but then you'd only have one shot to get it right. Let me know if you're interested.

JB Weld and high temp silicone gasket materials are just not up to the heat that the high wattage halogen lamps produce. Plus the WA lamps are smaller than usual, which concentrates the heat to a smaller area, which means a higher temperature. 750 F is the number I'd be comfortable with in a potting compound, or higher, but not a degree lower.

moraino

Enlightened
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offering. I have about 6 or 7 WA bulbs to be potted in the PR base. I also have two CL1940 reflectors from last groupbuy. I'll just cut off the fat rearend near the hole of the reflector and use the pr bulbs.

I assume the 940LE is the two part adhesive. That would be great If you can send me maybe two syringe tubes with parts premeasured for the proportion of 2.3:1 enough for matbe 7 bulbs.

Please email or PM me for the detail. Thanks alot.

Henry

PS, just noticed my membership # has been changed to "1160" a very familiar number. "Bright"

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
moraino,

It doesn't work like that. It comes in two plastic containers, not syringes. And I can't put it into syringes. I can put it into plastic bottles--small nalgene bottles to be exact--and if I pre-measure it to the right ratio 100:45, you'll have to do all 7 at once, and the pot life is only 20 minutes, so you won't be able to do it. Potting lamps is anything but easy. Trust me. I have botched on the order of $30-$40 worth of Welch Allyn lamps in the process of learning what to do. I mean, especially if you care about a normal looking beam, with reasonably centered hot spot, you are going to want to have lots of el cheapo bulbs to practice on first. And you'll need a scale accurate to .1 grams to mix the 940 LE. I don't have the time to pre-measure 10 sets of potting compound, and you wouldn't want to pay for 20 nalgene bottles and shipping.

Why didn't you have Carley pot these bulbs into a PR base?

Might I suggest that the best solution is to make up a bi-pin to PR base adaptor. Illuminated posted a thread detailing how to do this. Pin Receptacles for DIP PR-Base Adaptors

I can still sell you some of the 940LE, but there's the same problem of having an accurate scale. I also have the Molex and Mil-Max connectors John mentions.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer, but there's no easy way (or cheap) to do what you want to do.

moraino

Enlightened
Jim,

OK, I'll try out the JB-Weld.

Could you sell me some Mil-Max? Maybe 7 sets.

I've got an idea, since the Mil-Wax is to be used with circuit board. I would make a small round circuit board with Mil-Max inserted and put it on top of the PR base close to the lip. It may serves to stablized the pins just in case the JB-Weld is softening.

Henry

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry,

JB-Weld might work. Depends on the wattage of your bulb, but a circuit board is out. G10 is only good to 120 C or so.

I can't spare 7 sets of the Mil-Max connectors. I could sell you one or two sets, for $2 a set shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Why not send these bulbs to Carley to have them potted?