Why doesn't my cat purr?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Why doesn\'t my cat purr?

My cat, Zoro, almost never purrs. I have heard him purr only three times, and each time, it wasn't over 10 seconds. His purring is also about an octive lower than other cats I've heard. Zoro will be 2 1/2 at the end of August.

Zoro does make a sound I can only describe as, what I would imagine he would sound like, in the throws of passion. It's a very deep, gutteral, breathing sound. This is what Zoro does when he's happy and content. For instance, when I'm brushing or petting him.

Does anyone else have a cat that does this? Will my cat learn to purr when he's older?

oldgrandpajack

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Why doesn\'t my cat purr?

I've had cats that seldom purred, and some that seem to purr anytime they got within sight of you. While frequent purring is typical of cats, it's not an absolute.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ill give ya to kittens if ya want they purr im not a cat person but they needed a place to stay

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

The deep guttural breathing sound is probably his version of purring. I wouldn't worry about it, but have you asked your vet? I'm sure he or she would know.

I just love cats. All of mine have purred, more or less frequently, but always some of the time.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

My folks have a cat that makes a hushed, vaguely purring sound while breathing - he can also purr audibly, but he's more apt to growl than purr being a bitter old cat.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Raggie:
My son brought home a kitten, to keep Zoro company. Zoro was about 8 or 9 months old. That poor kitten almost didn't survive. It started to live in the ceiling of the basement, because Zoro couldn't get it there. Zoro was terrible! I ended up finding a new home for the kitten. It was the prettiest kitten, having a blue coat and eyes. Zoro has a black coat and yellow eyes. He is great with me, Billy and the grandchildren, but I pity any other cat he gets a hold of.

I keep him indoors. My living room window is from the floor to the ceiling, and Zoro stands guard. When a cat or dog crosses the yard, he slams into the glass. You'd almost think he would knock himself out. Does the same thing when the UPS guy comes. Zoro is very territorial! Unfortunately, he still marks from time to time. He's been fixed for well over a year too.

oldgrandpajack

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zoro sounds like he's half dog from his antics when he spots another critter. My cat was as calm as the mississippi river unless he was physically threatened by a dog at which point he went ballistic on the poor dog and would go for the eyes with his front claws and the dogs nose with the rear claws, there were very rarely repeat attempts by a dog that had encountered him once.

HunterSon

Enlightened

I have a 8 year old cat the was raised by our dog (lab/husky mix) since it was three weeks old. Besides playing with string it does very little else that is cat like.
It doesn't meyow, it sort of has a bark - howl like a dog. It isn't stealthy, when it runs through the house the 15 lb cat makes as much noise as the 70 lb dog.
It fetches (better than the dog ever did). It slams into the doors and windows when ever it sees another animal and can't stand other dogs or cats besides ours.
It doesn't claw like a cat, it bites and shakes like a dog. It likes water (more specifically standing under running water).
I refer to the cat as it because she never really had a name. We just call her "Cat" or "Puss-puss" and she comes running.

Oh yeah, she snores loud enough to wake me up in the night.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Is Zoro dead? That's a possible explanation. To confirm it's time to take out the SureFire M6 for some pupil dialation tests...

Yikes! He's alive but blind and still not purring.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

My sister had a cat that never purred.
It was a scary cat. My mom had it at her house for a while.
I got into an argument with my mom and that cat grabbed one of my moms legs with all four set's of claws.
I also remember that I pissed it off some how and it was growling and coming slowly towards me.
I started to get a little worried so I grabbed 3 c batteries off of the kitchen table and I lobbed them at it.
I was not trying to hurt it or anything.
It actually came at me faster so I just sort of shoved it with my foot then I started backing away from it.
it calmed down after that.
I would not own a cat like that too aggressive.
I think it was a Siamese male and it was not neutered.
I don't know how much it weighed around 15 pounds or so.
makes me wonder if it was abused or something.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe it needs a high voltage jump start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(I have earned the right to pick on cats due to being woken up many times at night as the "cat train" goes flying across the bed)

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

It might not be a bad thing -- purring does NOT always mean contentment.
Cats also purr to comfort themselves when scared or in pain.

capnal

Enlightened

Hey oldgrandpajack,
I have a herd of cats at my house. Let me tell you about one in particular. Back in 2001, my wife was online pen-pals with a girl in Portland. Anyway, make this story short. Elderly man up there was feeding this cat. Cat lived outside, and old man up and moves away, abandons cat. The girl in Portland takes him in, takes him to vet for shots, check up, and neuter. Vet comes back and says cat is FIV positive, and recommends putting him down. Girl doesn't want to, talks to my wife. Girl then sends husband on a plane with cat in travel carrier and hand delivers him to us in Fort Worth. We take him to vet, tests negative for FIV (which is common on a retest).

Now we have had our wonderful Tiger for over 3 years!! He is really big, over 25 pounds. REALLY BIG. All this time, although he is affectionate, he NEVER PURRED!! He didn't like all the extra cats around, either. Although he wasn't mean to them, he just stayed to himself.

Anyway, bought our house in March 2003. After getting settled, we let Tiger come in the back yard with us and sit out on the back porch. What did he do? HE STARTED PURRING!! He jumped into my lap and started kneading just like a kitten, and was purring like he wouldn't stop. he absolutely loved being outside and wasn't afraid to show me. Now Tiger goes out whenever he wants, and he will start purring when you go near the door. He is absolutely two different cats. Inside he doesn't really sit with you or meow or purr. Outside he is a lap cat, with lots of meowing (cat talking) and constant purring. Total switched personality.

My point, maybe your cat needs a change of environment? Something to get him in a different mood?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I have never heard Zoro meow. He talks up a storm though. He is very loud when he wants something. He has long drawn out moans and groans. He also snorts and chuffs. Sometimes he even pleads with me. He can sound so sad when he pleads.

Zorro can sound like a heard of buffalo when he runs too. Then at other times, he is so quiet, I've stepped on his tail and tripped over him. Been thinking about getting a bell for him, so I know where he is, at night.

He wakes me by putting his nose in my mouth. He is very demanding and I am here to serve. Zoro also will run across me, punching me with every step. His signal, for going out to the garage, is to do a running jump and U-Turn on my chest, when I'm sitting on the couch.

oldgrandpajack

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow 25 pounds that is a lot of cat
sounds like he has quite the personality

It is amazing the range of sounds some cats make.
I wonder is a smart cat as smart as a smart dog ?

dark star

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:...
I wonder is a smart cat as smart as a smart dog ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course cats are smarter then dogs, you will never find eight cats pulling a sled through snow.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened

Mostly when people have both a cat and a dog, the cat is boss.
Don't know if that makes them smarter or just more bossy.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why doesn't my cat purr?

Cause he's not Puurfect? (couldn't help it)
Cause he has determined we aren't worthy? (probably)

Cats are highly intelligent beings that exist in multiple dimensions simultaenously. When you think you have his attention and he is looking at you, he is really looking at something past you in the other continum.

That is how they can function on 26 hours of sleep per day.

There is a little tiny Nightstar generator at the base of the neck by the shoulder blades that you have to stroke several hundred times to charge up the purr motor. A cat that doesn't purr has an "owner" who does not devote the required 100% attention to the furry center of the universe.

I read that either in Pop Science or the National Enquirer.