Anyone know the best coloured light to view fish?

naromtap

Enlightened
Ok, my girlfriend buys a SF G2, a work colleague who was very proud of his 3D Mag gets her to get HIM a SF G2 after she takes hers into work for comparism, She gets him one via me, she comes home today & tells me he is well chuffed with it but he wants to use it nightly to look at his fish & err newts, in his pond outside, so now has asked us to get him the rechargeable kit for the G2 but also a beam filter as he feels it may be a bit bright for the fish, my girlfriend suggested a red one, are they barking up the right tree?, anyone know before I order the parts?? I've searched the net but only seem to come up with Aquarium light related stuff. Any pointers appreciated.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Yeah, The best light to view fish is the one which hangs over the dinner table!

Seriously though I dont think fish are able to see in colour? From the point of view of you seeing them I suspect that any white incandescent or Led would be ok, barring reflections.

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
Re: Anyone know the best coloured light to view fi

I find that fish are drawn to the moonlight-like light produced from my white 5mm mods. Brings them right to the surface.

naromtap

Enlightened

Yeah I've read a lot now on the net & to be honest my brain is feeling a little fried but I did find out that blue light penetrates water the best & red the worst, fish can see in colour, their eyes may be slower to respond from low to bright light due to there different make up but deal with light variation fine in general. I was starting to think that if he just wants to admire them then maybe an LED would be better anyway as he'd get better colour definition!!.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if there is a beam shaper available for the G2, but if so, that would tone down the intensity of the light without losing the full spectrum white light. I think he would like the result.